Value of: What would you do with Laine?

What would you do with Laine?

• Total voters

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Laine will be just fine. Jets are in a very lucky position that he is off during his ELC year. He's putting up less Pt/GP than Nylander's 2nd and 3rd year yet has such a high ceiling. Compare that to what Toronto is facing with two guys tied for 12th in the league in Pt/GP in their ELC year. If I was the Peg I'd try to lock him in for 8 yrs if this year's production gets them a good discount.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I know being big + young + hyped top pick + goal scorer is the perfect storm for HF overrating, but have some sense here. He isn't physical, his draft status means nothing on the ice, development is not linear, and goals are only one facet of the game - and the story of his goal-scoring looks an awful lot like a guy who folks have simply adjusted to - first at even strength, then on the PP as well - rather than some dominant superstar. He is so much more Ryan/Nash/Vanek than Ovechkin.

If Winnipeg actually wants a Cup, and $9M+ is the price for Laine, then go after Duchene or Stone and wait Laine out until he accepts a bridge deal. He's not a game-breaker, He doesn't carry a line, and there is no guarantee he ever becomes that person.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I know being big + young + hyped top pick + goal scorer is the perfect storm for HF overrating, but have some sense here. He isn't physical, his draft status means nothing on the ice, development is not linear, and goals are only one facet of the game - and the story of his goal-scoring looks an awful lot like a guy who folks have simply adjusted to - first at even strength, then on the PP as well - rather than some dominant superstar. He is so much more Ryan/Nash/Vanek than Ovechkin.

If Winnipeg actually wants a Cup, and $9M+ is the price for Laine, then go after Duchene or Stone and wait Laine out until he accepts a bridge deal. He's not a game-breaker, He doesn't carry a line, and there is no guarantee he ever becomes that person.
he is the 4th youngest player to score a 100 goals in the over 100 year history of the NHL lol , the what have you done lately crowd is funny Nate Mackinnon was so over hyped from 14/15 thru 16/17 season oh wait they were right

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
he is the 4th youngest player to score a 100 goals in the over 100 year history of the NHL lol , the what have you done lately crowd is funny Nate Mackinnon was so over hyped from 14/15 thru 16/17 season oh wait they were right

Literally the only response I ever see from anyone defending Laine is "but goals."

Yes, his goal scoring is very impressive. T-2nd in goals over the past 3 years. He's also T-132nd in OT goals over that time (1), T-16th in GWG, T-158 in assists, T-41 in points, T-175th in primary assists over that time (just 33!). He doesn't PK, doesn't play a two-way game, doesn't take faceoffs, is a pedestrian hitter, isn't a game breaker, isn't an elite skater, and most of this stuff matches the eye test.

He came into the NHL and his shot tore up the NHL at even strength. Very impressive. The next year, his goal total increased slightly, but his even strength goals dropped while his PPG skyrocketed. Now, his even strength goals are dropping further but his powerplay goals are now as well.

He's scored in just 15/54 games this season.

He's scored 18/25 of his goals against just 4 teams.

I'm not a "what have you done for me lately" person when it comes to Laine (or anyone else for that matter). I felt the same about him in the prior two years as I do know. The only reason why I'm voicing my opinion now is because his contract is up and never at any point has he made me think he deserved to be a top paid player in the NHL.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Literally the only response I ever see from anyone defending Laine is "but goals."

Yes, his goal scoring is very impressive. T-2nd in goals over the past 3 years. He's also T-132nd in OT goals over that time (1), T-16th in GWG, T-158 in assists, T-41 in points, T-175th in primary assists over that time (just 33!). He doesn't PK, doesn't play a two-way game, doesn't take faceoffs, is a pedestrian hitter, isn't a game breaker, isn't an elite skater, and most of this stuff matches the eye test.

He came into the NHL and his shot tore up the NHL at even strength. Very impressive. The next year, his goal total increased slightly, but his even strength goals dropped while his PPG skyrocketed. Now, his even strength goals are dropping further but his powerplay goals are now as well.

I'm not a "what have you done for me lately" person when it comes to Laine (or anyone else for that matter). I felt the same about him in the prior two years as I do know. The only reason why I'm voicing my opinion now is because his contract is up and never at any point has he made me think he deserved to be a top paid player in the NHL.

Very nice, well-researched post.

I will be honest, I was completely blown away by Laine in his rookie year, watching his awesome shot. His release is/was nothing short of elite and he is/was poised to take over for Ovechkin as the premier goal scorer on the planet.

That said, when I watched him last year in the playoffs, I was very concerned by what I saw. He looked like a player who was strictly content with relying on his shot, even though the results weren't there. Outside of firing bombs, his compete level was not there. He rarely hustled, and even more concerning, he would lose practically all of his one-on-one battles, and in most cases to smaller opponents. He was just being out-hustled. At times in the Conference Finals he looked flat-out disinterested.

This season has been a wacky one for Laine and it sticks out to me even more because it is on the heels of a disappointing playoffs. I don't know how a player as talented as Laine can go game after game with zero points and only muster 11 assists in 58 games - that's absolutely horrific for a high-end player.

Laine has the size, hands, and obviously the shot, but he often floats and just sleepwalks through games as if he's hoping to get a couple of chances to light the lamp with his shot. This is all very concerning if we're being totally honest, and I'm a Laine fan.

I'm hoping that we're not looking at another Thomas Vanek - a player who burst out of the gate scoring oodles of goals, then rounding into a very nice (but never elite) player because he was content with his contact and niche as a "goal scorer." Granted, Laine and Vanek get their goals in different fashion, but truly elite players find ways to impact a game when they are not scoring goals - Laine does not.

Each game I think to myself, "THIS is the game Laine breaks out, scores 4 and the floodgates open" and it doesn't happen.

As great as a "team" that the Jets are, you wonder if they were to trade Laine for a monster package, if they could win a Cup or two over the next 4 years. I'm talking Laine for a couple of steady, impact pieces, like when the Flyers traded a superstar in Recchi to Montreal for LeClair and Desjardins.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Laine might be odd, but he is an incredible scorer. Slumps happen, but his a truly special player. I read an interesting trade proposal on the AVs Board, doubt it’ll happen

Laine

For

Sens 2019-1st

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
What about somthing around drai for laine

Edmonton gets a top line winger for mcdavid....he's got a history with pulj which might help him turn things around
Rnh slides in to 2nd line c

Winnipeg builds down the middle scheif, drai, little , Lowry

Peg has a lot of d too which could expand the deal

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
If making “it work” means Trouba playing outside WPG in his prime...

Those two things are not mutually exclusive. I dont want to lose Trouba either, and would be willing to pay the piper to keep him too.

Laine will end up on a bridge deal or a steal of a long term contract. Just my opinion.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
What about somthing around drai for laine

Edmonton gets a top line winger for mcdavid....he's got a history with pulj which might help him turn things around
Rnh slides in to 2nd line c

Winnipeg builds down the middle scheif, drai, little , Lowry

Peg has a lot of d too which could expand the deal

This deal looks good on paper - or in a fantasy hockey vacuum - but as a hockey trade it is awful for the Oilers. Draisaitl has consistently flirted with PPG status and is on pace this year to be an 85-90 point threat. He is also a centerman by trade and plays a far more complete game than Laine. You might say Laine is the better goal scorer right? But this year Laine has 25 goals compared to Draisaitl's 34 in 58 games. So it's not like Draisaitl isn't capable of scoring 40-45 goals when Laine is scoring 55. Add to that everthing else Draisaitl does better, and that he's locked in to a long-term deal, earning less money than Laine will on his next deal... probably by A LOT.

Last edited:

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I would seriously have him work with a skating instructor and get his ability level up to at least NHL average

I don't even see his "skating" as his fatal flaw. Laine is a clumsy-looking skater at times, but he has long strides and is deceptively a better skater than he first appears to be (think young Mario Lemieux). Laine's problem is his intensity level - it's between the ears. It's almost like he has TOO MUCH confidence and bravado in his own shot so he feels like he can sleepwalk through a game - then BOOM, BOOM, blow it open with two goals thanks to his shot, then take a shower before bed. Night at the office - two goals, mission accomplished.

That is why Maurice has yo-yo'd him up and down the lineup and tends to not play him at certain times - I'm sure the lack of intensity and urgency drives him crazy. There's no doubt that Laine has some "Thomas Vanek" in him, both the good Vanek and bad Vanek. Now it's up to Laine if he wants to mold himself into a one-dimensional shooter or a legit high-end NHL "player."

I'll say this - for as much slack as Ovie took during his career as a one-dimensional scorer, at least he was absolutely ELITE and CONSISTENT in that dimension. If Laine is going to be a one-trick-pony, he needs to deliver consistently on that trick. 25 goals and 11 assists is not going to cut it if you want to be paid 10+ mil a pop.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Well, it took 8 years of being back to the NHL before some Peg fans hit gross imbecility. Not bad.

Ahem. The 20-21 year old who scored 36 , 44 and on pace to hit over 30 this year ? Hope he retires a Jet. Use the dip and sign him for 8.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016

How many players peek when they are 18/19? Has there ever been a single one? The guy is T-41 in points the past 3 years, and he is only 20, that's pretty incredible.

Not a game-breaker? I don't know what that means. Agreed tho, he doesn't hit or take face-offs or have a great 2-way game or PK.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Just trade him to the Sens for Stone. Adds on either side as necessary. Put that money set aside for Laine into a new long-term Stone contract. Jets will get a better player, Sens will still feel like they hit a "home run" getting an elite young star for their impending UFA.

ManWithNoName

Unregistered User
Jul 9, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
I do believe he needs to play on the first line, with a McDavid/Matthews type of player to really succeed. He’d hit 60 goals per season with either one of them.

Little might be the best 2C in the world (according to some Jets fans) but he is not compatible with Laine.

Both the Jets and Laine would benefit from a trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->