Whats more valuable, Drouin or $5.5M Freed Cap

Which way should we go?

• Total voters

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Eh I thought people realised by now that Bergevin doesn't know what to do with cap space? He never did. He never used cap space to get us the players that we needed. For example he has proven he cannot bring UFAs here. And I know it's hard in Canada. But giving MB cap space, is a waste of time.

His cap space will probably disappear in 1 year unless he trades 1 or 2 guys. Our cap situation is not as good as some guys believe it is. MB will need help from loyal dogs to make it work at our advantage. Help both Radulov and Markov were not willing to give him.

I don't see why Gallagher, Petry and Danault would want to sign team friendly contract. Danault has been sold by our media as a mini Bergeron for 2 years now. He has very strong arguments to be paid. Petry is one of the best RHD in the league. Gallagher all 32 teams want him. Unless those guys are wiped off the face of the earth next season they'll want to be paid.

Same for Tatar who his playing the best hockey of his career and who right now is partially paid by Vegas who retains 500 000 on his contract. Then there's Domi, Lehkonen, Armia. MB will likely have a lot of work to do to make it work while improving the team at the same time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kimota

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
But it's okay to just toss the negativity slight in my direction lol. I call it as I see it with Drouin but that's just negative lol. He has proven me right every single time, you can't claim that lol.

It's all good man. You don't think he rebounds in his prime. I think there is a chance. It's all guess work.

Heck, we might not protect him and Seattle takes him ;)

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
It's all good man. You don't think he rebounds in his prime. I think there is a chance. It's all guess work.

Heck, we might not protect him and Seattle takes him ;)

There's a chance for every skilled first round players. There's a chance Armia rebound. There's a chance AG rebound. It will likely be short lived though like it was for the like of Zherdev with NYR. What's bred in the bone will come out in the flesh. I'd argue there's lot more chance that 23 years old Matthews take the next step than Drouin amount to anything more than 2-3 good years in his prime.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I'm not 100% negative on him but I have to say that if there's a ''take the money or the player'' magical lever that pops up in front of me I'm probably taking the money at this point. He's just not playing up to his contract level and I can't find enough evidence to make me think it'll change . He is what he is.

John B

Nov 19, 2016
His value is low, but I would look to move him. Not sure what trade would be realistic or what team would be interested though.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I feel like he's slowly getting better these playoffs. I don't get the 'he's not trying' stuff. That to me isn't the problem. It's the bad decisions with the puck. I feel like I saw one really bad pass and the penalty which I couldn't really tell was a soft call or not but he always seems to take bad penalties.

I think you have to gamble on keeping him and seeing if he can still raise his value. I personally don't think he's getting worse or that he'll get worse. I've seen enough players put it together in the back half of their 20s to think keeping him might be the right move.

Especially now we have two young Cs emerging. I'd like to see him get solid reps with one of them over a season at least.

It's really a gamble only if you think he's declining at some kind of Gomez rate. I don't see that.

Reactions: Dutronc

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
What you going to use his cap space on? To overpay for Hall and Krug? $5.5M is a fair deal for Drouin and what he is producing. This is a horrible thread idea. Leave the kid alone... he just turned 25 a few months ago.

Some people need to learn to look past the fact he has flaws. Stop treating him like his is just some 30 pts forward.
Hard to look past what he was traded for. Not his fault but still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
No surprise I said trade, I can’t be bothered with players who are not committed to play a game, they are paid a lot of money to play they should turn up, I can forgive the odd game and that’s it. Drouin takes too many games off, tries for the highlight reel and he’s not a team player

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Strange series for drouin so far. You want to see more offense from him, because you know he has alot more to offer, but he looks more implicated and lesser of a liability since he got his goal last series.

He took a 2 bad penalties in this series so far but has also drawn 3 penalties against Philly.

I'm still looking for more from him, but I'm less nervous with his play right now.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Strange series for drouin so far. You want to see more offense from him, because you know he has alot more to offer, but he looks more implicated and lesser of a liability since he got his goal last series.

He took a 2 bad penalties in this series so far but has also drawn 3 penalties against Philly.

I'm still looking for more from him, but I'm less nervous with his play right now.
He's drawn those penalties when the game was well in hand. On the other hand his slashing penalty (AGAIN!) could have been a momentum changer. The guy sticks out like a sore thumb on this squad. Unfortunately, his trade value plummeted, so unless Bergevin finds some sucker we're stuck with him.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
He's drawn those penalties when the game was well in hand. On the other hand his slashing penalty (AGAIN!) could have been a momentum changer. The guy sticks out like a sore thumb on this squad. Unfortunately, his trade value plummeted, so unless Bergevin finds some sucker we're stuck with him.

Not completely true. He drew the penalty on the Weber pp goal in game 1, and was instrumental in creating that opportunity.

The other penalties drawn, i can't remember the exact situation, but I'll take your word for it.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Drouin's been doing fine since he scored that goal against Pittsburgh.

He's involved, he battles for pucks, he gets his nose dirty that's all I'm asking...

Reactions: 26Mats

habstradamus

Jul 1, 2018
Brussels, Belgium
I found myself wanting more from Drouin. That being said he is a legit top 6-9 NHL player. Those do not grow on trees. You can end up with worse at that price tag.

I would keep him if you are not guaranteed to get quality back. I trust MB to make the wise choice.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He's far too skilled to trade away. And $5,5 for 3 more seasons is barely nothing.

Depends what the return is.

Skill isn't everything. Consistency, hard work, mental toughness, willingness to go into the tough areas, take punishment. None of these evoke Drouin.

Trembz

GHG
Jul 2, 2009
Canada
He turns the puck over much more often than he actually produces something with it on his stick. Therefor trade for someone who can either create OR finish plays.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
About a year ago I made this thread. It seems to me that this is an easier choice for me now than it was then.

I'd expose Drouin with all blessings to get out of the pressure cooker of Montreal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad