What's it gonna take

utvolsfan

Oct 24, 2015
Now I know the days of goons are long gone, but what's it gonna take for them to realize they need some muscle to protect Larkin and the other small players. Abby tries, but let's be serious, doesn't exactly strike fear into anyone. More and more teams are starting to take liberties with Dylan, and without someone to answer that bell, why should they stop.

We want him to be the next face of the franchise, but we must remember Yzerman had probert and kocur, Fedorov and Nick had protection, why not Dylan.

Don't wait until someone gets hurt.

Ok let me have it, but take in mind I'm new to this board and hate seeing this team get push around

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Now I know the days of goons are long gone, but what's it gonna take for them to realize they need some muscle to protect Larkin and the other small players. Abby tries, but let's be serious, doesn't exactly strike fear into anyone. More and more teams are starting to take liberties with Dylan, and without someone to answer that bell, why should they stop.

We want him to be the next face of the franchise, but we must remember Yzerman had probert and kocur, Fedorov and Nick had protection, why not Dylan.

Ok let me have it, but take in mind I'm new to this board and hate seeing this team get push around

What's it going to take? How about the end of the salary cap. Teams no longer have the luxury of carrying one dimensional tough guys anymore and the ones who can both protect players and bring it night in and night out are rare and demand huge salaries.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Maybe Dylan shouldn't try to outmuscle a clearly stronger player and fall awkwardly in the boards?

utvolsfan

Oct 24, 2015
What's it going to take? How about the end of the salary cap. Teams no longer have the luxury of carrying one dimensional tough guys anymore and the ones who can both protect players and bring it night in and night out are rare and demand huge salaries.

I understand the fact that teams can't carry a one dimensional goon. Not sure about the high salary being totally true, Boll in Columbus can skate well and sticks up for a teammate or Neil in Ottawa. Take the skill and add some muscle sky might be the limit. Otherwise we might see an injury cost this team.

Thanks for the response

Maybe Dylan shouldn't try to outmuscle a clearly stronger player and fall awkwardly in the boards?

That maybe be true, and he should take that into consideration, but what about all the cross ckecks, slashes and punches that he takes , and it will only get worse.

Thanks for the response

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I understand the fact that teams can't carry a one dimensional goon. Not sure about the high salary being totally true, Boll in Columbus can skate well and sticks up for a teammate or Neil in Ottawa. Take the skill and add some muscle sky might be the limit. Otherwise we might see an injury cost this team.

Thanks for the response

Neil who makes 2 million, scores 14 points a year? That's a goon.

utvolsfan

Oct 24, 2015
Him getting hurt won't change anything. Only thing that will is drafting a player that turns into lucic, Simmonds etc

That might be the sad truth, that him or any player getting hurt won't change anything. But keep this in mind this team has not won a cup without having one or more guys to protect the skill players.

Thanks for the response

Neil who makes 2 million, scores 14 points a year? That's a goon.

He is also a heart and soul guy for Ottawa. Can play and protects teammates, I would take him

Last edited by a moderator:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

What are we really asking for, though? Are we looking for guys who can pot twenty goals and handle the rough stuff, or not be a black hole for ten minutes on the fourth line? Matt Martin is set to be a UFA this summer, he gets 10 minutes a night for the Isles, he's even on the season which isn't bad for their forwards, he throws his body around and he's had five fights this year.

I don't think we necessarily need a guy who will drop the gloves all of the time, but just some guys who are more effective playing a physical game. While we would all like a Lucic or two, filtering some more of that into the bottom half of the lineup would pay dividends, imo. Most night, we don't initiate a whole lot of contact, and i don't see a lot of guys in the lineup who are likely to change that in the playoffs.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Because Ottawa has had so much success with an enforcer. Who is enforcing for Chicago or Tampa?

Enforcers don't make any sense in today's NHL.

It's a waste of a roster spot, and the Wings aren't in any position where they can afford to give away another roster spot to protect Larkin from the bad man.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Abby is one of the best in the league at that. and it sucks. You really wont get a good player on THIS team and make it better. Thanks Salary cap.

You can't get a Lucic without spending a couple pieces. So I wouldn't know if it makes it better. Probably worse.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
That might be the sad truth, that him or any player getting hurt won't change anything. But keep this in mind this team has not won a cup without having one or more guys to protect the skill players.

Thanks for the response

He is also a heart and soul guy for Ottawa. Can play and protects teammates, I would take him

He only gets 14 points. I think Glendenning (offensive black hole) will probably have more points then that :laugh: If I want a Tough guy, Ill just get All Star John Scott

Hunting Bow*

Who do you pickup and who do you drop to pick up said tough guy?

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I though Abdelkader did a good job of protecting Larkin, so I don't see what the issue is.

A hotshot kid with speed is going to get targeted by the other team. Whether we have an "enforcer" or not.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I really wonder why anyone thinks that somehow being in a fight (read: 4 second wrestling match) would in any way protect him?

They still took a shot at your guy, if that's their goal they still have no reason to stop. Now you're going to add in the possibility of giving THEM a powerplay or negating our powerplay??? That seems like all the incentive in the world to do it more if you ask me

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What's it gonna take to get Kindl off this ****ing team?

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I though Abdelkader did a good job of protecting Larkin, so I don't see what the issue is.

A hotshot kid with speed is going to get targeted by the other team. Whether we have an "enforcer" or not.

This. When Severson (?) and Larkin went into the Corner, Abdelkader made a point to be in close proximity and jumped in the moment Severson looked at Larkin the wrong way.

Last night Abby provided exactly what OP is looking for. And get this, he can actually play the game better than the Neils, Scotts, etc.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Hopefully once Quincey comes back next month, And hopefully Marchenko stays up he's played well enough. Hopefully Holland puts Kindl on waivers but knowing Holland most likely Marchenko gets sent down.

At the same time, Holland has had a million chances to waive him but hasn't.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
He only gets 14 points. I think Glendenning (offensive black hole) will probably have more points then that :laugh: If I want a Tough guy, Ill just get All Star John Scott

To be fair to Neil, the guy's 36 years old, and routinely put up better than 14 points for a fair stretch of his career. When the guy was in his prime, he was a pretty useful player, and I think we'd be really happy to have a guy similar to that. On top of that, he's been in Ottawa his whole career, and part of his salary reflects that.

I still think the discussion should be about adding more of a physical dimension to the bottom half of the lineup rather than a strict enforcer, though.

edit: also, maybe if we had brought in/developed a bit more of this, it might help keep salary demands for guys like Abdelkader a little lower. Despite my gripes about him, I like him as a player, but a lot of what he has become has been the Wings force feeding him IT and giving him a lot of rope.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I love Larkin. Future captain of the Wings, already becoming one of my favorite players.

That being said, he needs to stop diving. He deserves a fine from the league in my opinion.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

Thanks for the response

No....just, no. Chris Neil is as bad of a hockey player as there is in this league. He is barely any better than John Scott.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00