What's up with Aho?

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
How do you know that? People are acting like Marner is a product of his team for god sakes. I am probably one of the few who actually watch both every game. My opinions

- It's been like 5ish games, so we need to kind of get a bigger sample size. However Aho has been all over the ice and clearly a franchise forward.

- Marner is being undersold defensively (and if we are saying Marner gets better offense support then Aho gets way better defense support)

- I don't know who I would take but no one should be coming into this thread and pretending there is some sort of clear gap. Marner is a much smarter player with more insane vision and a better passer / playmaker. Aho appears to be stronger, able to play in traffic better, has a better shot. Both elite skaters. It's very hard to say one is better than the other

- Let's stop pretending that Aho has no support as well.. The Canes are a good team this year and yes that has a lot to do with Aho but they have scoring depth in the lineup for the first time in forever it feels like. His linemates are also playing really well. Marner is playing with JT yes but last year had Bozak and JVR and then Kadri and Brown/Marleau and they were playing at a similar pace. I don't think these linemates have any impact beyond maybe a few point difference a season.

So really I have no idea who I take. All I can say is they are in the same tier. I guess if Aho is going to be a center you take him when starting a team but to be fair to the Leafs Marner could be a center as well (was in Junior) but he is just not needed there.

People really need to stop this whole another planet / another level stuff. Most of the time the players are way closer than anyone admits.

"Marner is playing with JT yes"

This argument is now over with that comment. Point has been proven. Seriously though, why di Leaf fans come in here and do this in every thread about someone who isn't a Leaf?

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Marner is a much smarter player with more insane IQ, and a better passer / playmaker. Aho appears to be stronger, able to play in traffic better, has a better shot. Both elite skaters. It's very hard to say one is better than the other
That is some heavy bullshit right there.

I'm not commenting on anything else but I wouldn't either call Marner the better playmaker straight up.

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
How do you know that? People are acting like Marner is a product of his team for god sakes. I am probably one of the few who actually watch both every game. My opinions

- It's been like 5ish games, so we need to kind of get a bigger sample size. However Aho has been all over the ice and clearly a franchise forward.

- Marner is being undersold defensively (and if we are saying Marner gets better offense support then Aho gets way better defense support)

- I don't know who I would take but no one should be coming into this thread and pretending there is some sort of clear gap. Marner is a much smarter player with more insane vision and a better passer / playmaker. Aho appears to be stronger, able to play in traffic better, has a better shot. Both elite skaters. It's very hard to say one is better than the other

- Let's stop pretending that Aho has no support as well.. The Canes are a good team this year and yes that has a lot to do with Aho but they have scoring depth in the lineup for the first time in forever it feels like. His linemates are also playing really well. Marner is playing with JT yes but last year had Bozak and JVR and then Kadri and Brown/Marleau and they were playing at a similar pace. I don't think these linemates have any impact beyond maybe a few point difference a season.

So really I have no idea who I take. All I can say is they are in the same tier. I guess if Aho is going to be a center you take him when starting a team but to be fair to the Leafs Marner could be a center as well (was in Junior) but he is just not needed there.

People really need to stop this whole another planet / another level stuff. Most of the time the players are way closer than anyone admits.
Thats true. I think Aho is overall smarter player with better shot. But Marner has edge on playmaking/vision. They are close and at this point I have Aho in front. But difference is not big and others could see it differently.

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
I just want to stop reading about Leafs please.

This is coming from a Leafs fan who naively clicked on this thread, hoping to learn more about other team's players.

Agreed. As someone who has followed him mostly through watching highlights, I wish it didn't have to instantly devolve into another Aho vs. Marner poll. Aho looks legit so far this year!

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I've always rated Aho very highly, one of the smartest players I've ever seen, who reads and plays the game on a very complete level. This is a rare skill in a player. He always seems to get the max out of his linemates and make people around him better. Even more so when playing at C. I also always felt C is the natural position for him.

I had trouble trying to estimate where he'd end up, because it seemed clear to the eye he is/was a late bloomer physically. When he was 17/18 he looked more like 14/15 year old. He seems to be manning up just now in a way most players do 2-3 years earlier. It's early to say, BUT it's not just these 5 games. After a very slow start to last season, he was point/GP player for a long time, absolutely beasted on the world championships and seems to be picking up right where he left in that tournament now. I won't try to predict, but lets just say I'm very optimistic.

Reactions: boyko10

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
"Marner is playing with JT yes"

This argument is now over with that comment. Point has been proven. Seriously though, why di Leaf fans come in here and do this in every thread about someone who isn't a Leaf?

Well it was someone else who compared them ( and this site loves comparing guys to Leafs usually non Leaf fans doing it) so I gave my thoughts on it as it was the theme of the thread. Not sure what is so difficult to grasp here.

Based on...?

My viewings of both players

Absolute homer nonsense!

I am a fan of both teams how am I a homer? My comment LITERALLY said that I am not sure who I would take and if I had to chose I take Aho due to him being a center. They are incredibly similarly skilled and I doubt people watch both players because they both make a lot of the same kinds of plays. Sometimes I am watching the Canes and I think Marner is out there for a moment. They are very much in the same tier and they each have good points over each other.

Oh wow... You just listed Aho's strongest points right there. There is are reason why we call him professor.

I know that. I didn't say that lightly because I knew I would get attacked for it but it is my opinion. I think we see it on the PP the most, Marner when given time and space is likely the best pure playmaker in the league IMO. However, like all things I listed, both are excellent and I don't think there is some massive gap. I am just listing my preference.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I would assume people are making those comments because of all the previous different tier comments, and laughing at even suggesting Aho could be on his level.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I think Aho is a great playmaker but hasn't played with a good finisher so quickly adjusted to using his shot more.

Him and TT over passed a ton in the past leading to blown chances....TT will hardly take shots in close wide open unless the goalie is way out of position.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
I would assume people are making those comments because of all the previous different tier comments, and laughing at even suggesting Aho could be on his level.

Yeah and those people don't watch Aho obviously. It's ridiculous to say he is not on his level. I could see as a rookie or something but if they watched him recently and especially under Rod he is at another level right now and is able to take a few steps and just take over a shift.

It's why there are so many arguments on here. No body actually watches a lot of these players (it's impossible to see more than maybe 2 games from each team) so unless you follow multiple teams you can't compare them. And even then, when you DO compare them, unless you are talking the guys at the top of the league, most of the star players are pretty damn close to as good as each other, just with different skillsets and then it all comes down to your preference.

I'd take Aho at whatever he is going to get over Tavares at 11M for the record. Aho has been better than JT this year so far.

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
Let’s leave the pissing contests to the poll section.

Regarding Aho, I’d say he’s a legit #1 C or at the very least will be by the end of the year if you want a bigger sample size. He’ll likely eclipse 70 points on a not great offensive team. That’s easily #1 C material.

Reactions: Lovedemfanboys

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yeah and those people don't watch Aho obviously. It's ridiculous to say he is not on his level. I could see as a rookie or something but if they watched him recently and especially under Rod he is at another level right now and is able to take a few steps and just take over a shift.

It's why there are so many arguments on here. No body actually watches a lot of these players (it's impossible to see more than maybe 2 games from each team) so unless you follow multiple teams you can't compare them. And even then, when you DO compare them, unless you are talking the guys at the top of the league, most of the star players are pretty damn close to as good as each other, just with different skillsets and then it all comes down to your preference.

I'd take Aho at whatever he is going to get over Tavares at 11M for the record. Aho has been better than JT this year so far.

I don't really care which of the 2 is better, but you know when there's ton of bad/stupid comments made they will be brought up here and a mess is born.

In the end Marner& Aho are similar players, both will get paid next summer and are going to be worth it.
On Carolina Aho seems to have been able to transfer to C, a move that could set the Canes for a long time.
Aho- Svec
Slavin- Hamilton.

Carolina doesn't get a whole lot of attention but maybe it will change this year and more people will learn about the talent of Aho.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
I don't really care which of the 2 is better, but you know when there's ton of bad/stupid comments made they will be brought up here and a mess is born.

In the end Marner& Aho are similar players, both will get paid next summer and are going to be worth it.
On Carolina Aho seems to have been able to transfer to C, a move that could set the Canes for a long time.
Aho- Svec
Slavin- Hamilton.

Carolina doesn't get a whole lot of attention but maybe it will change this year and more people will learn about the talent of Aho.

Yeah Aho has been ridiculously underrated compared to the attention and hype Marner gets. Not to mention he likely signs for way cheaper than what Marner gets just due to being more of an unknown. Aho is already turning heads what we need is for us to make the playoffs so people actually watch the kid.

Reactions: SvechNecas

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Saying Marner is much smarter than Aho is so blatantly false.

It's Aho's single outstanding trait. Although skating is getting there.

So because someone is good at something means no others can be better? So Laine has the best shot ever of all time because that is his defining trait? Come on now.

Besides, not sure how you could even measure "smarts". I am just giving my opinion based on watching them play. I think Marner thinks the game quicker maybe is the better way to put it. IDK what to say but if you disagree then say so, don't call me a homer when it makes no sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad