Which way should we go?

• Total voters

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
We sure didn't watch the same games.

Guys like Kevin Bieksa were hardcore on their pumping of the Weber-Chairot pairing last year and especially in the Bubble but fail to also realize that they were soo noticeable because we spent sooooo much time defending due to their complete inability to get the puck out of our D-zone (unless it was to ice it)...that's not great play, that's just a piss poor transition game that we survived because Price found his Cheat Code for the Pens series...

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
If we can't trade him, which if be surprised, then expose him... If that doesn't work, then ltir if he's not ready to return.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
Guys like Kevin Bieksa were hardcore on their pumping of the Weber-Chairot pairing last year and especially in the Bubble but fail to also realize that they were soo noticeable because we spent sooooo much time defending due to their complete inability to get the puck out of our D-zone (unless it was to ice it)...that's not great play, that's just a piss poor transition game that we survived because Price found his Cheat Code for the Pens series...

Yeah. To me, Markov was still the best DEFENSIVE D we've had since Chelios. He broke up so many plays in the neutral zone by anticipating plays. In D zone, he cut off so many cycles by anticipating where the puck would move instead of reacting and chasing like our current D. We were rarely stuck in our zone for extended periods of time like we are now. So many casual fans could not see that. They understood shit about it.

Anyway, not to derail the thread... my answer: the 5.5M would be more useful than Drouin, provided another GM is there to use it vs. Bergevin.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
I think we'd have to give up more than that to get rid of Drouon's 5.5M cap hit !!!
The answer is obviously the cap space if Berg is going to use it to improve the team.

However, its not really that simple as it depends on the free agency market and who wants to come to Montreal, if there is a taker for Drouin without giving up assets for a team to take him, and then if Bergy is willing to trade him and "admit" he F@$ked up in the Sergachev trade. At this point, it safe to say there wouldn't be much coming back in the way of positive value for Drouin. The best you could hope for IMO is another underachieving outcast.

The OP's question is simple enough, but the answer has a lot of complex variables to it...

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Twelve points in eleven games and you don't think he would lead this team in points?

Agreed, Radulov would still be our best player atm; Suzuki may become better and it may happen sooner rather than later, but Rads is still the best player we've had in a quite some time (and yes, that includes ol' Ghostioretty)...

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
lol ! reading the comments about Drouin in this thread (and the previous one), is enough to understand that the poor guy is in a depressive state . The Habs fans killed the players of the Habs with their too high attempts. Ironic when the same fans will blame the bad GM/Owner/coaches when free agents don't want to sign here .
You know whats ironic. You defending Drouin when it took 3/4 of a season before the media turned on him, yet when the media has been on KK for 2 seasons that is fine, because he is suppose to be a pro at 19/20 years old. So when JD needs time off because he was stressed by the media we have to wipe his ass. But KK, screw that bust. Hilarious.

And yes our GM/Owner/ Coaches have been equally shit along with the media. Free agents don't sign with Montreal for a variety of reasons. But I don't claim to know their mind, unlike some posters.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Name me a PPG player on this squad? Oh right Perry and Staal back when Gangnam style was a top hit.

You bring up Perry n Staal , WTF lol. No idea why lol. Why not Tofolli or Anderson? Doesn't fit your narrative?

Yes pts dictate best player and only points lol.
And context matters, no?
Who Radulov play with last few years? Players better n more skilled than he would of here? I think you know that answer n benefitted from that. Or is that a non factor to you?

Funny how so many want a rebuild but are pissy about a vet who IMO didn't wanna resign here and left. But ya blame MB cause every FA wants to play here lol.

For the record I think Petry has been a more valuable player than Rad would been here I also think Price over the full time since since Rad left would been more important than Rad would been. JMO.

The original response I had was to Rad most talented. I disagree. No biggie. Give me Petry or Price over the last few years every day. If ya wan go rebuild mode give me Zuk n KK as well.
Heck give me Tofolli n Anderson over present day Rad as well. They choose to sign multi yr deals here, Rad choose to walk.

Back to Drouin. I'd prefer the 5.5 in cap space but also hope he gets over whatever ails him.

Reactions: Mandala

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Yes cause pts dictate best player and only points lol.
And context matters, no?
Who Radulov play with last few years? Players better n more skilled than he would of here? I think you know that answer.

Funny how so many want a rebuild but are pissy about a vet who IMO didn't wanna resign here and left. But ya blame MB cause every FA wants to play here lol.

For the record I think Petry has been a more valuable player than Rad would been here I also think Price over the full time since since Rad left would been more important than Rad would been.

The original response I had was to Rad most talented. I disagree. No biggie. Give me Petry or Peice over the last few years every day. If ya wan go rebuild mode give me Zuk n KK as well.
Heck give me Tofolli n Anderson over present day Rad as well. They choose to sign multi yr deals here, Rad choose to walk.

Back to Drouin. I'd prefer the 5.5 in cap space but also hope he gets over whatever ails him.
Honestly I don't think you watched the one year he was here. Every announcer kept stating he was the straw that stirs. He was our best player in regular season and BY FAR our best post season player. Petry has D zone brain farts like crazy(I say that as a Dman myself) and Price has had entire threads to trading him for his poor play since 2015, rightly or wrongly. We have no one on our team that had his skill, physicality, or determination on the ice. Maybe Perry, but he is a shadow of himself.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
It always seems lost on most, how much time we spend in our own zone...........lines are exhausted when they get the puck and have to dump it in and change.......how a GM of an NHL team doesn't see this.
Can you imagine if we had another PMD beside Petry, since most of our goals are scored off of the rush and speedy transition.....
9 years later, this is hard to watch some nights.....

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just to clarify a point brought up in this thread, Radulov did not choose to walk — MB played hardball and thought he could have him for less and withdrew his offer as a pressure tactic. The Habs were the only team making an offer when the UFA market had opened.

During the time MB withdrew his offer, Dallas swooped in and offered exactly what the Radulov camp wanted so they accepted the offer. Bergevin then tried to match the Dallas offer but it was too late, Radulov had already accepted Dallas’s offer. Radulov was prepared to sign with the Habs but Bergevin overplayed his hand and caused Radulov to sign elsewhere.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
It always seems lost on most, how much time we spend in our own zone...........lines are exhausted when they get the puck and have to dump it in and change.......how a GM of an NHL team doesn't see this.
Can you imagine if we had another PMD beside Petry, since most of our goals are scored off of the rush and speedy transition.....
9 years later, this is hard to watch some nights.....
Which all swings back to what a disaster that one off season was. We are still trying to fix it. Drouin being a significant portion of that off season....OMG so much was done wrong. Just the TDL before that offseason was nuts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad