Value of: What would you do with Laine?

What would you do with Laine?

• Total voters

Luc Labelle

Lucius 895 Injuries
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2005
Winnipeg
Pay him $12M/year on the condition the NHL will allow the Jets to play the Blues 20x a year and watch him break Gretzky's points record. Problem solved.
Except it looks like the Blues have finally learned to stop using Allen as a starting goalie. Not sure if Binnington will continue his stellar play long term, but he surely can't be as consistently bad as Jake Allen.

Reactions: 67Blues

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
If he'd accept that i think the Jets would be more than ecstatic inking him to that deal (8.5M x 8). However, I think Laine would be selling himself short if he signs for that.

I actually agree. The caps gone up since the Draisaitl contract. I simply meant to say that’s the floor for Laine.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
You put him in a situation to succeed, for example play him with Scheifele, have him get his confidence back and go from there.

Guy can't go from superstar to bust overnight.

Maybe he's playing injured, who knows.

Looks like it
With the way he's been shooting lately

Went from best shot in the world to missing open nets

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Dude is only 20 years old and going through a slump. The only 'real' options are to make the most of it and sign him to a 8 year deal at around 9M AAV or be conservative with a bridge deal for 2-3 years at around 6M AAV. If I were a Jets fan I would probably prefer to see Laine locked up for 8 years.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I dont know about trading him

But he needs to pick it up
Jets remain an elite team, but having him slump like this does put a dent in their chances

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Dude is only 20 years old and going through a slump. The only 'real' options are to make the most of it and sign him to a 8 year deal at around 9M AAV or be conservative with a bridge deal for 2-3 years at around 6M AAV. If I were a Jets fan I would probably prefer to see Laine locked up for 8 years.

I highly doubt they can lock him into an 8 year deal under 10m.
His agent should strangle him if he wanted to do that.

He's also not going to make less than 7m on a 2 year deal.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
A medium bridge deal, say 4-5 x 6.5M (less than that, he would probably reject despite the circumstances), to see if he can figure it out in the offseason. If he sucks next season, try to trade him for as good value as possible for a nice two-way, a playoff-experienced ~30 yo forward + picks (since the Jets already have enough scoring without Laine).

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I highly doubt they can lock him into an 8 year deal under 10m.
His agent should strangle him if he wanted to do that.

He's also not going to make less than 7m on a 2 year deal.

I actually disagree about that. I know he is a premier goal scorer but he has not scored PPG in any of his seasons. People went ape-shit that Nylander is making too much money at 7M AAV because he slumped. Laine is better than Nylander but I would argue that he is more than 2M AAV better.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
People arent acknowledging that's hes slumping hard going into contract negotiations

Nylander started slumping AFTER

Last edited:
Reactions: TML1990

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Bridge deal. 2 or 3 years. And honestly, I fully expect that we would regret not going 8 years at high dollar by the end of it.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
Trade now and we have more cash to keep our other good players, or Keep and lose a lot of really good young players and become just another team with a high ceiling player and lose a lot of games.

Reactions: purdy44

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
> lowball him on a long-term deal, for the season he is having eats away at his leverage
> if that does not work, bridge for 2-3 years at around 5
> if he accepts none of the above, have fun sitting
> only trade him for a package that includes superstar potential in the form of a young first liner/top 2 D. Every other offer can f*** off.

Reactions: Flair Hay

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
A medium bridge deal, say 4-5 x 6.5M (less than that, he would probably reject despite the circumstances), to see if he can figure it out in the offseason. If he sucks next season, try to trade him for as good value as possible for a nice two-way, a playoff-experienced ~30 yo forward + picks (since the Jets already have enough scoring without Laine).
You don't understand what a bridge deal means.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
You don't understand what a bridge deal means.
:huh:
A bridge deal is a team’s way of saying to a young player: “So you had some success on your rookie contract. We’ll give you a short contract to see if you can sustain it.” It’s a gamble for the team. If the player maintains or elevates his performance on the bridge deal, he has leverage for the next round of negotiations. But if he doesn’t live up to the potential, the team has the leverage.
A bridge deal is a way for the team to show that they believe in the player enough to give him a multi-year contract but not enough to go long-term. Traditionally, it was the contract between a player’s Entry Level Contract (ELC) and a long-term deal, figuratively “bridging” the gap between the two.
Fits the bill exactly. Laine had initial success and now sucks, so the safe bet is to give him a short deal instead of 8 years. If he passes the Performance Improvement Plan, he'll get a proper deal. If not, he's fired = traded.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Bridge deal. 2 or 3 years. And honestly, I fully expect that we would regret not going 8 years at high dollar by the end of it.
I'm fine with regretting a bridge when he's so far from his potential. The Jets don't need to sneak in a small discount long-term by overpaying him now based on how he might turn out. That's how you get awful contracts that handcuff a team.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017

Fits the bill exactly. Laine had initial success and now sucks, so the safe bet is to give him a short deal instead of 8 years. If he passes the Performance Improvement Plan, he'll get a proper deal. If not, he's fired = traded.
A bridge deal does not take a player to UFA status, which is what your proposal does.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Jets fans, what do you want to do with Laine? Personally I think he's too much in his own head and I'd be trying to bridge him to see if he can re-spark that magic from his first two year.

Disclaimer - the Jets are my second favourite team so don't flame me for trying to start drama, this is a genuine question.

What is wrong with you. 35 44 40pace goals and their is something wrong with him
Wtf people

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne

I think that poster's point is that a bridge deal is supposed to end with a player still under club control (i.e. RFA).

At the end of a 4 year extension Laine would have 7 years service time and would be a UFA.

So by definition a 4 or 5 year extension is not a bridge deal.

Reactions: torniojaws

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Alright, i was only asking if his slump continued and the Jets were leaning toward a bridge....would put them in a spot they may not want to be in.
No one has any idea where the Jets are leaning. there's 0 substantial rumblings of any of the parameters of Laine's next contract.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
What is wrong with you. 35 44 40pace goals and their is something wrong with him
Wtf people
he's excellent at scoring goals but his overall game 200 foot game is lacking.

The guy is on pace for 53 points right now. he's on pace for a rick nash circa 2003 stat line on a team thats 10x more talented. Laine should be a 45-50 goal/ppg+ player

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
I think that poster's point is that a bridge deal is supposed to end with a player still under club control (i.e. RFA).

At the end of a 4 year extension Laine would have 7 years service time and would be a UFA.

So by definition a 4 or 5 year extension is not a bridge deal.
Exactly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad