What's at Stake for Brady in SB 55?

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Hes not even really supposed to be in this game. The bucs were underdogs in the last two games they played. The Saints beat them bad the first two games so everyone assumed they would lose to the Saints. Then when they won that game there was no way they were gonna beat Rodgers on his home terf. The bucs are gonna be underdogs in this game too. No shame in losing to Patrick Mahomes because they have been by far the best team in the league this year. If Bradys team wins this game will mean a lot for a guy who just switched teams and was not expecting to go this far in year one.
Agreed. The Bucs still have holes. They have gone from a 7-9 team to the Superbowl in 1 year. If Brady was 33 they would be predicting the team to be better in the next few years and possibly win a Superbowl.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
What happens to Mahomes legacy if he loses to an old man? Will he be viewed as another pretender to the throne?

Reactions: Master P

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
What happens to Mahomes legacy if he loses to an old man? Will he be viewed as another pretender to the throne?

I don't think so. Guy is still super young with loads of potential to get back to the super bowl with how talented he is and that he is with a good organization. Good coaches and players around him. I give him a decent chance to get back to the big game a few times in his career. As long as he stays relatively healthy and his organization keeps making good decisions. Brady winning it would mean more about Brady than it would be a knock on Mahomes.

Also Mahomes is gonna potentially be without his starting o line men and that bucs d line is super underrated, especially with Vea back. Still think Mahomes will pick apart the secondary but the question will be whether or not the bucs d line can generate enough pressure to cause a few turnovers at key times. If he loses because of that it would be a shame to lose on injuries and doesn't hurt his name as much. No shame losing to the Bucs dline. They are really good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crossfire Hurricane

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
I don't think so. Guy is still super young with loads of potential to get back to the super bowl with how talented he is and that he is with a good organization. Good coaches and players around him. I give him a decent chance to get back to the big game a few times in his career. As long as he stays relatively healthy and his organization keeps making good decisions. Brady winning it would mean more about Brady than it would be a knock on Mahomes.

Also Mahomes is gonna potentially be without his starting o line men and that bucs d line is super underrated, especially with Vea back. Still think Mahomes will pick apart the secondary but the question will be whether or not the bucs d line can generate enough pressure to cause a few turnovers at key times. If he loses because of that it would be a shame to lose on injuries and doesn't hurt his name as much. No shame losing to the Bucs dline. They are really good.
I read the same about Rodgers 10 years ago.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I read the same about Rodgers 10 years ago.

The problem is Green Bay has made awful decisions to not help out Rodgers in the draft or free agency. Also coaching hasn't been overall great when they need it to be. Last night being an example.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
The only thing at stake for Brady is shoving it in the face of Belichick. But I think he has already done that by just reaching the Super Bowl.

Mind you, Belichick apparently wanted to ditch Brady a few years back for Jimmy GQ.

Brady certainly had plenty of help getting to the Super Bowl this year. But Tampa Bay isn't here without him. He really established the GOAT status of QB for the past 25 years. Maybe of all-time.

Reactions: PanthersPens62

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Mahomes has a lot more to lose than Brady does.

Mahomes is on the defending champion. Mahomes is the 25 year old in his prime, playing against a 43 year old. Mahomes is the one looking to build his legacy, whereas Brady's legacy has already been cemented with 6 Super Bowl wins.

If Mahomes loses this game, it tarnishes him much more than a loss tarnishes Brady.

Reactions: DueDiligence

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
There is nothing that can happen in this game that would change Brady's status as the greatest quarterback of all time. Even if you really want there to be.

In other words...

y9I8672.gif

Reactions: Babe Ruth and Tuggy

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
There's absolutely no way Brady's legacy goes down in this Super Bowl

He came over to the NFC, without Bellicheck, and put up a very good regular season.

He added to it in the playoffs, knocking off 12-4 Drew Brees at home and 13-3 MVP Aaron Rodgers at Lambeau - insane! He's now made the Super Bowl, proven he can win without Belicheck or the Patriots.

He's the GOAT, but not the best QB in the league right now. Win or lose, Mahomes is a better player right now. But Brady has a crazy resume.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
It's a team game. Mahomes doesn't have control over making 10 SB's. No player does. Injuries, suspensions, firings, and luck all have an impact.

But I'm prepared to say Mahomes will break the TD and passing record. How long will it take? Who knows. But I wouldn't bet against him.
I dont see Mahomes playing and staying healthy as long as Brady did. People forget how much time and effort Brady puts into not getting hurt. All the way down to way he falls when tackled and what shoulder he lands on.

wildbill97

Jan 17, 2021
St. Louis (From MN)
I see what you mean.

But...

M.J. was 6-0 in the Finals. Nobody knocks him for his early Pistons losses. Nor is it talked about.

I think Mahomes is the best QB of all time. Obviously to be greatest he needs to win a few more SB's.

Note: A QB can be top five and ahead of someone else who was more talented. And better.

Better and greater are two different things.

I get you're a Chiefs fan, but you need to pump the brake on the "Mahomes GOAT" talk. He's still young enough to suffer a career-ending or even career-hampering injury. He's also got a long way to go before he catches Brady.

And regarding the Montana vs Brady talk, it's very simple: 6 rings > 4 rings.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
absolutely nothing. aside from officially getting to say he's able to win a title without BB

if he loses, why does 4 SB losses mean anything when he's already got 6 titles? that's the same BS people try to use against lebron

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
Mahomes is great but it's insane to me that people don't realize that most of his completions are to wide open guys. I've never seen a scheme offensively where you see so many lob screens to RBs go for 40 yards. Tyreek stretches the defense out, Kelce hones the middle, and the RBs in the backfield behind a great blocking unit are there for easy screen YACs. Mahomes has the perfect cast with the perfect coach/schemer to run roughshod on the league. If you watch the Bills highlights, you'll see maybe 2-3 throws that go to guys with a defender close enough to make a play. Mahomes is hitting wide open guys almost all the time and it's largely due to him extending plays and making the right reads, but I don't think he's necessarily doing something that others couldn't do with that team. Alex Smith was the leagues top rated passer in that system. Obviously Mahomes is leagues better than Smith, and is either the best or 2nd best QB in the league. I just don't think he's playing the position the best its ever been played like a lot of people say. He wouldn't be doing this in Houston.

Reactions: JustJokinenAround

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
And because it's Brady there will be stakes. To me he has nothing else to prove but if he were to get blown out or have a really bad game it would hut his legacy to a lot of people. I don't think he needs to win he just needs to give his team a chance and not have a 2nd half GB type of performance.

but yeah, he is already the GOAT and that has been the case since SB 49 against Seattle. Everything else he's done has been icing on the cake for me.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The only thing at 'stake' for Brady is he can preemptively head off any attempt from Mahomes at ever dethroning him as the GOAT if he wins.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
The only thing at 'stake' for Brady is he can preemptively head off any attempt from Mahomes at ever dethroning him as the GOAT if he wins.
Exactly.

Brady's legacy isn't at stake here. But Mahomes legacy is very much at stake.

Mahomes will never be able to claim he is the GOAT if he loses to a 43 year old Tom Brady playing his 1st year on a team that went 7-9 before he arrived.

If Mahomes loses this game, he will never be the GOAT.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
absolutely nothing. aside from officially getting to say he's able to win a title without BB

if he loses, why does 4 SB losses mean anything when he's already got 6 titles? that's the same BS people try to use against lebron
6 Gold Medals and 4 Silver Medals is better than 6 Gold Medals and 0 Silver Medals.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Exactly.

Brady's legacy isn't at stake here. But Mahomes legacy is very much at stake.

Mahomes will never be able to claim he is the GOAT if he loses to a 43 year old Tom Brady playing his 1st year on a team that went 7-9 before he arrived.

If Mahomes loses this game, he will never be the GOAT.

This.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad