Whats up with Laine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonzo111

Leafs Fan
Oct 31, 2017
Canaderp
He is stuck with the line combination that he has been the least effective with (by far) since entering the league...

Catch a game and see for yourself. Little will find laine in open ice like once every 10 games while both laine and ehlers are rather weak at the boards... they have different playstyles and dont compliment eachother well at all. Watch all of laines 44 goals last season and see how many are due to little despite playing over half a season together.

Honestly its just lame at this point. Matthews is due for a monster season and is sepparating himself big time no question about it.

Laine should still be able to catch up with his epic streaks but next to little i doubt it. None of his hattricks is with little for a good reason. None of little laine and ehlers should be on the same line in my opinion.
Yeah little needs to get off that line.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
There's just nothing clicking 5 on 5 right now and on the PP just hasn't happened yet aside from that early goal in game 1.

But it's also not been an easy schedule to start, some really heavy Western grinders to start with. LA is tough to score on, Preds wanted revenge as did Dallas who were mad after getting swept last year and outworked us. I think Laine will get something going in the upcoming homestand when we have Canes, Oilers, Canucks and Coyotes coming into town so there should be more open ice available.

But yeah - there's an issue down the middle. Scheifele and Lowry lines can play that heavy game PoMo loves, but then there's only lighter people to play with Laine like Ehlers, Little, Perreault, Roslovic..

I think it's inevitable we're going to shake things up, put Laine with Scheifele and maybe Connor with Little and Ehlers or something. At some point the team comes first even if PoMo loves that top line.

It's funny because i think Laine looks like he could be a better player this year, but a tough start. Still small sample size, re-visit this after 10 games.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
He has really quick and smooth hands though, but I do agree with the skating to some degree.
I feel like he tends to wait for the last opportunity possible when trying to outplay defenders with his hands and it coupled with his sluggish looking skating makes him look slow as a whole

He isn't an all around stud, he "just" possesses one of the best shots in the game

Reactions: FFHockey

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
I feel like he tends to wait for the last opportunity possible when trying to outplay defenders with his hands and it coupled with his sluggish looking skating makes him look slow as a whole

He isn't an all around stud, he "just" possesses one of the best shots in the game
He still is a great playmaker and very elusive in 1v1's. If he could get some quickness to those feet then he will be golden!

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
knew this thread was made by a leafs fan before I even opened it, and I'm actually saying this being a huge Matthews fan lol

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I remember getting bitched at by the Laine faithful when I said he couldn't drive his own line. Look at all these complaints about his center not being able to get him the puck.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
I remember getting *****ed at by the Laine faithful when I said he couldn't drive his own line. Look at all these complaints about his center not being able to get him the puck.
Yeah well is Kuch able to really drive his own line? I agree Laine isn’t able to drive his own line like a CENTER could. Maybe it’s because he is a winger and doesn’t have the tools for it?

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Yeah well is Kuch able to really drive his own line? I agree Laine isn’t able to drive his own line like a CENTER could. Maybe it’s because he is a winger and doesn’t have the tools for it?

There are plenty of wingers around the league who drive their own lines so let's not get that mixed up. And no he doesn't have the tools for it and that's what I said in the past but some Jets/ Finnish fans (who compared him to Lemieux, lol) thought otherwise. Just felt like I point out the fact again 2 years later. That's all. Glad you agree with me. :)

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
First of all, Laine is the best teenage goal scorer the NHL has ever seen. And he is hitting these milestones while playing on this atrocious line. If you think Laine is somehow done for, you are in for a treat as he develops further.

He can't be happy, though, being delivered another **** meat sandwich in his third year. Even the extra mayo won't help.

Reactions: FVM and LAINEC

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
I'll wager there will be a counter "OMG look how amazing Laine is playing" thread within a month. The Jets are off to a slow start and that team is too talented to not produce long term.

7g 16pts in the last 31gp is a pretty surprising slump, however. Can Ehlers-Little-Laine really be that bad of a line? Weren't some people arguing Little is a 1C? Ehlers > Nylander? Laine > not Laine? All the ingredients are there, maybe its coaches utilization?

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
I'll wager there will be a counter "OMG look how amazing Laine is playing" thread within a month. The Jets are off to a slow start and that team is too talented to not produce long term.

7g 16pts in the last 31gp is a pretty surprising slump, however. Can Ehlers-Little-Laine really be that bad of a line? Weren't some people arguing Little is a 1C? Ehlers > Nylander? Laine > not Laine? All the ingredients are there, maybe its coaches utilization?

Little is AHL-level at this point.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
only 1 goal in his last 10 games to end the regular season
5 goals in 17 playoff games
1 goal so far in 4 games this year.

7 goals in 31 games is pretty shocking for a kid that had 44 last year. only 16points total as well

is he banged up or just on an extended cold streak

hopefully he turns it around because Matthews vs Laine was the next Sid vs OV
Matthews has blown it wide open with 9 goals already this year
yeah cause Ive never seen a sniper slump before....:sarcasm:

srnd9399

Apr 10, 2018
NB, Canada
See this is why I rarely come to the main boards...too much trolling. Both are tremendous players, just be happy the Leafs have one of them. Matthews has had some rough stretches in the past also. The Leafs have a tough 5 games ahead of them, lets see how they fare against stronger competition.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Who cares about Laine. I have Ehlers in my pool, and he's rocking 0 goals / 0 assists so far!

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
I apologize that 1) A Leaf fan started this to what looks like gloat. 2) For any mention of Matthews.

Laine is just a little snake bitten, he'll catch fire soon and by the end of the year be right there with the Rocket contenders. He's too much of an elite goal scorer not to be.
Just my opinion.

Reactions: wabagee

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Almost as impressive as Sam Gagner... If I recall it right, Sam had 8G and 4A in only 4 games at some point in his career...
3 players have started the year like Austin Matthews has in the last 30 years (9 goals in 5 games).

Lemieux
Ovechkin
Marleau
Matthews

Seriously. Go back to bed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad