Whats up with Laine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Career average shooting... 17.1%. This year 7.5%. He even goes back to 15%, and he's got 6 goals and 3 assists in 10 games, and nobody is talking.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Laine will bounce back eventually. The guy scored 44 goals last season and now he's supposed to have magically regressed to a level he was before his rookie year? Give me a break, all players go through droughts.

The goals will come and hopefully his overall game...everyone knows he can do way better than he is now which is why some worry...so far as i understand jets as a whole havent looked too good (still havw a good record tho) so its not just laine...its just laine being the most promising player who struggles that makes people edgy.

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta
Thanks for recognizing this.

Even though Laine has struggled mightily this season, and seemingly stagnated a bit. He still isn't a disappointment to me, relative to my expectations after the draft. I mean the guy finished 2nd in goals in his 19 year old season, that's phenomenal. I'm confident he will figure this out.

The Fortnite talk in here is an absolute joke. People saying the average game is 30 minutes and that there are 5-10 minutes between games have no idea what they are talking about. The average game is probably 5-10 minutes and the time between games is probably a minute or two.

A good player like myself or Laine, will easily last 18+ minutes in a game.

FinRanger

Jan 15, 2013
Yeah, mental issues seem likely considering how he acted back in the day in Finland. I think he tell his coach that he would kill him or something, and because of his attitude, some coaches were even going as far as to say that he would never have a career in the NHL. Maybe he never really fixed his attitude and it's showing up on ice.

Yeah there is something there. He is a pretty silent guy in the locker room. And Scheifele said that many times when he asks Laine to dinner Laine says that he cant go because he has an important video game that evening. I think the biggest thing is that Laine thinks too much. He is too calm on the ice. He is stuck in his own head and thoughts. He needs to wake up. Be in the present moment when there is NHL game going on.

Like wtf happened on that Kapanen goal last night!? Laine was so so casual in front of his own goal and Kapanen easily took it away. He needs to be more explosive, more reactive and have more urgency. And start moving his feet! Maybe he has some attitude problems, I don't know. But In my opinion the biggest thing is that he thinks too much and is not mentally in the present moment.

I think sports psychologist could help Laine. This is of course just my analysis.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
People can crucify him for a terrible performance. Fair enough.
Keep in mind he was about an inch from a beautiful goal and could have had a couple of other ones. So even in a game where he looks terrible he still could have influenced / changed the outcome.

He’s off to a slow start and has laid some stinkers. None more than Wednesday night. But he has had some really good performances this season and was part of a positive line shuffle vs St Louis that got the Jets a big come back win.

Criticism is fair but overly focusing on this game leads to comments that are over the top. Lots of Jets sucked that game, Laine just has an extra spotlight on him and is a juicy target.

The same positive over reaction will happen when he goes on a scoring streak.
He needs to do better and based on his short career will.

In the meantime people trying to win interpret arguments from the last 2+ years will feast on this.

Bon appetite

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Yeah there is something there. He is a pretty silent guy in the locker room. And Scheifele said that many times when he asks Laine to dinner Laine says that he cant go because he has an important video game that evening. I think the biggest thing is that Laine thinks too much. He is too calm on the ice. He is stuck in his own head and thoughts. He needs to wake up. Be in the present moment when there is NHL game going on.

Like wtf happened on that Kapanen goal last night!? Laine was so so casual in front of his own goal and Kapanen easily took it away. He needs to be more explosive, more reactive and have more urgency. And start moving his feet! Maybe he has some attitude problems, I don't know. But In my opinion the biggest thing is that he thinks too much and is not mentally in the present moment.

I think sports psychologist could help Laine. This is of course just my analysis.

Where are you getting this information? Could you share a link.

FinRanger

Jan 15, 2013
Where are you getting this information? Could you share a link.

TSN has taken down the video where Scheifele said that about Laine. Just tried to search it. It was some spoof video with that Cabbie guy. Interviewing different jets players. He asked at least Ehlers and Scheifele about different jets players. Like what would be their role in a household. I don't remember the exact role in question but it was something like "who likes to just hang around home". Then Scheifele said Laine and mentioned the gaming thing.

Here is some discussion about the video:

It has been taken down because of other reasons though.

Laine has been said to be pretty laid back and silent person. I don't have a link for that. Seen many Jets interviews the past 2 seasons.

But my take is that Laine thinks too much. Maurice has said that he is very hard on himself when he does not score. I think that is one effect of overthinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad