"Respect" - Aretha's cover of an Otis Redding song
"Hallelujah" - Jeff Buckley's cover of Leonard Cohen's song

Personal choices:

"Hurt" - Johnny Cash's over of the Nine Inch Nail's song
" Last Kiss" - Pear Jam's cover of Wayne Cochran's song
"Back in the High Life Again" - Warren Zevon's cover of the Steve Winwood song
"Jolene"" - The White Stripes cover of the Dolly Parton song
"Scarlet Begonias" - Sublime cover of the Grateful Dead song
Hurt is great. Didn't hear the White Stripes version of the Parton song.

Heard Megadeth cover "Anarchy in UK" and that was great. Perry Farrell covering "Here comes the Sun" is also very good.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Listening to Muse.

Not necessarily a band that I will sit and listen to for hours, but multiple songs I enjoy.

They're great. They have changed over the years but are always in interesting listen. Seems to have gotten more melodic/electronic over the years but there are some truly terrific songs. And they are amazing in concert.

Reactions: Edge

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Re-listening to all the Beatles studio albums.

In the middle of Revolver - which splits the differences for my wife and mom’s preferences for early Beatles, and my preference for the later work.

Reactions: Sarge13

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Re-listening to all the Beatles studio albums.

In the middle of Revolver - which splits the differences for my wife and mom’s preferences for early Beatles, and my preference for the later work.
Just got on this kick too a few weeks ago

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Slightly embarrassed I only heard this album for the first time last week. Holy shit did 1991 put out some monster records.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Covers: What's the best one you heard?

I know that Hendrix doing Watchtower is great and better than the original. But that aside.

Metallica's "Turn the Page". Confession: I like it better than the original. They almost made it in to a different song.
"Dear Prudence" by Siouxsie And The Banshees [The Beatles]
This is practically the original version of the song for me. That band did some epic covers, like "Helter Skelter" on their first album The Scream. Siouxsie Sioux just tears it apart, and it fits in so seamlessly with the rest of the album, I didn't even realize that was a Beatles song until later. They released a whole album of covers, actually.​

"Starship" by Spacemen 3 [MC5]
11:26 of distortion, feedback, and more or less every type of guitar pedal ever invented. Instrumental. Not something you'd want to sit back and read to.
I like these too:
"Eight Miles High" by Hüsker Dü [The Byrds]
"Here Come The Warm Jets" by Bardo Pond [Brian Eno]
"Children Of The Revolution" by Violent Femmes [T.Rex]​

Reactions: eco's bones

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I was going through my old playlists on Spotify and found my "divorce list". Music I listened to right after my divorce and moving back from South Africa to the Netherlands.

Some of the songs on that list:

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Obvious ones:
"Respect" - Aretha's cover of an Otis Redding song
"Hallelujah" - Jeff Buckley's cover of Leonard Cohen's song

Personal choices:

"Hurt" - Johnny Cash's over of the Nine Inch Nail's song
" Last Kiss" - Pear Jam's cover of Wayne Cochran's song
"Back in the High Life Again" - Warren Zevon's cover of the Steve Winwood song
"Jolene"" - The White Stripes cover of the Dolly Parton song
"Scarlet Begonias" - Sublime cover of the Grateful Dead song

That's a great cover. I think JC's cover of Rusty Cage might be my favorite cover ever.

Reactions: Edge

Sarge13

May 30, 2018
I was lucky enough to be working at the House of Blues in Los Angeles in 1997 when Cash played 4 sold-out nights, I attended 2 of them, he played quite a few of those 'American Recording' songs, one of my favorites discs at the time. Best part was watching him do soundcheck every afternoon, class and perfection.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I certainly hope nobody here likes that inane song in the Apple iPhone X commercial where people run around aimlessly in color outfits. Just awful. I mean, terrible.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
A Russian Uber driver in Prague last year gave me a CD. Turns out he's in a Russian Indie rock band and he wanted to share his music. Pretty cool way to discover new music haha
It really is. A few summers ago I bought tickets to a show where my favorite band was headlining from a guy who was one of the earlier opening acts' frontman. He and I met up, we talked a bit and hung out and he gave me a CD. Pretty good stuff really and kind of opened up my musical interest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad