Whats more valuable, Drouin or $5.5M Freed Cap

Which way should we go?

• Total voters

barbu

Jan 9, 2019
I doubt he gets picked up. Anyway we should be rebuilding and it should not matter if we have a few dead weights contracts.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
lol ! reading the comments about Drouin in this thread (and the previous one), is enough to understand that the poor guy is in a depressive state . The Habs fans killed the players of the Habs with their too high attempts. Ironic when the same fans will blame the bad GM/Owner/coaches when free agents don't want to sign here .

Reactions: aresknights

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Obviously, the cap is more valuable.

The problem is, exposed or not, nobody is going to take him off our hands. The Habs are stuck with a guy that can't handle the pressure of playing in Montreal. He'll soon retire or go play in the KHL, I would wager.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Sorry but that's a dumb question.

Do you humans breath oxygen?

Come on now. Of course the cap space is more important.

Drouin is useless to this team.

Also, pretty sure Drouin is done in Montreal. He's already played his last game.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
lol ! reading the comments about Drouin in this thread (and the previous one), is enough to understand that the poor guy is in a depressive state . The Habs fans killed the players of the Habs with their too high attempts. Ironic when the same fans will blame the bad GM/Owner/coaches when free agents don't want to sign here .

Drouin was an issue in Tampa long before the Canadiens fans & media got to him...Drouin "killed" Drouin with his unwillingness and inability to develop his game from junior to the NHL-level, something Tampa even sent him down to do...he's been the exact same player with the exact same issues & problems since his days in Halifax with the Mooseheads; phenomenal talent, complete lack of drive, determination, or heart...the late, great Gorilla Monsoon used to refer to it as Intestinal Fortitude and it's exactly what Drouin has always been missing and apparently has no interest in ever discovering...he could have been great and instead he's a cautionary tale for young talent that it takes more than just having great natural talent to be successful in the Big's, you also have to work at becoming great...

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I imagine they’re going to do something to dump Drouin and use the cap space to keep Danault who fills the french void if Drouin is gone. What’s going to be tough is trading Drouin’s without having to retain salary.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I imagine they’re going to do something to dump Drouin and use the cap space to keep Danault who fills the french void if Drouin is gone. What’s going to be tough is trading Drouin’s without having to retain salary.

Would it though? If you called Seattle and offered him, I'm sure they'd take him in the expansion draft.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Drouin is done here. Everybody knows it even the media. Kudos to them for not igniting an existential crisis over this. Hopefully, Seattle claims him or the Habs find a suiter to catter to his demands. Unfortunately, rumour has it he was offered to several teams with no takers. That extra 5.5 mil. will be an extremely hot commodity for any team to have next season.

If not, the Habs will buy him out this summer, so he can sign elsewhere and get a fresh start on a cheap deal. There is no reason to keep an unhappy camper on your squad regardless of what he's going through (family or mental health issues). If the player had a serious medical problem, the organization would have released the information to minimize any speculation by now. With a buyout though, the Habs will be on the hook for some dead cap space.

Another trade that would go down as one of the worst in Habs history. McDonaugh and Sergachev being locks on a contender that were both drafted by the Habs, such is life.

Last edited:

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Would it though? If you called Seattle and offered him, I'm sure they'd take him in the expansion draft.

It’s a lot of risk considering the cap and his resume. I imagine we could maybe make a trade with them potentially, but it would require us retaining. Or they take the full cap and we send them something worthwhile in return.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
5.5m$ likely isn’t landing us anyone this summer. In a vacuum Drouin is better than 5.5M$ in cap space but if it is part of us clearing more space than it all depends what we do for the space.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Well watching him last year, it was. Watching most of our players in the last playoffs, they looked like gangbusters. And this year they all took a massive drop.
Chiarot/Weber were poor last year too, because he wasn’t complete dogshit ppl pump
Him up.

Hoochi Papa

Oct 17, 2020
In a world without Bergevin at helm, I'd expose him in a nanosecond. Marc would and will overpay and over-extend "proven" warrior a la David Backes for 5-6 years and some way make this situation even worse. Or he'll trade him for one.

In a perfect world, without Bergevin, where everything goes our way, I'd trade him for picks. That won't happen at the age of Covid, so the easiest way is to let him go for free. Maybe he could be better than this, if a superstar center carried him into 60+, but we don 't have one. This is what he is and what he has been ever since he entered NHL. Time to end another miserable miscast and maybe we'll forget sooner that the price of this shitshow was Sergachev.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
In a world without Bergevin at helm, I'd expose him in a nanosecond. Marc would and will overpay and over-extend "proven" warrior a la David Backes for 5-6 years and some way make this situation even worse. Or he'll trade him for one.

In a perfect world, without Bergevin, where everything goes our way, I'd trade him for picks. That won't happen at the age of Covid, so the easiest way is to let him go for free. Maybe he could be better than this, if a superstar center carried him into 60+, but we don 't have one. This is what he is and what he has been ever since he entered NHL. Time to end another miserable miscast and maybe we'll forget sooner that the price of this shitshow was Sergachev.

...and the price would have been Sergachev and a 2nd Rounder had Tampa not needed Sergachev for over 40 games that season...Yzerman didn't just roll Bargain Bin on that trade, he made him his bitch...

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Out of context of Drouin but Chariot overplayed his skill last season and been playing like he did in Winnipeg this season.

The biggest difference between Shyterot last year and this year is that, for some unknown reason, this year he has it in his head that he's the PMD of the Top Pairing and that has simply led to faaar more Shyterot brainfarts than last season...

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
If bergevin was smart (sigh) hed use the Tatar, danault, drouin, byron and whoever seattle takes money to get a GREAT LW and a great LD
Hell , trade Weber too for more cash

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Drouin has been battling his demons for 10 years.............yes, in Halifax with the Mooseheads, widely known.
Then in Tampa, whining for TOI and sent to the AHL, and disappeared.......sorry but this kid has been acting like this for years.......long before he came to montreal to cash some big pay cheques!!
This kid has never been able to handle any of his fame......never.
Give me that 5.5M in cpaspace, and let the new GM put it to use.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad