Waived: What's the deal with Dominik Kahun?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
giphy.gif

A playmaking winger who can do alright offensively would be a big help. More for chemistry wise. Teddy can handle the middle and McCann can score but Teddy will need help setting things up.

McCann is going to do his own thing and that’s fine but if Teddy will need help creating.

Or.. maybe.. the issue with McCann wasn't McCann and it was Hornqvist and Marleau, I dunnnnnno.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd point out that McCann has historically been a guy with a pretty strong rate for setting up goals and not for scoring them.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Or.. maybe.. the issue with McCann wasn't McCann and it was Hornqvist and Marleau, I dunnnnnno.
McCann started struggling in early January, so I don’t know how that was Marleau’s fault? I mean how many games did they even play together, 10? Blaming McCann’s struggles on Marleau, who was terrible, is foolish.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
McCann started struggling in early January, so I don’t know how that was Marleau’s fault? I mean how many games did they even play together, 10? Blaming McCann’s struggles on Marleau, who was terrible, is foolish.

Yet propping up McCann's presence offensively because of Kahun is fair?

McCann's expected analytics without Kahun were above or even to what they were with Kahun.

McCann also played an equivalent amount of time with and without Kahun at 5v5. McCann generated 18 GF on a line with Kahun and 22 GF on a line without Kahun.

McCann with Kahun
xGF/60 - 1.84
SCF/60 - 20.58
HDCF/ 60 - 7.79

McCann without Kahun
xGF/60 - 2.21
SCF/60 - 26.16
HDCF.60 - 9.2

January wasn't because Kahun was taken off McCann's line. January was because all NHL talent was removed from our bottom six to prop up the Guentzel injury.

Last edited:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Yet propping up McCann's presence offensively because of Kahun is fair?

McCann's expected analytics without Kahun were above even to what they were with Kahun. Kahun's without McCann dropped off.

McCann also played an equivalent amount of time with and without Kahun at 5v5. McCann generated 18 GF on a line with Kahun and 22 GF on a line without Kahun.

Think you misread some things there. McCann 514 minutes w/o Kahun and 300 minutes with Kahun.

xGF% was better when they were together too. They both dropped basically the same amount apart

Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick

Reactions: Ryder71

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Maybe we overrate Kahun but he seemed really good to me. I got the idea Sully never liked him and he got the Cole treatment, but then Buffalo didn’t seem too keen on him either.

Like I understand he had a ton of puck luck but a play creating, offensive guy that showed he can post .5 ES points per game with a lot of time away from Malkin and Sid is kinda what we need to balance out the lines.

Rest of the bottom 6 are strong defensive forwards.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
His rookie season was 37 in 82 which is whatever

His resume is pretty boring if you ask me even in Germany except his 16U year that he scored 206 points in 30 games.

Wonder what that league looked like lol
I fixed this for you!

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
40 points per 82 games
Yeah, I really like Kahun as a player. He's strong on the puck and can maintain possession rather well. Can make plays in tight spaces, and not a bad playmaker either. There must be a personality conflict because the talent is there.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

TySmith4Norris

Oct 13, 2020
I doubt that's the reason, but who knows for sure.

Him and Duclair are both fringe top 6ers

Right now there are more legitimate top 6 players making around the money they're probably asking for

So their choices are either to get paid less or wait and hope to be the best players available for a team that misses out

If you could have Dadonov at 5M or Duclair at 4M, the choice is pretty easy

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Think you misread some things there. McCann 514 minutes w/o Kahun and 300 minutes with Kahun.

xGF% was better when they were together too. They both dropped basically the same amount apart

Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick
Yeah, I thought Kahun and McCann as a combo were strong to begin with. This certainly doesn't dissuade me from that opinion. Pretty impressive. I think if they played together for a full season, or even close, they'd produce rather well for us as third line players. It would certainly help assuage my concerns a bit. We could still us a bit more jam in the bottom six however.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Him and Duclair are both fringe top 6ers

Right now there are more legitimate top 6 players making around the money they're probably asking for

So their choices are either to get paid less or wait and hope to be the best players available for a team that misses out

If you could have Dadonov at 5M or Duclair at 4M, the choice is pretty easy
Why do we think it's a money issue though? Based on what?

TySmith4Norris

Oct 13, 2020
Why do we think it's a money issue though? Based on what?

Point I'm making is that money being equal there's probably better players available still

The Duclair number was the rumored ask, and he's representing himself so it makes seems accurate

Kahun could be a different situation, just providing a comparison I see as equal talent-wise

Reactions: Ryder71

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If this is the bottom six:

Kahun-McCann- Poulin/Lafferty

Tanev-Teddy-Sceviour

That's actually not bad. I think McCanns game moves up quite a bit with Kahun. Definitely the sum greater than the parts in this case.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I fixed this for you!

Thats fine and all and players can surely develop and be really good but if you look at his career those stats arent the norm and many players have good years.

Not to take anything away from him but he was also playing with Towes and Saad so it wasnt like there wasn't talent there either. Which you still gotta produce. I just dont really think he deserves this amount of remorse.

Ill stick with hes a JAG and has been on 3 teams in 3 years and possibly 4 in 4

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
If this is the bottom six:

Kahun-McCann- Poulin/Lafferty

Tanev-Teddy-Sceviour

That's actually not bad. I think McCanns game goes up quite a bit with Kahun. Definitely the sum greater than the parts in this case.
All that bottom 6 need to do is score more than they give up. Just don't hurt the team.

The top 6 should be good enough to carry. Depending on what they do, we're looking at potentially the best top 6 we've had to start a season in the Crosby era. That hinges on Rust continuing his good form and Kapanen chemistry. Still, this is far removed from the days of giving Sid Simon and giving Malkin Plotnikov or Galchenyuk. And let's face it, for all the good things Hagelin did away from the puck, he simply didn't produce enough offensively to warrant a top 6 role.

Having Zucker for the full year is a great feeling. It's precisely what was needed with our boys getting old. That long range threat, who isn't afraid to go to the net hard. Plus the fact him and Sid together fit like a glove is such a great option B if Guentzel is struggling. If Kapanen struggles then I have no problems throwing McCann up there again in a pinch.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
When the team was getting wrecked by injuries late in 2019, I really thought stepped up, despite being kind of an afterthought player prior to the season. He was defensively responsible, chipped in with timely plays, and (along with Tanev, McCann and Ruster who did it all year) was one of those guys that was seemingly stepping up every few games to become an unlikely hero. Was it my imagination, or were there not a few voices asking for him to be booted up with 87 or 71 for a game just to see what happened? Not saying that wasnt pie-in-the-sky, but that was the emotional reaction to seeing him play well and get rewarded.

I doubt he'd come back here, and I'm sure he wants more. But if he's still around in a week or two, throw a 1 year/1 M deal at him and see if he still has some of that same drive. At the very least, its competition for the bottom six, and we know we're inevitably going to get a rash of injuries again.

Last edited:
Reactions: ncm7772 and Jacob

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The only issue I have with bringing him back is his asking price. I think he's a fine enough player, have never had issue with him. I don't think he's as good as his biggest fans do, and I don't think he's nearly the throwaway, useless player his detractors do either.

He's a better Simon, imo. Not spectacular, does his job and won't hurt you when played in his proper role--which is 3rd/4th line tweener.

Reactions: ncm7772

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I like Kahun well enough but I'm really gonna start wondering about JR's memory and what he's employing his pro scouts for if they bring yet another recently-departed Penguin in.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Kahun was good at generating offense mostly on his own, which is good for a bottom 6 guy.

But it’s probably better to have Sceviour putting up point totals more befitting of a stay-at-home d-man.

Bryan17

Dec 18, 2014
Kahun's stats on ice in 5v5. Chicago 2018-19: 51 goals for, 37 goals against. For Pens in 2019-20: 31 for 24 against. Also 5 for and 3 against with Buffalo. For last 2 years 87 goals for 64 goals against. Those are terrific results for a 3rd line player.

Reactions: Andy99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad