What would you consider the Leafs to be in their current state?

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
...again, I think people are underestimating what a dogfight the Atlantic is going to be this year...Toronto could win the Division or they could be on the outside looking in, that's how much of a shyteshow I believe the Division will be...Florida was good and could even be better (depending on Bob/Knight)...Tampa lost a ton of depth but are still a powerhouse on offense, have a great D core, and have Vasy...Boston is a wildcard depending on what they do to replace Krejci and how Ullmark plays...Ottawa is a tough team to play against and can easily play spoiler if their kids progress and they get some good goaltending...Montreal is apparently going young and could take a step forward or backwards easily (depending on the D situation and the progress of Suzuki/Kotkaniemi)...Hell even Detroit got better and could ruin a few projections in the Division...only Buffalo is going to be Target Practice but an ill-timed slip from anyone could give them a few W's...this is going to be the toughest Division in the NHL and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Toronto at the top of it or at the 5-spot praying for a WC, much the same as with the Habs, Bruins, Bolts, or Panthers...or even the Sens, if they hit a hot streak at the right time...it's going to be a WAR and it will be GLORIOUS to behold!!...:laugh:

GladiatorMan.gif

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
A playoff team. You could argue they are built the wrong way for success in the playoffs. However missing the playoffs or being on the cusp of would be more of a disappointment than an expectation. Also not true playoff contenders

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
A decent team that can make the playoffs. Need to prove a bit before we talk top contender status.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
And how is that wrong?

If they win the Cup one day, they would have won 4 series in a row, n'est-ce pas?

And to win 4 series in a row, they would need to win the first one.

It's not nuclear science... :banghead:

It is to Leafs fans.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
IDK - you have to consider them a contender because it wouldn't surprise anyone (except for maybe their own fanbase) if they went on a run.

They're a flawed contender, and probably a tier below the "top" contenders, however you define them. But they're still a contender.

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
They were hailed cup contenders once Tavares was signed. The amount of talent and youth on the roster somehow could be a justification for that title.

Fast forward 3 years later, would you still consider them a title favourite?

A playoff contender?

A playoff team?

A fringe playoff team?

What would you call them?
I’d avoid all your f***ing arbitrary titles and call them the Toronto maple leafs, aka team Voldemort.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
If they got some "sandpaper around the edges" to make up for the loss of Foligno and Hyman (and Bogosian) that doesn't suddenly make them contenders. All that does is get them back to the team they were last year which clearly wasn't good enough.

I never suggested replacing that sandpaper was enough on its own to vault them to perennial contendership.

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
...again, I think people are underestimating what a dogfight the Atlantic is going to be this year...Toronto could win the Division or they could be on the outside looking in, that's how much of a shyteshow I believe the Division will be...Florida was good and could even be better (depending on Bob/Knight)...Tampa lost a ton of depth but are still a powerhouse on offense, have a great D core, and have Vasy...Boston is a wildcard depending on what they do to replace Krejci and how Ullmark plays...Ottawa is a tough team to play against and can easily play spoiler if their kids progress and they get some good goaltending...Montreal is apparently going young and could take a step forward or backwards easily (depending on the D situation and the progress of Suzuki/Kotkaniemi)...Hell even Detroit got better and could ruin a few projections in the Division...only Buffalo is going to be Target Practice but an ill-timed slip from anyone could give them a few W's...this is going to be the toughest Division in the NHL and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Toronto at the top of it or at the 5-spot praying for a WC, much the same as with the Habs, Bruins, Bolts, or Panthers...or even the Sens, if they hit a hot streak at the right time...it's going to be a WAR and it will be GLORIOUS to behold!!...:laugh:

View attachment 458745
I agree with this wholeheartedly

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006

View attachment 458745

All the more reason to believe that the Leafs simply won't succeed...if you ask me. Past practice has it that the more stressful, the more competitive the "shyteshow" is, the more likely the Leafs respond by failing to thrive.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Treading water.

We're stuck with a GM who is completely supported by both major sports media stations. They also happen to own 80% of the team. In any other market, the 3-1 loss to the Habs = instant firing. Here the media shills spend 24/7 apologizing for him.

Reactions: JAK

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
They were hailed cup contenders once Tavares was signed. The amount of talent and youth on the roster somehow could be a justification for that title.

A playoff contender?

A playoff team?

A fringe playoff team?

What would I call them?

Dreaming in technicolour if they think they've got a shot at the cup

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021

A playoff contender?

A playoff team?

A fringe playoff team?

I would never call them a favorite when their GM is getting desperate for Josh Ho-sang and Nick Ritchie lol

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
And how is that wrong?

If they win the Cup one day, they would have won 4 series in a row, n'est-ce pas?

And to win 4 series in a row, they would need to win the first one.

It's not nuclear science... :banghead:
All you have to do is win your last game.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
If he got the same powerplay opportunities as the other stars around the league get, and if he gets more ice time and produces the exact same G/60 in that increased ice time, he should easily top 30 goals, maybe even 40 goals. ;)
Call it the "if line"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad