Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Sebastian Aho needs Sebastian Aho to truly unlock his Super Saiyan form. Sebastian Aho and Sebastian Aho could account for the goal AND an assist! Or the primary AND secondary assist. Imagine the possibilities. Call Lou. :)

Reactions: Ebbisen

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I don't like making conclusions based on the first few games of the season but Aho probably fits the bill based on the ability he has previously shown. No reason he can't be a top end centre.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He was already a legit 1st line winger last year, though obviously the bar is higher at C, as are the 2-way responsibilities. I’d like to see him prove himself at C (at the NHL level) for more like 20-40 games before declaring him a “legit 1C”, but he’s off to a great start.

RibFrabcus

Bevy of Humanity
Aug 28, 2015
Triad, NC
"Marner is playing with JT yes"

This argument is now over with that comment. Point has been proven. Seriously though, why di Leaf fans come in here and do this in every thread about someone who isn't a Leaf?

Adjusting for higher quality teammates is fine, negating anything a player does because of it is absurd. Coming from a canes fan.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
He was on his own level against Wild. Amazing how he has been able to take yet another step forward. If there's a player in the league that resembles McDavid, right now i can't think of a better one than Aho.

I will also say that when NHL joins the next Olympics Barkov won't be the #1 center on Finnish team.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
It's funny how quickly you can go from looking weak down the middle, to feeling confident with a group of Aho, Staal and Necas.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
In my mind he’s absolutely a #1C.

He’s shown great durability and the the ability to handle the full NHL season while putting up good numbers.

Looks like a natural progression to me that he’s now achieving his potential as a #1C, hopefully he can maintain his PPG status and contend for the scoring title.

Fables

Apr 27, 2015
He was already a legit 1st line winger last year, though obviously the bar is higher at C, as are the 2-way responsibilities. I’d like to see him prove himself at C (at the NHL level) for more like 20-40 games before declaring him a “legit 1C”, but he’s off to a great start.

I agree that 5 games is too small of a sample size to make conclusions. However there are other reasons (besides those 5 games) to believe that Aho will be legit 1C in NHL and likely a very good/elite one.

-Aho played 1C for Finland in WJC and was great in that role
-He has high IQ and has always been a player that makes others in the same line better whether Aho has played center or winger
-He played C for Carolina the last few games last season and did not look out of place
-He played C for Finland in world championships last spring and was again great in that role...and finished second in the score board between Patrik Kane and Connor McDavid
-He has always had very good two way game and high compete level
-Not only has he great stats in those five games this season but he has also passed the eye test with flying colors.

At this point I have little doubt that Aho is/will be a legit 1C. The current pace is of course not sustainable but Aho still seems to be on an upward trajectory in his development so it will be very intresting to see how good he can actually be.

Last edited:

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
In a postgame interview last night Tripp mentioned that Aho looked faster and stronger on his skates this year and asked him if there was something in particular he had worked on over the summer. Aho's response: "I've been working for 21 years now to get better and I'm not done. I want to be better everyday."

Given his skills, hockey smarts, and attitude, I don't think I'm going too far out on a limb predicting that the kid is going to be a special player by the time he's done. Only down side to Aho's start this season is that the cost of extending him has undoubtedly gone up. Canes need to lock him down as quickly as possible.

Backcheckmonster3

Aug 19, 2018
In a postgame interview last night Tripp mentioned that Aho looked faster and stronger on his skates this year and asked him if there was something in particular he had worked on over the summer. Aho's response: "I've been working for 21 years now to get better and I'm not done. I want to be better everyday."

Given his skills, hockey smarts, and attitude, I don't think I'm going too far out on a limb predicting that the kid is going to be a special player by the time he's done. Only down side to Aho's start this season is that the cost of extending him has undoubtedly gone up. Canes need to lock him down as quickly as possible.

What´s most impressive about him is his mindset. Pragmatic, sensible, intelligent approach. He seems to know his strenghts and weaknesses and works to adapt all the time to optimize his impact. Reminds me of Scheifele in that regard except he even broke out way earlier.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I'll say it. If Aho had the media exposure Marner has and was playing center like he has this year, he'd already be a top 10 C ranked by Sportsnet and TSN. This could be the best thing for Carolina to get a legitimate star center and surround them with a yearly playoff team and they are almost there. They need more exposure, put him in an outdoor game or something.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Already four points behind Matthews. I think he needs a goal scorer on his wing as otherwise a lot of his playmaking potential goes to waste in missed goal opportunities. Would a trade for struggling Laine make sense for Carolina?
I'm not sure Laine would be the best player to trade for. McDavid would be a better fit. Put McDavid on wing and let Aho feed him sick passes all game.

If for some reason you can't trade for McDavid, I'd settle for MacKinnon or even Matthews if need be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad