OT: Whatcha Listening To?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I still have my AF box set from when I worked at Atlantic Records. Classic.

Definitely a great one.

Both Joy Division and New Order were great. I saw New Order a couple of years ago and surprisingly they still put on a really good show.

Have you seen Peter Hook, the former bassist, in concert? He plays about 1.5 hours of New Order and another 1.5 hours of Joy Division. I've seen him multiple times. He's not the greatest singer, but it's always a fun show.
The “lead bass” was so infectious and became hugely influential. Hook wrote countless iconic riffs: “Disorder”, “Transmission”, “Digital”, “Age Of Consent”, “Dreams Never End”, “New Dawn Fades”, “Twenty Four Hours”, “Thieves Like Us”, “Love Will Tear Us Apart”, “Colony”, “Isolation”, “She’s Lost Control”and last but not least (and my favorite song of all time, since I was 15,) “Ceremony.”

Stephen Morris was equally integral to the sound JD/NO. Very inventive, could keep tempos to blazing tribal ryhthms, crawling primal poundings, and everything in between. The hi-hat/tom-tom interplay. just as many iconic fills and beats as Curtis had lyrics, and Hook had riffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: nyrage

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
So, I've come across a turntable (was collecting dust in a friend's parents' attic): Bang & Olufsen Beogram RX2.

Aesthetically and electronically it's in very good condition (thing was manufactured from mid-80s until 1991.) The platter, speed buttons, cue, power button, all work fine. However, (I was expecting this), there appears to be an issue with either the cartridge or stylus. I don't know anything about record players, (nor do I own a microscrope lmao), but I know a new stylus for this model costs like $200 to start. I'll have to look into the problem. I did take the best pictures I could of the cartridge.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The “lead bass” was so infectious and became hugely influential. Hook wrote countless iconic riffs: “Disorder”, “Transmission”, “Digital”, “Age Of Consent”, “Dreams Never End”, “New Dawn Fades”, “Twenty Four Hours”, “Thieves Like Us”, “Love Will Tear Us Apart”, “Colony”, “Isolation”, “She’s Lost Control”and last but not least (and my favorite song of all time, since I was 15,) “Ceremony.”

Stephen Morris was equally integral to the sound JD/NO. Very inventive, could keep tempos to blazing tribal ryhthms, crawling primal poundings, and everything in between. The hi-hat/tom-tom interplay. just as many iconic fills and beats as Curtis had lyrics, and Hook had riffs.

Peter has written a couple books--one about his Joy Division days and one about his New Order days. I read the first and liked it quite a lot. But anyway according to him--when Bill Wyman retired from the Stones or quit or whatever he did they came looking to see if he were interested and Peter told them no and a main reason why was Peter (like his bandmate Bernard who he kind of grew up with) was not a trained musician and Peter found it nearly impossible to play other people's music. He and Bernard created their own stuff and worked things out together that's what he knew. Another thing is he's most often seen with a 6 string bass and it's a particular model and I can't think of it right now.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Peter has written a couple books--one about his Joy Division days and one about his New Order days. I read the first and liked it quite a lot. But anyway according to him--when Bill Wyman retired from the Stones or quit or whatever he did they came looking to see if he were interested and Peter told them no and a main reason why was Peter (like his bandmate Bernard who he kind of grew up with) was not a trained musician and Peter found it nearly impossible to play other people's music. He and Bernard created their own stuff and worked things out together that's what he knew. Another thing is he's most often seen with a 6 string bass and it's a particular model and I can't think of it right now.
Hah I saw yesterday! I was reading an article on his favorite bass tracks by JD/NO. So cool, it's called a Shergold Marathon apparently. Also while reading, I discovered I have the same chorus pedal that he uses, the Electro-Harmonix Clone Theory (handed down from my dad, so it might even be the same older model.)
Shergold_m4xrbi.jpg
electro-harmonix-the-clone-theory-xl.jpg

I just remembered "Age Of Consent" was playing when I got my first speeding ticket. :laugh:

Speaking of box sets and Joy Division, I was reading people's favorite pressings of their albums, and there is this Japan-only limited edition 5-CD retrospective (Unknown Pleasures/Closer/Still/Substance/Atmosphere single) released in 1991 just titled Joy Division 1979 - 1980 that has achieved like mythical quality with the fanatics due to its sound dynamics and rarity. This guy has a mint copy listed on Discogs for $600.00 :laugh:
Joy Division - 1977 - 1980: Box, Comp + CD, Album + CD, Album + CD, Album + CD For Sale | Discogs

Edit: Shit. This is NO different than when I was 11-years-old and I collected the Japanese Pokémon cards instead of the American cards. ROFL. F–M–L.

Seriously? I would have expected you to create a cult for that album.
I don't have the charisma to start a cult. Lol that's funny, while I was listening to it I thought "you know, I bet Steve would dig this;" whelp, looks like Steve is already TOO COOL FOR ME NOW, so, yeah.

Last edited:
Reactions: eco's bones

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
Hah I saw yesterday! I was reading an article on his favorite bass tracks by JD/NO. So cool, it's called a Shergold Marathon apparently. Also while reading, I discovered I have the same chorus pedal that he uses, the Electro-Harmonix Clone Theory (handed down from my dad, so it might even be the same older model.)

I just remembered "Age Of Consent" was playing when I got my first speeding ticket. :laugh:

Speaking of box sets and Joy Division, I was reading people's favorite pressings of their albums, and there is this Japan-only limited edition 5-CD retrospective (Unknown Pleasures/Closer/Still/Substance/Atmosphere single) released in 1991 just titled Joy Division 1979 - 1980 that has achieved like mythical quality with the fanatics due to its sound dynamics and rarity. This guy has a mint copy listed on Discogs for $600.00 :laugh:
Joy Division - 1977 - 1980: Box, Comp + CD, Album + CD, Album + CD, Album + CD For Sale | Discogs

Edit: ****. This is NO different than when I was 11-years-old and I collected the Japanese Pokémon cards instead of the American cards. ROFL. F–M–L.

I don't have the charisma to start a cult. Lol that's funny, while I was listening to it I thought "you know, I bet Steve would dig this;" whelp, looks like Steve is already TOO COOL FOR ME NOW, so, yeah.

If memory serves, it was just the anniversary of Joy Division playing their first show after having changed their name.

Reactions: aufheben

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Edit: ****. This is NO different than when I was 11-years-old and I collected the Japanese Pokémon cards instead of the American cards. ROFL. F–M–L.

I have several guitars--among which are a Japanese Fender strat (with only one humbucker pickup) from the 80's, a Gretsch, a Hagstrom but my favorite is an Ibanez Artcore modeled after a 335. It is so easy to play and has great tone and if something happened to it I would immediately go out and get another one. Hook feels the same way about his Shergold Marathon because he felt the need to get several of them. Maybe I should look around for a Clone Theory pedal.

As for Joy Division I have Unknown Pleasures, Closer and Still in vinyl and an Lp size 45 of Love will tear us apart and Atmosphere. I have a CD which includes some of their earlier stuff (when they were known as Warsaw) and outtakes.

Reactions: Headmaster Ritual

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I have several guitars--among which are a Japanese Fender strat (with only one humbucker pickup) from the 80's, a Gretsch, a Hagstrom but my favorite is an Ibanez Artcore modeled after a 335. It is so easy to play and has great tone and if something happened to it I would immediately go out and get another one. Hook feels the same way about his Shergold Marathon because he felt the need to get several of them. Maybe I should look around for a Clone Theory pedal.

As for Joy Division I have Unknown Pleasures, Closer and Still in vinyl and an Lp size 45 of Love will tear us apart and Atmosphere. I have a CD which includes some of their earlier stuff (when they were known as Warsaw) and outtakes.
Whoa a Japanese Strat? I’ve never heard much about them. Maybe I’ll post a vid of the EHX pedal. They old ones sell for quite a bit apparently. I got pretty lucky in the music hand-downs. From my grandfather, there's gorgeous Gretsch '50s sunburst hollow-body, and peculiar Ampeg '69 Dan Armstrong Plexi. I'm almost certain the Armstrong is a prototype, since it has only "DAN ARMSTRONG" etched on the bottom of the pickguard, whereas every production model I've seen has "DAN ARMSTRONG • AMPEG". Ampeg was based in Newark where he lived, and he designed their logo, so it would make sense. There's the EHX, a '70s Thomas Organ Cry Baby, '79-82 DOD Analog Delay 680, and a badass '74-75 Pignose 7-100.

My dad has the two guitars stashed away obviously, I've got a Standard Tele.

Last edited:

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
Man, the last time Vampire Weekend put out music we were coming off our first ECF (in the new era) and about to get our asses kicked by the Bruins. I feel so old... that is to say, I am listening to new VW.

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX

Not sure if you've seen this already. Ceremony video on NME

New Order share rare footage of beautiful 'Ceremony' performance from 1981 - NME

Reactions: Sarge13

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
Played Faith No More for my 21 year old intern on a road trip for a client.

Outside or wondering if they came before or after RHCP, it was a fun experience to share.

I remember seeing Faith No More, Soundgarden, and Voivod at the Ritz in Jan of 1990. What a great show.

Speaking of Soundgarden, I saw them at the Roseland Ballroom in May 9th of 92. Why does that date stick out? It's because it was one of the most painful playoff losses in our history. We lost to the Pens in OT. We were up 2 games to 1 with all the momentum after a game 3 OT win and had a 3-1 lead late in the second when Richter gave up that long goal from center ice to Francis. We then blew the lead in the 3rd period. I was in a bar watching and had to leave before the start of OT for the Soundgarden show. Just awful.

Reactions: Edge

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

I have the Movement LP--it's kind of a powder blue cover and it was Factory Records. New Order had some good stuff but honestly I liked Joy Division better. On Movement all the vocals are kind of coming out of the background--sometimes almost mumbled. These guys were trying to figure out who was going to do the vocals though--that'd never been their thing before. Personally my main issue with New Order came though when they went more and more to the keyboards. I liked how Bernard played guitar and Hook had all those awesome bass hooks.

A little bit off subject here but Hook tells the story that Martin Hannett on Atrocity Exhibition on JD's Closer album had Sumner and Hook switch instruments--so Hook on guitar and Sumner with the bass riff. One of my favorites off that album so I'd say it worked out pretty well. The title comes from a book by J. G. Ballard and that's a great book too.

Reactions: nyrage

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I don't think so, will watch tonight. Thanks!

This guy actually does a fantastic job mimicking Hook's stye and equipment. Tbh I never really noticed effects on the bass before having this conversation :laugh:, which I suppose speaks to his skill as a musician. But now that I notice it, I can hear it in a bunch of later bands like the Cure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad