What would you consider the Leafs to be in their current state?

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
They were hailed cup contenders once Tavares was signed. The amount of talent and youth on the roster somehow could be a justification for that title.

Fast forward 3 years later, would you still consider them a title favourite?

A playoff contender?

A playoff team?

A fringe playoff team?

What would you call them?

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I like the moves the Leafs have made and they are a playoff team. Not quite Tampa, Boston or Florida level but expect them to edge out Montreal.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I feel like they're running on a treadmill but moving from side to side to see if it makes them any faster

They need some better ideas than what I've seen.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I have them in the top 10 in the NHL but it will be hard to get past Boston, TB, and/or Florida in their division. I think they can get out of the division with luck and injuries, but overall I don't think they have the depth. Of course, depending on the trade deadline and injuries to other teams they could win the Cup, but I would put them in the second tier of good teams behind TB, Boston, NYI, Colorado, Carolina, and Vegas.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
They were hailed cup contenders once Tavares was signed. The amount of talent and youth on the roster somehow could be a justification for that title.

Fast forward 3 years later, would you still consider them a title favourite?

A playoff contender?

A playoff team?

A fringe playoff team?

What would you call them?

As a Leaf fan, I'd probably go with fringe playoff team.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I'm pretty sure they are a playoff team. My only concern is their goaltending. The question about Campbell being a starter or even Tandem Goalie is still there. Playoffs included he's played 93 nhl games total.

He might be (and looked good last year) but if he turns back into a pumpkin (good backup) then they may miss because the Metro and Atlantic are both pretty strong.

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
Playoff team on the verge of becoming a contender. Hate on them all you want but they lost their captain in round 1 and were up 3-1 on the eventual Stanley Cup finalists.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Playoff team who has too much money tied up into the top players, and not much money left for the rest of the roster. They make the playoffs this coming season, but likely don’t go very far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad