Post-Game Talk: Whats a "Special Teams" Jets lose 5-3

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I love the passion that Kane shows, he is a beast. Burmi is slowly starting to show his potential when he gets top six minutes and was it just me or did Antro have another gear tonight. He played with an edge, and played extremely well. We sure miss Toby back on the point and Buff still looks a step slower since his injury. Postma struggles at times and we really don't have the depth back there right now which is too bad cause we're leaving Pavs out to dry way too often. Tough loss, but no time to pout, big one tomorrow vs the Devils.

Tarks

True North
May 12, 2011
Winnipeg
LOL @ people blaming the loss on reffing. What are we not? Canucks fans? I don't blame the refs at for the loss.

This. How can you blame the ****ing refs when you have the worst PK in the league? You want to blame the refs for a loss? Please. Go cheer for the flippen Canucks already. I thought our fan base was better than this.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I don't see anyone saying the refs are the one and only reason the Jets lost. The calls against Burmistrov and Kane IMO were weak, and there were a couple of non-calls on the Flyers that were blatant.

There were neutral fans on the main board saying the Jets were getting bad calls, it's not just our "whiny" fans. :laugh:

Blaming the loss solely on the refs is silly under any circumstance, but saying they didn't play a factor in this game isn't really correct IMO.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Some thoughts about the game:

Loved the way Kane played today. He's a very good young player. Need one or two more like that.

Ollie, other than your goal, hit the **** net!

Bogo, i thought, seemed a bit off today. Would be nice to see him get a point or two with his bombs from the point. Maybe he's playing too much in a short period of time, after being off for so long.

Pavs played really well. Rebound control seemed to be a bit better, and the odd impossible save didn't hurt.

Not sure why we start with Clitsome and Postma on the points on the PP. That can't be by design, can it?

I'm liking the Kane/Burmi/Antro line. Pretty effective today. Like Wright/Slater/Thorbs too, but i wouldn't have them out against the Giroux line as often as they did today.

Wellwood has lost any step he had. Totally unproductive, imo.

Can Coach Huddy mention to Stuart that trying for a football tackle at the blueline often doesn't work out well for the Jets PK.

Pokeys

Dec 31, 2009
Peg
What about the idea of moving Wellwood onto the 4th line and throw Slater on the 3rd line. Give Slater a chance on the wing w/ some more minutes. Because Wellwood is contributing very little. Slater has above average speed and might be able to get a few bounces go his way with more ice time.

Just had to laugh at that BS too many men on the ice call against us.

TroubaFan1

Jul 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Good team effort today, it was obvious what cost us this game :help:. Thats 5 solid games for pavs in a row now, plus I just have to point out for those who always point to Pavs save % that his % was .895 in the game today, yet it was one of his best games of the season. A low save % does not mean you're playing poorly as a goaltender.

Prot

Sep 21, 2011
What's the deal with people's reading comprehension?

I don't think anyone is saying we lost this game because the reffing was bad.

Regardless of if we have the best or the worst PK in the league the reffing was 'effing horrid. If the Jets would have won by 429803 goals, I'd still be saying that.

What is this the CFL? These guys should be looking up at the replay and realize they got duped by a bunch of orange swan divers.

But at the end of the day, don't kid yourself everyone on this forum knows the PK and more so the PP is an absolute train wreck. No one is blaming the refs for that.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I don't know why people are complaining about Jokinen missing the net on so many opportunities. The fact is after that goal he was moving his feet and playing the puck with more confidence than he has all season. I say this as both a Jets fan and someone who mistakingly took him in the 6th round of our forum's fantasy league draft (he's been my worst player by far) - today was by far his best game as a Jet. Any other game he wouldn't have even given himself the opportunity to shoot wide so much. Keep your expectations in check.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I don't know why people are complaining about Jokinen missing the net on so many opportunities. The fact is after that goal he was moving his feet and playing the puck with more confidence than he has all season. I say this as both a Jets fan and someone who mistakingly took him in the 6th round of our forum's fantasy league draft (he's been my worst player by far) - today was by far his best game as a Jet. Any other game he wouldn't have even given himself the opportunity to shoot wide so much. Keep your expectations in check.

Small victories, i suppose.

But i was under the impression the Jets signed him to produce some goals this year. Hard to do that when you miss the net by 4 feet, from 15 feet in front of the net.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
What's the deal with people's reading comprehension?

I don't think anyone is saying we lost this game because the reffing was bad.

Regardless of if we have the best or the worst PK in the league the reffing was 'effing horrid. If the Jets would have won by 429803 goals, I'd still be saying that.

You can't be complaing too much about penalties because over the course of the season it all ends up balancing out. I don't see anyone here complaing about the penalty to Coburn with 4 mins left. People seem to magnify the bad calls against the Jets but ignore the ones in their favor (Coburn penalty being the best example in this game). At the end of the day your PP and PK have to be atleast somewhat competent if you want success in this league. I am jealous when I see other teams move the puck beautifully on the PP, whereas the only move on the Jets seems to be to send the puck to the point for a blast by one of the defensemen. It is clear that our PP has been figured out, our PP numbers are artificially being inflated from early in the season when teams were not familiar with the Jets PP system.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Small victories, i suppose.

But i was under the impression the Jets signed him to produce some goals this year. Hard to do that when you miss the net by 4 feet, from 15 feet in front of the net.

I don't disagree with you, my point is people are complaining like this was the first Jets game they've seen all year. Improvement doesn't warrant praise when it's still way below expectations but it also doesn't warrant multiple complaints. Also keep in mind he's playing with useless linemates now - other than his goal created by Wheelers hussle he had to create his own opportunities.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Gotta say, that Slater penalty for gloving the puck was one of the stupidest things I've seen all season. WTH was he doing??

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Nope. It was another one of those new rules penalties. When I first saw him do it right off the face-off I thought "****! You nit-wit what are you doing?!!" Then the ref blew the whistle and Beyak said it was for high-sticking. But I knew it wasn't, and sure enough...it wasn't...:shakehead Really really bone-headed play.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
You can't be complaing too much about penalties because over the course of the season it all ends up balancing out. I don't see anyone here complaing about the penalty to Coburn with 4 mins left. People seem to magnify the bad calls against the Jets but ignore the ones in their favor (Coburn penalty being the best example in this game). At the end of the day your PP and PK have to be atleast somewhat competent if you want success in this league. I am jealous when I see other teams move the puck beautifully on the PP, whereas the only move on the Jets seems to be to send the puck to the point for a blast by one of the defensemen. It is clear that our PP has been figured out, our PP numbers are artificially being inflated from early in the season when teams were not familiar with the Jets PP system.

That's not the system, that is the players playing the system. They aren't executing. Look how many times they:

-try to skate it in alone
-make a dump to a bad area
-make a dump and fail to bust their ***** to get to it
-bobble a straightforward pass
-not do enough to settle a bouncing puck
-force a dumb pass that isn't there
-get bottled up by the defender and roll the puck along the boards making the target wait for it and have to pull it off the boards, making them an easy check
-stay stationery, simplifying the defenders task of blocking off passing lanes.

Some of the best PP strategies focus on working the puck back to the point and generating shots at the net. Teams that employ this strategy aren't doing it in stealth mode -- their opposition knows that is what they are going to do. Difference? Execution.

The Jets are so convinced they suck on the PP, it has become a self fulfilling prophecy. I've actually seen them executing from time to time, and our PP looks pretty good when they do. Problem is, at critical times, when we desperately need a PP goal, we clutch our sticks, and don't believe as a team we can get it done. We need some success to get our confidence back on the PP.

Having said all that, I think we do have 2 great shooters (Buff and Bogo), and 2 pretty solid shooters (Postma and Clitsome). I would try and change things up (and maybe the players mindsets) by running an umbrella.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I agree with you. They seem to have soooo little confidence in their PP. That's the point where you should really question the special teams coach and maybe make a change. Even if it just serves to boost some life in their play again.

Tarks

True North
May 12, 2011
Winnipeg
It seems that we aren't as physical as we were last year and we are nowhere near as aggressive. They play like they are scared to take penalties.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Good team effort today, it was obvious what cost us this game :help:. Thats 5 solid games for pavs in a row now, plus I just have to point out for those who always point to Pavs save % that his % was .895 in the game today, yet it was one of his best games of the season. A low save % does not mean you're playing poorly as a goaltender.

I don't think anyone believes that save % is a reliable indicator of goaltender performance for a sample size of one game. Reliability increases with sample size, that's basic stats. The more number-savvy guys around here can probably come up with a number of games where shot quality begins to show a somewhat normal distribution.

Pavelec has been pretty solid on this road trip, let's hope it continues.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I don't think anyone believes that save % is a reliable indicator of goaltender performance for a sample size of one game. Reliability increases with sample size, that's basic stats. The more number-savvy guys around here can probably come up with a number of games where shot quality begins to show a somewhat normal distribution.

Pavelec has been pretty solid on this road trip, let's hope it continues.

For me, that chart that garret made showing Pavelec's save percentage over his career vs. league average was very telling. Of course quality of shots against has to figure in at some point but when you've only been at or above league average for a very small percentage of your career, that says a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad