Post-Game Talk: Whats a "Special Teams" Jets lose 5-3

moosehead81

Jan 7, 2012
Great White North
Chintzy refereeing (doesn't matter which game it is) and the lock-out has pretty well taken away the passion I had for the game. I still watch (not a much though) but it's not the same.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Well by the most recent caller, he feels Trouba could be ready to make the jump. And we also have Grant Clitsome.

With an argument like that I don't see why he's even still on the roster.

Even if Trouba is ready, how does that diminish our need for Hainsey? They don't even play the same side. There is no way in this world you can compare Clitsome with Hainsey.

Vapour Trails

Oct 10, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I think you can distill this loss into two discreet plays. The 3rd and 4th goals against were both similar in that the Jets were caught staring at the puck. The puck carrier drew them in then passed to an uncovered man. Pretty basic stuff.

Wright has been on the ice for several of these defensive breakdowns.

Bogo had a lackluster game as did Postma. Buff has lost a lot of presence since this return from injury. Sure he got 2 assists, but he is not the dominating force he should be.

Right now the biggest weakness for the Jets is the defense, they are quite bad at defending.

This is quite obvious but the PK is just abysmal. I mean, it' not even NHL quality. If this doesn't get fixed, nothing else matters.

PerryPooley

Dec 28, 2011
It's been a couple of hours and that game still pisses me off. But I guess when they finally start to regularly win games like this where they have a 2 goal lead late in the 2nd period, we'll know they're worth taking seriously.

PaperRockChamp

Oct 19, 2009
Wpg
I wonder how long Perry Pearn's special teams system would last on teams like the Red Wings, Bruins, Rangers, Canucks, Devils?

I understand your point but I don't think we've seen Pearn's system yet. Because we're in the SE div, we still have a bit of time to come together. I know it SUCKS watching our PP and PK, I just can't wait to see how much we dominate games if we can figure out our ST's

fergiesbeak

Aug 26, 2008
The Peg
The divers have some good forwards and when we were up 3-1 we should have tightened up our game and we didn't.Crap calls or not our PK is our biggest problem.Too bad Peluso wasn't in the game either instead of wellwood.but then that probably would have meant more penalties against the jets.well maybe more practise is what we need.yahhh right

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
I understand your point but I don't think we've seen Pearn's system yet. Because we're in the SE div, we still have a bit of time to come together. I know it SUCKS watching our PP and PK, I just can't wait to see how much we dominate games if we can figure out our ST's

To be fair, our PK has improved dramatically since the start of the season (mostly because of Pavelec). We missed 2 coverage assignments today both ended up in the back of our net. The other one was a 5-3 and a howitzer shot. There's basically no room for error on the PK.

I've been sayng this for the past 12 games or so...our Power Play is a way bigger problem. Zone entries are diysmal and our entire playbook is shots from the point. It reminds me of when I was in peewee and we had this defenseman who could fire it about 85 mph while the rest of us could only shoot 30. This is the NHL and they have ****ing video. They know exactly what we're doing.

We're 0/15 in the last 4 games. We have 54 shots on 59 opportunities - the worst in the league and its not even close. I blame this entirely on Pearn. Good teams make adjustments - some of them in the game. Our only adjustment was to put Buff in front a couple of times. We have Clitsome out there. Are you kidding me?

I would really like to see us move back to Bogo and Buff at the point. Ladd does a fine job standing in front. I really think Burmi should be out there on the half wall because he's ouir only forward that doesnt **** his pants under pressure.....

The last time I mentioned that our PP was awful, I got scolded by a bunch of people because we were ranked 15th in the league (as if we shouldn't worry about something that is fundamentally flawed because we got a few lucky goals from the point to boost our ranking). If we don't make significant improvements to our PP, we're totally ****ed.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I really hope we don't trade Burmi...he is just too much fun to watch. I think he's one of the most talented players on this team.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
To be fair, our PK has improved dramatically since the start of the season (mostly because of Pavelec). We missed 2 coverage assignments today both ended up in the back of our net. The other one was a 5-3 and a howitzer shot. There's basically no room for error on the PK.

I've been sayng this for the past 12 games or so...our Power Play is a way bigger problem. Zone entries are diysmal and our entire playbook is shots from the point. It reminds me of when I was in peewee and we had this defenseman who could fire it about 85 mph while the rest of us could only shoot 30. This is the NHL and they have ****ing video. They know exactly what we're doing.

We're 0/15 in the last 4 games. We have 54 shots on 59 opportunities - the worst in the league and its not even close. I blame this entirely on Pearn. Good teams make adjustments - some of them in the game. Our only adjustment was to put Buff in front a couple of times. We have Clitsome out there. Are you kidding me?

I would really like to see us move back to Bogo and Buff at the point. Ladd does a fine job standing in front. I really think Burmi should be out there on the half wall because he's ouir only forward that doesnt **** his pants under pressure.....

