OT: Whatcha Listening To?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
My wife accidentally hit the itunes button today and Agent Orange---the orignal of all surf punk bands came on with Bloodstains. I think they're still around and they do a killer version of the Chantay's Pipeline.

D.O.A.--War on 45.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
A nice mix of Frankie, Rod Stewart, some old-school R&B (nothing like Al Green) and classic rock (never get tired of "the smell of wine and cheap perfume").

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
This song and it's facial reactions by Charles Bradley sum up the last two seasons of Rangers hockey for me:

In fact, if you just play the video on a loop, while watching the Avs game, you'll find the expressions are a perfect match.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sarge13

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
80% of the way through George Harrison - The Apple Years.

The set covers his solo work from 1968-1975.

Reminded of just how much I love All Things Must Pass. The word epic doesn't even begin to describe that album.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
80% of the way through George Harrison - The Apple Years.

The set covers his solo work from 1968-1975.

Reminded of just how much I love All Things Must Pass. The word epic doesn't even begin to describe that album.
Harrison was one of those interesting cases where his greatness was actually overshadowed by others. The fact that it was in the Beatles with Paul and John speaks to just how great they are that they manged to do that. The Beatles are the greatest ever for a reason. And George is one of them.

When we was Fab is one of my favorite songs of all time.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Harrison was one of those interesting cases where his greatness was actually overshadowed by others. The fact that it was in the Beatles with Paul and John speaks to just how great they are that they manged to do that. The Beatles are the greatest ever for a reason. And George is one of them.

When we was Fab is one of my favorite songs of all time.

Personally, IMO Harrison's work post-Beatles is the strongest. He somewhat splits the difference between Lennon being really far out there at times, and McCartney focusing on top-40 hits.

But it's also testament to why the Beatles were never built to last --- you have three musical geniuses in there who, at some point, were not going to be able to co-exist. It was inevitable they would have to go separate ways. By the late 60s, the Beatles probably could've put up double and triple albums every 9 months and still not have been able to quell their creative juices.

It's almost like looking at the Oilers in the 1980s and finding a HOF player who was arguably the third or fourth best player on the team during a given year.

Sarge13

May 30, 2018
I'll second that Edge there's no other post Beatles album that I can listen to cover to cover than "All Things Must Pass".

And he was also very underrated guitar player.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
My wife accidentally hit the itunes button today and Agent Orange---the orignal of all surf punk bands came on with Bloodstains. I think they're still around and they do a killer version of the Chantay's Pipeline.

D.O.A.--War on 45.

I love the first album. I have the remastered addition and there's a radio interview with the guys at the end. Apparently they were not happy with the overall results because they recorded it really quickly and some of the performances selected lacked energy or were too slow because it was take 20-something in the middle of the night.

They are still around but I think only one of the original members is left. Been that way since the mid-80s.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Toro Y Moi for all you chill wave/hipsters/RnB fans is putting out a new album on 1/18. He is very proficient.

On one hand I love how he's so old school in that he releases a new album/project/collab every year and change. I also love how every album is very different and he goes for a style or theme.

On the other hand a little of the mystique has been killed. Still much more positives than negatives and he sounds authentic 70s or 80s without trying too hard unlike so many other acts.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I love the first album. I have the remastered addition and there's a radio interview with the guys at the end. Apparently they were not happy with the overall results because they recorded it really quickly and some of the performances selected lacked energy or were too slow because it was take 20-something in the middle of the night.

They are still around but I think only one of the original members is left. Been that way since the mid-80s.

I've got a least a couple of LP's and I think a 45 or two. I also have some compilation CD they made. The original bassist became a hot shot lawyer but died several years ago. The guitarist/singer's brother use to work at a Fender guitar factory so he had been playing guitar really early and he grew up surrounded by surf music. Bloodstains is a great song but I really loved a lot of the instrumentals. Another band that was around the same time that had some similarities (or at least I thought so) was Savage Republic. They did a lot of instrumentals as well and there was a very strong percussive side to them and Middle Eastern or Mediterranean elements. But I have a bunch of music from around LA from back in the late 70's early 80's--Black Flag, Bad Religion, X, Adolescents, Circle Jerks, Angry Samoans, TSOL.

Reactions: Skjeikspeare

Sarge13

May 30, 2018
He's just an excitable boy !

Amazing songwriter, didn't get into his catalogue until after he passed which is a shame, was too soon.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I've got a least a couple of LP's and I think a 45 or two. I also have some compilation CD they made. The original bassist became a hot shot lawyer but died several years ago. The guitarist/singer's brother use to work at a Fender guitar factory so he had been playing guitar really early and he grew up surrounded by surf music. Bloodstains is a great song but I really loved a lot of the instrumentals. Another band that was around the same time that had some similarities (or at least I thought so) was Savage Republic. They did a lot of instrumentals as well and there was a very strong percussive side to them and Middle Eastern or Mediterranean elements. But I have a bunch of music from around LA from back in the late 70's early 80's--Black Flag, Bad Religion, X, Adolescents, Circle Jerks, Angry Samoans, TSOL.

Thanks for Savage Republic. I'll check them out later. I love a lot of those punk bands you mentioned. My one friend I've known since Middle School is really into punk. You hang out with him for an hour and bands like Stiff Little Fingers, Angry Samoans, Government Issue all are name dropped.

Reactions: eco's bones

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Anyone hear a fan of XTC? One of the most underrated and interesting bands of all time. There was this They Might Be Giants song called XTC vs. Adam Ant they used to play in the mid-late 90s that got all my friends curious about them and collecting their CDs so it rubbed off on me. And then I realized it was the same band that Primus covered on their first covers EP.

Sarge13

May 30, 2018
Anyone hear a fan of XTC? One of the most underrated and interesting bands of all time. There was this They Might Be Giants song called XTC vs. Adam Ant they used to play in the mid-late 90s that got all my friends curious about them and collecting their CDs so it rubbed off on me. And then I realized it was the same band that Primus covered on their first covers EP.

I remember their hits from the 80s but I never gave them much of a listen until I saw this documentary which is very well done:

Reactions: Skjeikspeare

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Today was the Rolling Stones Stripped which is pretty good, I've been on an acoustic kick lately, not sure why I even have subwoofers at the current moment, but I know I'll fall back in love with them soon.

Probably see if I can find any Pete Townshend or The Who acoustic stuff next.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I remember their hits from the 80s but I never gave them much of a listen until I saw this documentary which is very well done:

Saw it was on Showtime On Demand so I watched it (immediately after a GG Allin documentary lol) and I enjoyed it, very well done. Partridge is much different than I thought. I heard he was a hermit who didn't like to perform live but he's a really funny guy. I understand the connection now thanks to the movie.

Black Sea is my favorite album by them. You can hear a lot of influence in Red Hot Chili Peppers, Jane's Addiction, Love And Rockets, The Cure, Nirvana in that album. Basically they're like the unknown or underappreciated great uncles of alt rock who don't get enough credit who even influenced their peers.

Skylarking is a great commercial album. Even their Dukes of Stratosphere stuff which is a "side project" is a lot of fun.

A band that could rock as hard as their songwriting skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad