What's at Stake for Brady in SB 55?

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Sure, a win adds to his legacy. Takes down three HOF QB's. 7 SB wins>6. And he wins without Belichick.

But what about if he loses in his own stadium? 4 SB losses ties a record. That would be three losses to Mahomes in a 14 month span.

Some will say he's playing with house money. That nothing he does will hurt him.

What say you?

Note: This will be the first time a Brady led squad is underdogs by 3 points or more since SB 36. Crazy.

wildbill97

Jan 17, 2021
St. Louis (From MN)
I don't get what this thread is about, Brady is the GOAT regardless. Passing the torch is part of the game and Brady has clutched it for a very long time. It's hilarious when people try to hold his Super Bowl losses against him. As if he didn't already win more than a handful of rings. Hell, the game has revolved around him for since 2003. It's best for the rest of the league that he wins one more. Should he lose this one, I think it's a lock that he returns for another season.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Nothing. If he loses, he still has the most super bowl wins of anyone in league history.

If he wins, he becomes the first guy to win a super bowl for his team at home and still has the most super bowl wins in league history + 1

Garbage post but given the OP this doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The fact that he's made the Super Bowl in almost half of all seasons hes played is amazing. As good as Mahomes is I'm not convinced even he will break that record.

Ozamataz Buckshank

Oct 7, 2010
Massachusetts
Sure, a win adds to his legacy. Takes down three HOF QB's. 7 SB wins>6. And he wins without Belichick.

But what about if he loses in his own stadium? 4 SB losses ties a record. That would be three losses to Mahomes in a 14 month span.

Some will say he's playing with house money. That nothing he does will hurt him.

What say you?

Note: This will be the first time a Brady led squad is underdogs by 3 points or more since SB 36. Crazy.

Tying the record for most Super Bowl losses is such a dumb thing to track. It's like you're trying to penalize a guy for making it to the Super Bowl, does it help his legacy if he was 6-0 in Super Bowls but only made 6 of them due to losing earlier in the playoffs?

I don't think anything is at stake for Brady's legacy, he is the greatest of all time regardless of what happens in the game. I do think it will be important for him personally to win without Belichick.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Chance to be the second QB to win a SB for two teams (Manning - Indy & Denver)
Chance to be the first QB to win a SB as the NFC champ AND the AFC champ
Chance to win a 5th SB MVP
Chance to win a 7th SB
Chance to win the SB at home after 3 road playoff wins
If the Bucs win, Brady will have gone through Brees (ok, he sucks now, but still), Rodgers and Mahomes to do it.

All of that at the age of 43.

It is a chance to boost his legacy and add to the narrative. If he losses? Meh, he lost to the best team in the league AND the best QB in the league, no shame in that. His other losses in the SB, he was the favourite. Now, he is not.

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland
Tying the record for most Super Bowl losses is such a dumb thing to track. It's like you're trying to penalize a guy for making it to the Super Bowl, does it help his legacy if he was 6-0 in Super Bowls but only made 6 of them due to losing earlier in the playoffs?

Indeed. Like, if for every time Patriots lost in the Super Bowl, would it make Brady's legacy better if they lost the Championship game or didn't make the playoffs instead or something, and his Super Bowl record was 6-0? Doesn't make any sense.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me

I don't think anything is at stake for Brady's legacy, he is the greatest of all time regardless of what happens in the game. I do think it will be important for him personally to win without Belichick.

Yes in a weird way, some will rip Brady more for getting there and losing had he not got there at all.

Mike Francesa says he prefers Montana because Montana took care of business...cough cough Brady vs Eli in two SB's.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Indeed. Like, if for every time Patriots lost in the Super Bowl, would it make Brady's legacy better if they lost the Championship game or didn't make the playoffs instead or something, and his Super Bowl record was 6-0? Doesn't make any sense.

I see what you mean.

But...

M.J. was 6-0 in the Finals. Nobody knocks him for his early Pistons losses. Nor is it talked about.

I think Mahomes is the best QB of all time. Obviously to be greatest he needs to win a few more SB's.

Note: A QB can be top five and ahead of someone else who was more talented. And better.

Better and greater are two different things.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Yes in a weird way, some will rip Brady more for getting there and losing had he not got there at all.

Mike Francesa says he prefers Montana because Montana took care of business...cough cough Brady vs Eli in two SB's.
It's a stupid & illogical argument driven by emotion instead of objectivity no matter who presents it. Dismissed out of hand.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
The fact that he's made the Super Bowl in almost half of all seasons hes played is amazing. As good as Mahomes is I'm not convinced even he will break that record.

Nobody has ever played QB at the highest level for as long as Brady. And I think it's highly unlikely Mahomes (as he ages) will get close, simply bcuz Mahomes' game relies so much on his legs/escapability. If anyone comes close to replicating Brady's career I think it will have to be another (almost pure) pocket passer.

For critics who are pointing out Brady's shortcomings (after he turned 40).. they must not have any experience living in their 40s, or athletically competing against guys half their age. To be playing at a championship level, as a middle-aged man, in a brutal sport is sick as Hell. My opinion, win or lose this Stupid Bowl, Brady's performance legacy cannot be tarnished. He could do things to tarnish his personal reputation, but not his unequalled performance stature..

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me

It's a team game. Mahomes doesn't have control over making 10 SB's. No player does. Injuries, suspensions, firings, and luck all have an impact.

But I'm prepared to say Mahomes will break the TD and passing record. How long will it take? Who knows. But I wouldn't bet against him.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I see what you mean.

But...

M.J. was 6-0 in the Finals. Nobody knocks him for his early Pistons losses. Nor is it talked about.

I think Mahomes is the best QB of all time. Obviously to be greatest he needs to win a few more SB's.

Note: A QB can be top five and ahead of someone else who was more talented. And better.

Better and greater are two different things.

Bronsexuals do that all the time when they try tot ell you he's the GOAT

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
It's a team game. Mahomes doesn't have control over making 10 SB's. No player does. Injuries, suspensions, firings, and luck all have an impact.

But I'm prepared to say Mahomes will break the TD and passing record. How long will it take? Who knows. But I wouldn't bet against him.

These things also all have an impact on his ability to break the records you think he will break.

He won't have 2 HOFers in his prime to throw to his entire career. What he does when he doesn't will tell us if he will break the records or not.

Is he trending to do so? Sure! Great start to his career on a great team with a lot of weapons in a league with rules favoring passing. Mahomes is an AWESOME QB and probably one of the most talented ever... but people were saying the same things about Rogers and he likely won't beat any records. Mahomes is trending higher, but who knows what happens in the next few years.

Reactions: Voight

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Making it to 10 Super Bowls is insane lmao

just Making it to the super bowl with a different team in a different conference solidifies his legacy. I mean he beat Aaron Rodgers in Lambeau after Rodgers’ second best season ever. That’s a defining moment.

I don’t think losing this game would particularly tarnish his legacy, but that being said, if he were to beat Mahomes I think it would mean a lot down the line wrt debating Mahomes vs Brady. I think Pat needs this ring if he’s gonna try to catch up to Brady.

Reactions: PanthersPens62

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If he doesn't win a superbowl at 43 to the young superstar heir-apparent, it does nothing. If he wins it puts a stamp on being the GOAT. While Manning won a Superbowl with two separate teams, he was nowhere near as impactful as Brady was this year. Manning's performance that year was honestly one of the worst QB Superbowl seasons in recent memory. Brady is looking solid on almost all metrics and grading systems.

Reactions: Voight

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Actually Brady has nothing to win/lose still he is the current GOAT by a mile but what about Mahomes?
If he wins could he make a serious push by the end of career (expecting he wins more SB) as the GOAT?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Hes not even really supposed to be in this game. The bucs were underdogs in the last two games they played. The Saints beat them bad the first two games so everyone assumed they would lose to the Saints. Then when they won that game there was no way they were gonna beat Rodgers on his home terf. The bucs are gonna be underdogs in this game too. No shame in losing to Patrick Mahomes because they have been by far the best team in the league this year. If Bradys team wins this game will mean a lot for a guy who just switched teams and was not expecting to go this far in year one.

Reactions: Hoek

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
If he doesn't win a superbowl at 43 to the young superstar heir-apparent, it does nothing. If he wins it puts a stamp on being the GOAT. While Manning won a Superbowl with two separate teams, he was nowhere near as impactful as Brady was this year. Manning's performance that year was honestly one of the worst QB Superbowl seasons in recent memory. Brady is looking solid on almost all metrics and grading systems.

Yea, Miller and the Orange Crush carried that team to the title. Manning looked decrepit vs Carolina.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad