OT: Whatcha Listening To?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Okay, so I'm now doing a play-through of the John Lennon Signature Box.

Have to admit, there's lot of amazing box sets out there from the past 10 years --- if you have the money.

For anyone who's never listened to the entire Imagine album, you really should give it a go. Obviously, most people are familiar with the title track, but the entire album itself is arguably one of my favorite.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida

Have to admit, there's lot of amazing box sets out there from the past 10 years --- if you have the money.

For anyone who's never listened to the entire Imagine album, you really should give it a go. Obviously, most people are familiar with the title track, but the entire album itself is arguably one of my favorite.
Well, don't argue with yourself. Thanks for reminding me about this "long lost album" of mine. Went on you tube for easy access and am listening as we "speak". Lmao.
Nice to go back a little in time, from time to time to time.
My personal favorite on that album is track 2. "Jealous Guy".

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

Two box sets I go back to time and again: Aretha Franklin - "Queen of Soul" and James Brown - "Star Time".

Reactions: Sarge13

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
The Clash is always in rotation. Lately I've been re-visiting The Tubes. Those guys were out of their minds (until the record company started demanding hits and Toto basically wrote and played one of their records as unlisted session guys)

Most people like London Calling the best but I've always preferred their first album whether the American version or the British. My favorite Clash songs are Janie Jones and the two reggae-ish songs off that record--White Man and Police and Thieves and really that's just about the beginnings of punk rocks alliance with the reggae world. The Ruts were another band that incorporated reggae into their music--Love in vain is just beautiful and Jah War. Then there were D.O.A. and also the Bad Brains.
Funny, I was just popping in to mention London Calling. My sort-of hobby this winter has been tracking down the best pressings of certain albums, general sound-quality (not like HDTracks 850,193kHz downloads), and I recently got the first Japanese CD pressing of London Calling from 1988. It sounds incredible; you can turn up the volume to borderline painful levels and it still sounds good lol.

Sandinista! is great. For me, when it comes to movies, books, and music: the longer, the better. And really, there are only two ways to follow up a one-hour+ 2xLP like London Calling: 1) straightforward, back-to-basics, short-and-sweet, so basically Give 'Em Enough Rope again, or, 2) say f*** it, now we're gonna do TWO hours+ and make it a TRIPLE LP. :laugh:

Respect. Sandinista! is like taking a trip somewhere, interspersed with some of the best songs the Clash ever laid down. When you put out the best album of the 1980s during literally the first month of the f***ing decade, you're allowed to do whatever the hell you want.

Okay, so I'm now doing a ply-through of the John Lennon Signature Box.

Box sets, and vinyl reissues have become a thing recently too. They reissued Bad Religion's entire discography on vinyl in one box set, I think it was like $150 at the time. If I can ever justify buying an exorbitant copy of an album that will never even get played, in 1997 Spiritualized released a limited edition box set version of their new album Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space themed as a box of medication. It came with 12 x 3" CDs each containing one track, and a pamphlet for the credits. They reissued a black version of the set in 2009, but an unopened, near-mint copy of the original 1997 version goes for like $300+ now lol.
R-607356-1182518819.jpeg.jpg
In 2014 Touch And Go released a remastered box set of Slint's 1991 Spiderland which is really cool too. They're selling all their leftover warehouse copies for the original price of $150. Mono is becoming hip now, too, it seems.

Edit: @OhYeahAndVesey @eco's bones ,speaking of the Clash and box sets: their 2013 box set Sound System. Mick Jones oversaw the re-mastering, which they did from the original tapes, Paul Simonon designed the packaging. Vinyl replica CDs, and the poster tube is a giant cigarette. :laugh: Honestly though, how cool?
...[including] original promo videos and live footage, an owner's manual booklet, reprints of the band's original 'Armagideon Times' fanzine as well as a brand new edition curated and designed by Paul Simonon and merchandise including dog tags, badges, stickers and an exclusive Clash poster.

Last edited:

Sarge13

May 30, 2018
Really is amazing. Probably could play one song after another for about 8 hours worth or more.

Plus there's the Wilburys and Mudcrutch when your done with that !

I highly recommend the doc "Running Down a Dream".

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
If I can ever justify buying an exorbitant copy of an album that will never even get played, in 1997 Spiritualized released a limited edition box set version of their new album Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space themed as a box of medication. It came with 12 x 3" CDs each containing one track, and a pamphlet for the credits. They reissued a black version of the set in 2009, but an unopened, near-mint copy of the original 1997 version goes for like $300+ now lol.

Had no idea this existed but that's amazing, lol. Hell of an album.

Reactions: aufheben

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Had no idea this existed but that's amazing, lol. Hell of an album.
Yeah, I don’t like using the word ‘masterpiece’, but for 1997, I think it is. Pierce has had some amazing album sleeves done. Still puts out new music too, another Spiritualized release last year.

Primal Scream is one of those bands that I like and not a single one of my friends is on board with them
It’s a little outside my usual tastes (which are probably too narrow now that I think about it), but it’s just such infectiously good music.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Weezer just released an album of crappy covers if you're a navel-gazing millenial.

It's ~alright.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I know we have some metal heads here (@Machinehead)

Dream Theater f***ing shreds! :yo:

Good New York band. I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy, and I've heard they're very nice.

Dream Theater and Avenged Sevenfold are two of my favorites so it was really cool when Portnoy stepped in for the Rev. One of the best drummers ever.

I saw the track list for the upcoming album and they're pretty short songs by Dream Theater standards. Petrucci says it will be simple and heavy. Straight metal. Don't get me wrong, I love their progressive stuff and their lighter stuff but this project sounds like a lot of fun.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
Two box sets I go back to time and again: Aretha Franklin - "Queen of Soul" and James Brown - "Star Time".

I still have my AF box set from when I worked at Atlantic Records. Classic.

Definitely a great one.

I liked Joy Division a lot and also have the first couple LP's that New Order made. Their contemporaries The Fall from Manchester too--great great band.

Both Joy Division and New Order were great. I saw New Order a couple of years ago and surprisingly they still put on a really good show.

Have you seen Peter Hook, the former bassist, in concert? He plays about 1.5 hours of New Order and another 1.5 hours of Joy Division. I've seen him multiple times. He's not the greatest singer, but it's always a fun show.

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I still have my AF box set from when I worked at Atlantic Records. Classic.

Definitely a great one.

Both Joy Division and New Order were great. I saw New Order a couple of years ago and surprisingly they still put on a really good show.

Have you seen Peter Hook, the former bassist, in concert? He plays about 1.5 hours of New Order and another 1.5 hours of Joy Division. I've seen him multiple times. He's not the greatest singer, but it's always a fun show.

No I haven't but I've always liked Peter's bass playing. The last I knew he and his former compatriots were not on speaking terms but that happens sometimes.

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
No I haven't but I've always liked Peter's bass playing. The last I knew he and his former compatriots were not on speaking terms but that happens sometimes.

Yeah, they had a falling out to say the least. Peter tours all the time. You should check him out if you get the chance. It's amazing to hear the Joy Division songs played live.

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Yeah, they had a falling out to say the least. Peter tours all the time. You should check him out if you get the chance. It's amazing to hear the Joy Division songs played live.

If he happens to drop into the general area I live in I would be glad too--there's just not a whole lot of bands that come our way. We did get to see the Dropkicks and Flogging Molly (who brought along Jake Burns from Stiff Little Fingers) last summer. Ithaca sometimes gets something good though. That's not that far away.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
This one's a classic for me too:

Rad!

A couple months ago, I was staying at the Wyndham by 95 n Glades in Boca as my central AC was being redone, Blood Sweat & Tears were staying there...I got to hang out with Glenn McLelland, for about an hour in the lobby, as he double times for both.

He's like have you ever heard of Ween? I was like "!!!! - ::whistling the opening to Bananas & Blow: " LOL

Can't wait to see em next time around

Sarge13

May 30, 2018
It's funny that you guys mentioned Ween, in Jeff tweedy's new book he says one of the greatest things he's seen touring the last 30 years was in 1991, Ween opened for Uncle Tupelo, Gene Ween totally went crazy and smashed his acoustic guitar to pieces on stage - during soundcheck !

As he exited the stage he nonchalantly looks over at Jeff and says hey man can I borrow your guitar tonight?

And what's even funnier is that one of my all-time greatest stories about being a musician in New York also has to do with Ween, but that would be a long story to tell involving a basement jam session in Hasidic Brooklyn with one of their former bass players who made his own hooch, used a gas mask to better smoke substances and had two European call girls living upstairs :propeller

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Plus there's the Wilburys and Mudcrutch when your done with that !

I highly recommend the doc "Running Down a Dream".

Oh please, I felt like I discovered that song and told EVERY SINGLE FRIEND OF MINE (at the time) its like the best driving song ever! How about "Tweeter and the Monkey Man"? Lol.

Reactions: Sarge13
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad