What's up with Aho?

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I'm not even surprised of seeing him not only making a smooth transition as a center, but actually owning it. He was so damn good last season and looks to get only better. He's like S. Koivu with far greater goal scoring ability. Will be one of the top centers in the league for the next decade or so. Can only imagine what he'll do with Svechnikov when they're older.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I agree that 5 games is too small of a sample size to make conclusions. However there are other reasons (besides those 5 games) to believe that Aho will be legit 1C in NHL and likely a very good/elite one.

-Aho played 1C for Finland in WJC and was great in that role
-He has high IQ and has always been a player that makes others in the same line better whether Aho has played center or winger
-He played C for Carolina the last few games last season and did not look out of place
-He played C for Finland in world championships last spring and was again great in that role...and finished second in the score board between Patrik Kane and Connor McDavid
-He has always had very good two way game and high compete level
-Not only has he great stats in those five games this season but he has also passed the eye test with flying colors.

At this point I have little doubt that Aho is/will be a legit 1C. The current pace is of course not sustainable but Aho still seems to be on an upward trajectory in his development so it will be very intresting to see how good he can actually be.
Yeah agreed, I think chances are good that he can be a legit 1C at the NHL level. Just wanna see him do it for decently longer than 5 games before I say “he’s there.”

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I've always found Aho to be over rated but the guy is putting up great #'s thus far. Will he continue that all season? Have to find out but what's up with Aho is he's a very good player on the verge of being great.

Unsustainable

Bunch of Jerks
Apr 14, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I'll say it. If Aho had the media exposure Marner has and was playing center like he has this year, he'd already be a top 10 C ranked by Sportsnet and TSN. This could be the best thing for Carolina to get a legitimate star center and surround them with a yearly playoff team and they are almost there. They need more exposure, put him in an outdoor game or something.

He was ranked as a top 10 RW, only played 2 games as a RW. So that’s impressive

Reactions: behemolari

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I've always found Aho to be over rated but the guy is putting up great #'s thus far. Will he continue that all season? Have to find out but what's up with Aho is he's a very good player on the verge of being great.
Aho overrated? He's talked about just about never despite now scoring at a 2 PPG pace, this after scoring 18 points in 8 games at WHCs.

He's underrated if anything.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
It's absurd how little the mainstream media talk about him due to being in Carolina. He's much better than a guy like Laine who you hear about non stop. One of the very best young players in the league

Reactions: behemolari

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
It's absurd how little the mainstream media talk about him due to being in Carolina. He's much better than a guy like Laine who you hear about non stop. One of the very best young players in the league
He’s stepped in as the 1C seamlessly down there imo. If he keeps it up people will be able to start making the case for him as being an elite talent in the NHL imo. I see no reason why he won’t be able to get people talking about him in that light sooner rather than later.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
He’s stepped in as the 1C seamlessly down there imo. If he keeps it up people will be able to start making the case for him as being an elite talent in the NHL imo. I see no reason why he won’t be able to get people talking about him in that light sooner rather than later.
He's unreal, I already have him at least in that Marner/Schiefele tier and he's only getting better.

Last edited:

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Why is every thread turning into the player on topic vs. some Leafs player (usually one of Matthews or Marner)? Are Leafs fans that insecure?

ManWithNoName

Unregistered User
Jul 9, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden

I agree with you. Playing in Carolina will not give you any attention. Also, the Carolina fans on here don't make too much noise. Judging by their own part of the forums it looks like they are more interested in giving each other likes and dicussing other things, such as what they are drinking or eating. They wouldn't even notice if the team was moved.

Sinkkunaattori

Go Waffles Go
Aug 5, 2011
Can you imagine if the Leafs picked Aho instead of Travis Dermott at pick #34, while I like Dermott it's not even close, boy was I mad at Hunter for skipping Aho and the very next pick he goes.

So close to having a Finnish superstar player with my favorite team... twice. Both my favorite players too, darn it. alas, #34 is fine I guess.

Edit: Oh right I was supposed to get in on this Marner is better or something fight--- aand nope, Marner's my fav Leafs player and I'll just choose to love both Aho and Marner, just like I loove Laine & Matthews is fine i guess. lol.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Aho is better.

Same point production.

Better all around player.

Plays a more important position.

Aho also has had a worse team and linemates to work with
Except Marner has out-produced Aho significantly since they've both come into the league.

Aho's not even in the same tier as Marner. Time to get with the program.

Reactions: DriveFor9th

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->