What would you do with Laine?

• Total voters

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
What was the offer??

1st, Petan and Stanley for Duchene. Ottawa is doing them, dont get me wrong. But the Jets wont be happy Stanley knows they are trying to trade him if they dont end up moving him. They always play their cards extremely tight to their chest.

All speculation, of course. But came from what I've seen called a reliable source

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
1st, Petan and Stanley for Duchene. Ottawa is doing them, dont get me wrong. But the Jets wont be happy Stanley knows they are trying to trade him if they dont end up moving him. They always play their cards extremely tight to their chest.

All speculation, of course. But came from what I've seen called a reliable source

Interesting.. what's your opinion on Logan Stanley? I'm sure the 1st would be conditional if you win the cup it becomes a 2020 unprotected. Otherwise that's not enough.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
The 2 year bridge number I estimate would be $5.5, 3 year bridge $6.0

Kucherov is the only somewhat close comparable and he was 4.5 x 3. But that was in Tampa and he was 2 years older I think too? 5.5 would be the highest bridge deal ever I'm pretty sure.

He will either be on a bridge, or a reasonable long term deal. And if he holds out to get it, then he will probably end up with a little more on a bridge than he would have if he didnt hold out.

Its an easy script to follow when the GM knows what they are doing. No player wants to lose a whole year of earnings to come back to the same dispute the next year. That's why no one has done it in a long time.

Players coming off ELC are not UFA contracts. I'm expecting Laine somewhere around the 8-9 range on a 7 or 8 year. 7 million on a 5 year.

I’ll bank on 9 on a 5 year deal

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Laine was a stud for 2 years and 2 months, but a couple horrendous months have everyone asking questions. Here in STL, we'd love to have a "problem" like him.

Reactions: BA Carroll

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Interesting.. what's your opinion on Logan Stanley? I'm sure the 1st would be conditional if you win the cup it becomes a 2020 unprotected. Otherwise that's not enough.

Lots of Jets fans dont like him because hes not the new prototypical smooth skating puck mover. But he does have potential to be a really effective guy in he continues to get better. Hes huge mean and has a big clapper. Unfortunately for now thats all he could do at the NHL level. Still a couple years away. Jets knew that when they drafted him though.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
2 years, $5M per.

Long term they might get him 8x8 if they signed him after this year and he doesn't pick it up. They can use Wheeler as a comparable and tell him he's not worth more. He or they won't take that risk tho with a long term if he's still slumping.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
2 years, $5M per.

Long term they might get him 8x8 if they signed him after this year and he doesn't pick it up. They can use Wheeler as a comparable and tell him he's not worth more. He or they won't take that risk tho with a long term if he's still slumping.

8 for 8 may happen, 2 for 5 has zero chance of happening

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
He is just 20 years old...he has already show tremendous proclivity in the goal scoring department....you do nothing with him.......you keep him and he will eventually get out of this slump....

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Came in to see if the poll is ”marry him”, ”f him”, or ”kill him”. It wasnt

Of these options, you dont trade him. He gets over the hump and you look like an idiot, and propably lose your job.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
The Jets will be patient with Laine. The challenge will be if he continues to run hot and cold yet asks for a Matthews-like contract. The Jets could be a better "team" if they were to explore making a blockbuster hockey trade around Laine. Last year was a year the Jets could have went to the Cup and Laine looked absolutely horrific in the playoffs, especially late. This season, outside of a red hot streak, he's been sub par. Not really sure what his problem is.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Bridge him.

Two purposes would be served:

1) Laine comes back hungrier and more motivated in the following years.

2) Jets keep their cap low for a few short years and greatly increase their chances of winning a cup.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Mustering consistent intensity seems to be the real problem for Laine.

I think there is some real traction to him not being able to put down the video games. Playing 3-4 hrs here and there? Everybody does. Playing 2-3 hours on game day? Could be affecting how sharp he is mentally.

I realize the irony of explaining this to a Vancouver fan. He deserves every pot shot he takes. Hes not so smug lately.

Reactions: Mbraunm

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
Sign him for as long as he is willing to sign for, with a fair cap hit.
This guy has wayyyy too much talent to slump for much longer.
Once this ends he'll go back to being one of the best goal scorers in the league.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Sign him for as long as he is willing to sign for, with a fair cap hit.
This guy has wayyyy too much talent to slump for much longer.
Once this ends he'll go back to being one of the best goal scorers in the league.
There is no fair long-term deal to be made, I'm afraid.

The year he has had has completely ruined the prospect of a 10m+ contract - full stop. The majority of this season has been Laine providing nothing to the table. Those kinds of problems are straight up unacceptable from anyone who makes 10 million a year. On the other hand, 100+ goals. Kinda hard to argue that one.

Unless Laine and his agent can be taken to the cleaners in negotiations, a bridge deal is highly likely.

Reactions: Flair Hay

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Offer him $9.5 million a year for 5 years.
Hopefully he takes it before someone offers him $10.1 million a year for 5 years on an offer sheet.

Jake Barnes

Apr 25, 2018
Winnipeg
Voted bridge. 6.5 x 2 (maybe 7x2 to adjust for cap inflation)--he doesn't have much of a leg to stand on if he's gonna try to argue he's worth more than Scheifele.

10 million dollar players should be able to take over a game. Laine hasn't shown that at all in his 3 years in the league. Make no mistake, I love the kid and I'm rooting for him. But, outside of shooting, he's been pretty underwhelming overall. Loses the puck super easy, can't get it out of his zone (cf. weak backhand flip attempts), and often looks like he's floating or skating in quicksand. He can be an amazing passer, but he can't seem to keep possession of the puck long enough to make a play. I expect all of these things to improve as he ages and gets his man strength and grows into his body, but I want to see that before we commit big money and term to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad