OT: Whatcha Listening To?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It really is. A few summers ago I bought tickets to a show where my favorite band was headlining from a guy who was one of the earlier opening acts' frontman. He and I met up, we talked a bit and hung out and he gave me a CD. Pretty good stuff really and kind of opened up my musical interest

I once heard a song from a Australian Indie group "We Grow Up". The song was titled "Celia". I could not find their music anywhere at the time. Not iTunes, not Spotify, not even albums on Amazon or eBay.

So... I sent them an email, asking where I could purchase their album. They got back to me, asked me for my address so they could send me a copy of their album, free of charge. I was living in the Netherlands at the time so for them to ship a cd across the world for free, was a pretty great gesture.

3 weeks later, I received a package. In it, were 2 CDs, their debut album as well, a t-shirt, a hat, a key chain, signed photos and a hand-written letter from the lead singer thanking me for the email. I still have that box.

Reactions: Sarge13

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
That's wild and a pretty good story. Same here, I have the CD and when the guy is still in town we grab dinner and hang out.

Somehow though I don't think the same will happen for these Russian and Czech DJs I listen to :laugh:

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
"Dear Prudence" by Siouxsie And The Banshees [The Beatles]
This is practically the original version of the song for me. That band did some epic covers, like "Helter Skelter" on their first album The Scream. Siouxsie Sioux just tears it apart, and it fits in so seamlessly with the rest of the album, I didn't even realize that was a Beatles song until later. They released a whole album of covers, actually.​

"Starship" by Spacemen 3 [MC5]
11:26 of distortion, feedback, and more or less every type of guitar pedal ever invented. Instrumental. Not something you'd want to sit back and read to.
I like these too:
"Eight Miles High" by Hüsker Dü [The Byrds]
"Here Come The Warm Jets" by Bardo Pond [Brian Eno]
"Children Of The Revolution" by Violent Femmes [T.Rex]​

I have Husker Du's version of Eight Miles High on a '45. It's fantastic.

Reactions: Kaapo di tutti capi

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
On covers- I like the Sublime version of Scarlet Begonias better than the original Dead version. Just think it sounds better sped up a bit.

Actually remember in middle school hearing it a bunch and a friend telling me that’s a Dead song - this is a cover. And being shocked. Ha. It just sounded so much like a song Sublime would have written then.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Feel like I am on a family vacation road trip with my parents having control of the radio again. :laugh:

One-oh-one (CBS FM) One-oh-one (CBS FM) We play your favorite oldies, CBS FM!

That, and whatever the AM big band station was, were rough over long stretches.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
One-oh-one (CBS FM) One-oh-one (CBS FM) We play your favorite oldies, CBS FM!

That, and whatever the AM big band station was, were rough over long stretches.

Cousin Brucie.

And suddenly it's the mid-1980s and my I'm crammed into the back of a station wagon with my brother and sisters.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Dan Ingram. Mr Music Norm N. Knight

He was definitely a 101.1 guy. Normal Nite I had to google, that name doesn't ring a bell.

God, I can barely remember this stuff anymore. Its just weird fuzzy memories.

My favorite game was using an extendable broken antenna I had found to change the channel from the back seats when we went through the Battery Tunnel and see how long it took my parents to realize they were listening to different stuff. If it was my father it could be a while.

Sarge13

May 30, 2018
I was lucky, my father grew out of his doo-wop phase years before I was born, strictly WNEW, the legendary Pete Fornatale was the man in NYC.

Reactions: NCRanger

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I was lucky, my father grew out of his doo-wop phase years before I was born, strictly WNEW, the legendary Pete Fornatale was the man in NYC.

I feel like doo-wop was the music of choice in the car, or "oldies" in general.

At home, my mom had a pretty extensive record collection which contained everything from The Beatles and The Stones, to Billy Joel, Donna Summer, Miami Sound Machine, Eagles, Elvis, Sinatra, Dean Martin and more.

But I don't remember our car having an eight track or cassette player as a kid --- it was always the radio.

Occasionally, if were driving with one of our parents, they would let us pick the radio station. Being the youngest in the family, that meant I was exposed to most music from the 1940s through the 1980s as a kid.

Sarge13

May 30, 2018
Yeah my parents albums were very similar, my father didn't have many he stuck to his favorites - Beatles, Stones, Traffic, Cream, Hendrix, Joe Cocker, Billy Joel, Queen, Devo, Men At Work. Mom was more The Platters, Johnny Mathis, Fleetwood Mac, 70s/80s pop.

They hated that my brother and I listened to Kiss at 6 years old....

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Yeah my parents albums were very similar, my father didn't have many he stuck to his favorites - Beatles, Stones, Traffic, Cream, Hendrix, Joe Cocker, Billy Joel, Queen, Devo, Men At Work. Mom was more The Platters, Johnny Mathis, Fleetwood Mac, 70s/80s pop.

They hated that my brother and I listened to Kiss at 6 years old....

Music in my family was all on my mom's side. I don't think my father owned a single album. Outside of Benny Goodman, for whom he was a delivery boy in his youth, I don't know if I can recall another musician my father ever really commented on.

He'd listen to his news radio, but generally speaking it wasn't really his thing.

Sarge13

May 30, 2018
Music in my family was all on my mom's side. I don't think my father owned a single album. Outside of Benny Goodman, for whom he was a delivery boy in his youth, I don't know if I can recall another musician my father ever really commented on.

He'd listen to his news radio, but generally speaking it wasn't really his thing.

My family was the opposite my father's family was into music. My grandmother was a big band singer at the age of 17, auditioned for Tommy Dorsey, and my grandfather was a Sinatra guy, and actually pal'd around with him in certain social circles ;)

When my dad got out of the military he became a staple at the Fillmore East in the late 60's, saw everyone from Hendrix, The Who, Cream, Janis, etc. He was also one of the dopes that actually bought a ticket to Woodstock :laugh:

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC

Our cars only had AM radio in them until 1985, so car trips were WHN, as my dad liked country as opposed to pop at that time. Luckily for me, he was never really into doo-wop or much of that style. He went from Buddy Holly to the Beach Boys to The Who and the Dead.

After we got a car with FM, realized my dad liked rock more than country, as he usually put WNEW or WDHA on. Sister hated it then, and she usually got her way with Z-100 (blech!)

Later, dad was the only guy I knew who had a WNEW bumper sticker next to a Bush/Quayle sticker blasting a Dead or Springsteen album, LOL.

That said, going to church on Sunday mornings was dreadful as my dad LOVED Pete Fornatale and that Mixed Bag show on Sundays.

After WNEW went away, he listened to WFUV until dementia took his health.

Sarge13

May 30, 2018
Wilco at the Hawks game last night!

Screenshot_20190123-174419.jpg

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I once heard a song from a Australian Indie group "We Grow Up". The song was titled "Celia". I could not find their music anywhere at the time. Not iTunes, not Spotify, not even albums on Amazon or eBay.

So... I sent them an email, asking where I could purchase their album. They got back to me, asked me for my address so they could send me a copy of their album, free of charge. I was living in the Netherlands at the time so for them to ship a cd across the world for free, was a pretty great gesture.

3 weeks later, I received a package. In it, were 2 CDs, their debut album as well, a t-shirt, a hat, a key chain, signed photos and a hand-written letter from the lead singer thanking me for the email. I still have that box.
Oh Celia.......I mean man......"you're breaking my heart".

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The Clash is always in rotation. Lately I've been re-visiting The Tubes. Those guys were out of their minds (until the record company started demanding hits and Toto basically wrote and played one of their records as unlisted session guys)

Most people like London Calling the best but I've always preferred their first album whether the American version or the British. My favorite Clash songs are Janie Jones and the two reggae-ish songs off that record--White Man and Police and Thieves and really that's just about the beginnings of punk rocks alliance with the reggae world. The Ruts were another band that incorporated reggae into their music--Love in vain is just beautiful and Jah War. Then there were D.O.A. and also the Bad Brains.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Most people like London Calling the best but I've always preferred their first album whether the American version or the British. My favorite Clash songs are Janie Jones and the two reggae-ish songs off that record--White Man and Police and Thieves and really that's just about the beginnings of punk rocks alliance with the reggae world. The Ruts were another band that incorporated reggae into their music--Love in vain is just beautiful and Jah War. Then there were D.O.A. and also the Bad Brains.

I've always had a soft spot for Sandanista. It's uneven, but what can you expect from a triple LP? Still, lots of cool experimentation. Saw them play with The Who and Santana at Shea stadium when they still packed people into the ballfield. That was a sick show.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I've always had a soft spot for Sandanista. It's uneven, but what can you expect from a triple LP? Still, lots of cool experimentation. Saw them play with The Who and Santana at Shea stadium when they still packed people into the ballfield. That was a sick show.

There were things I liked in Sandinista quite a lot. This is England is another great song. The Pogues used to open their show with Straight to Hell and Strummer filled in for McGowan for a while.

The Ruts:

Reactions: Kaapo di tutti capi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad