Waived: What's the deal with Dominik Kahun?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
But would you rather have Kapanen, Riikola and Rodrigues, plus lose Hallinder and 15th overall or Dadonov?

I would rather have Kapanen, Riikola, ERod, and Jankowski minus Hallander and the pick than Dadonov.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
You’ll get Dominik Simon and you’ll like it!

tenor.gif

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
What's the deal with those poops that require an entire role of toilet paper to wipe and even after the bidet and a shower, you never quite feel clean, it's a mess of a day, you just feel like you need your entire nether region sand blasted and sanitized by a professional.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Arbitration eligible rfas have to have a ton of value to a team for the next two years For teams to tender them...

Goofy gms hand out stupid contracts to middling players and it drives the cost of the ones that actually produce at a ok pace...

Kahun is a solid player, but no one wants to see him get a guaranteed contract of silly value locked in... not tendering guys like that means you can still negotiate a fair contract with them and keep them. Sure you risk losing them, but if arbitration spits out some insane 4 or 5 million dollar contract, you are losing them anyhow...

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Has anyone pointed out how insanely lucky Kahun was last season? Guy shot 13.8% and had an 11.4% on-ice shooting percentage. If I'm the Sabres I do not want to be in an arbitration hearing with that guy.

I'd like him back but with a realistic idea of the calibre of player he is.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I would rather have Kapanen, Riikola, ERod, and Jankowski minus Hallander and the pick than Dadonov.

Really? Erod and Jankowski are forwards that produced worse than Ruhwedel last year. Dime a dozen.

Dadonov's the 11th highest scoring RW in the NHL since returning from Russia 3 years ago.

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
Hi Penguin fans,

Dominik Kahun has played for three teams in two years and wasn't qualified by the Sabres. He looks like a player who can score and he is dirt cheap. What's the deal with this player?
Undrafted Euro players hold little value if they don’t break out. Teams just don’t seem to value these players that much and not having much patience with them. If he was drafted 8th overall or something, that would be total different story.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Really? Erod and Jankowski are forwards that produced worse than Ruhwedel last year. Dime a dozen.

Dadonov's the 11th highest scoring RW in the NHL since returning from Russia 3 years ago.

I don’t mean for this to come off as a
criticism of Dadonov because I wanted him here, but I really question if he is what a contender would want given that he just chased money and term to be in Ottawa.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
40 points per 82 games

When our biggest problem was 3rd line scoring for playoffs.

As for the " he disappears for stretches" ...who doesn't other than the elite players in the league? I dont see him being much different than Kapanen. Who we gave up 5 first round picks for.

Kahun had too much flash to his game. Some of those goals were disrespectful.

We want all the top grinders for tip ins.

As for Chicago trading him, they were just probably trying to sell high. Him being 24 already and had one good season, they probably figured they could get more out of Maatta than we did(which was the case). Buffalo getting rid of him? No idea why even with the other RFAs they had. Unless he wants 6 years 5 mil.

The Pens still need to add a player like Kahun for our 3rd line ironically. If we want McCann/Jankowski to succeed then having that playmaking RW who can also score is exactly what we need. Hopefully we bring him back sometime during the season . He could just wait things out. Unless Preds or Bruins offer him a deal. Maybe the Sens now too since it looks like they want to add more talent now. Panthers are only other team. The rest dont have the cap space.

Or we could have not signed Erod and Lafferty, moved out ZAR(Im sure Guerin would have taken him) giving us another 2.4 mil. Let Ruh go instead of keeping him when we signed Riikola. Dont need both. Thats 3.1 mil to go with the 2.5 we already have. Could have signed Kahun for 3.6 mil. And still Had 2 mil left for the season.

Top two lines
McCann - Jankowski - Kahun
Tanev - Blueger - Sceviour

With Poulin possibly getting a chance. But in the meantime there is Angello and others. We didnt " need " to keep Laff and sign Erod. We have plenty of similar players in WBS. Angello, Militec, Drozg, Bellerive, etc. If we had injuries they could have been the ones getting some NHL games in.

We still dont know it they only traded him due to all of the injuries and wanting Sheary + Erod. This was before covid and Guentzel likely to miss most of playoffs.

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Kahun and McCann played well together and helped carry the team during one of the roughest injury stretches. There is something clearly off with him though.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
criticism of Dadonov because I wanted him here, but I really question if he is what a contender would want given that he just chased money and term to be in Ottawa.

I don't think the money or term are at all unreasonable for someone with his track record. It's a pretty great deal IMO.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If we could rebuild Hoffman's brain into thinking he's a righty, I'd be all over that. Guy has a canon.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Seems pretty fair for both sides if you ask me :dunno:

I imagine their plan (both the Sens and Dadonov) is to trade him to a contender at some point in the first 2 seasons. As long as he doesn't get hurt or completely fall off playing in Ottawa, should be pretty easy for them move that contract.

Edit: ...pending COVID situation, too, I guess.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It's pretty funny that everyone loves Hallinder now. Especially because we traded Hållander.
Even funnier how the Leafs media make him out to be some high end prospect that they stole from the Pens. Like mates, he’s maybe going to be a 4th liner if he’s lucky.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
It's pretty funny that everyone loves Hallinder now. Especially because we traded Hållander.
I don’t know if anyone loves him, but giving the Laughs the 15th overall pick AND him for Kap was inexcusable. If this was the price Dubas wanted, JR should have hung up his flip phone and went back to his 4:15 pm PF Chang’s dinner.

He was in our top 3-5 prospects.

Those same people that undervalue him are the same homers that would be praising him in the prospect thread happening right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->