The last time I mentioned that our PP was awful, I got scolded by a bunch of people because we were ranked 15th in the league (as if we shouldn't worry about something that is fundamentally flawed because we got a few lucky goals from the point to boost our ranking). If we don't make significant improvements to our PP, we're totally ****ed.

I pretty much agree with the sentiments that:

1) Our PK isn't THAT bad... that our poor PK was due to Pav's basically having a 600 PK SV% but he's done well the last three games in restoring that
2) Our PP IS that bad bad... that we have huge issues with:
a) getting quantity of shots
b) getting quality of scoring oppertunities
c) being unpredictable
d) getting zone entry
e) sustaining pressure in

I would really like to see how many of the fans here would be ****ing on our players if
1) Pavelec consistently played like he did against OTT, BOSx2, WSH, PITx2, PHIx2, BUF, CAR
2) We figured our **** on the PP (this is approach issue, not a talent issue)
3) We could have more than 5 minutes of an intact top3 for our D-core

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
(...)

I would really like to see how many of the fans here would be ****ing on our players if
1) Pavelec consistently played like he did against OTT, BOSx2, WSH, PITx2, PHIx2, BUF, CAR
2) We figured our **** on the PP (this is approach issue, not a talent issue)
3) We could have more than 5 minutes of an intact top3 for our D-core

I'd say none, as we'd have more checkmarks in the win column if those things happened.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
crazy sweedes :P

all I got is me whiskey... time to get whiskey drunk and wash away the sorrows:sarcasm:

I spent the evening playing hockey with some friends and then drinking and watching the Jets. And I'm still in a damn ****** mood. I'm thinking about just drinking till I drop and then start from scratch on monday.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Didn't watch or listen to the game but based on the stats and the comments here it sounds like we were done in by our special teams.

Interesting looking at NHL website team stats...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.ht...ort=goals5On5ForAgainstRatio&viewName=summary

Jets are bottom ten in the league with goals for/goals against ratio. They sit at 21st with 0.90. So really, we aren't as good 5-on-5 as some would suggest.

Our penalty killing is dead last at a dreadful 67.9% while our power play is 20th at 15.2% (despite our 0fer slump. I thought it would be lower to be honest). Guess there are a lot of dreadful power plays out there (ie. Rangers).

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
Anyone else think the Flyers are a dirty team who get away with far too much?

Look back to the game in the Peg, Peluso got a charging call, but Rinaldo didn't get squat for his vicious hit against Wright.

Today they were running our guys left and right. Plus hacking away at Pavs without any penalty calls.

RonJon

May 18, 2011
Antropov played bad???
And Tangradi and Thorburn good???
:help::dunno:

Anyone notice this is the 3rd game where Jets' have the momentum and Thorburn takes a "no reason" fight and it wakes up the other team/crowd?

I agree we saw Rinaldo skate away in Winnipeg because it didn't benefit his team (and he's a snivelling rat faced gitt) but Thor thinks he has to drop them because it's the code. Team comes first.

bigplay41*

May 5, 2010
Winnipeg
[/B]

I agree we saw Rinaldo skate away in Winnipeg because it didn't benefit his team (and he's a snivelling rat faced gitt) but Thor thinks he has to drop them because it's the code. Team comes first.

Rinaldo is a ***** didn't be back down to Peluso? Grow some balls

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
LOL @ people blaming the loss on reffing. What are we now? Canucks fans? I don't blame the refs at for the loss.

Last edited:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Didn't watch or listen to the game but based on the stats and the comments here it sounds like we were done in by our special teams.

Interesting looking at NHL website team stats...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.ht...ort=goals5On5ForAgainstRatio&viewName=summary

Jets are bottom ten in the league with goals for/goals against ratio. They sit at 21st with 0.90. So really, we aren't as good 5-on-5 as some would suggest.

Our penalty killing is dead last at a dreadful 67.9% while our power play is 20th at 15.2% (despite our 0fer slump. I thought it would be lower to be honest). Guess there are a lot of dreadful power plays out there (ie. Rangers).

GF/GA
Easy... change our goalie sv% to league average, and even our sh% to last seasons and we'd no longer be in that bottom 10.

PP
Our SF/60 is WAAAAY the **** down to the bottom which means even our "ok" pp isn't really sustainable
http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_team..._s&c=0+1+2+3+4+23+24+25+26+27+28+29+30+31+32#

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Have a beer

Yeah, one ain't gonna be enough.

Like we would have done anything with another power-play anyway.

Lol

Special teams kills us again.

Really unimpressed with how poorly our entire D corps played. Hell, I think Clitsome might have been the best one! That's telling.

That's scary.

Ok you alcoholic. Lol

I STILL want to see more Peluso.
Why not at this point?

Same here. At some time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad