What would you consider the Leafs to be in their current state?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
And how is that wrong?

If they win the Cup one day, they would have won 4 series in a row, n'est-ce pas?

And to win 4 series in a row, they would need to win the first one.

It's not nuclear science... :banghead:
In Toronto you would think it is.
54 years and counting ......
The last third of that without winning a round !???
Hell even the Ballard teams won a round or two.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Treading water.

We're stuck with a GM who is completely supported by both major sports media stations. They also happen to own 80% of the team. In any other market, the 3-1 loss to the Habs = instant firing. Here the media shills spend 24/7 apologizing for him.
Not true at all.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Leafs fans : IF we didn't lose games in the playoffs, we would win the cup!! It's the other teams fault for winning the game. They are suppose to lose to us!
Great to have geniuses like this on here for entertainment, spinning their brain all day for what post they should make about the Leafs next.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Great to have geniuses like this on here for entertainment, spinning their brain all day for what post they should make about the Leafs next.

I have to give back to the Leafs fans, as their team has provided the rest of the league with endless entertainment by exiting the first round consistently

Reactions: Sens With Benefits

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
I'd say they're in a state of inevitability. They'll win a playoff series or two but this core is not set up under the current cap to win a cup because of how bad the depth options are with the cap structure. They have a 3 year window in which they'll be good but not good enough to win until Matthews inevitably walks unless they manage to somehow offer him more than any other team. I anticipate he probably just wants to chase money in whichever big US market, he has a bit of a playboy personality imo and would probably wanna go to NY or something.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Now :

A team that fights from the play-offs next season.
a wild card team or just misses the play-offs.

Leafs goaltending is better what last season, so that's a +

That Leafs d looks still the same what last season, didn't look good last season, does not look good now, a -

Leafs F has more bottom 6 depth now i guess, but still there is no leadership and there's still huge issues
(and if one or two key players gets injured...the cap issue)

Leafs still have 2 x 1C's (Matthews, Tavares) 2 x 1RW's (Marner, Nylander)
2C, 1LW, 2LW & 2RW are still missing.

Its still a mess, a mess with slightly improved goaltending.

In to be : Who knows who'll leave in the future, if there's still no success.
Who will be their GM and HC

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
No doubt they are playoff team but I see them as #3/WC team and bubble legit contender

Can they go on run? Sure they have talent and we saw what Habs and Stars have done recently but I just cant put them up there with TB or a team like Isles who have come so close in recent years as well as Canes who have had far more playoff success then Leafs in recent years and I would go with Pittsburgh or Caps if they clash simply on experience and performance in recent history from those cores

To me Leafs are like Panthers in which roster has potential but until they breakthru with playoff success they will be team that I cant legit say is a contender

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
I have to give back to the Leafs fans, as their team has provided the rest of the league with endless entertainment by exiting the first round consistently
My favourite part of the year. Glad my team was able to host the festivity this year

Reactions: JAK

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
You don’t think Ritchie is good enough to play in the NHL?

Ho-Sang isn’t even going to be on the team but the Leafs are desperate for him. Cool.
Knowing the leafs he'll make their roster and becomes a whipping boy on such roster because they see how poor his defense is.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
When was the last time Leafs made it to the second round though?

It ended with "The Blackhawk Down Line" (Zhamnov-Roenick-Amonte) on ice and JR scoring against ex-Hawk teammate Ed Belfour

Look at those former Hawk names ,, Man it seems like so long ago

I was so happy as Hawks fan watching Flyers run that year and hoped they would win cup

Hell Joni Pitkanen was highly touted 20 yr old rookie assisting on goal at time and its been like a decade or close to it since Pitkanen suffered his career ending injury

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
They're clearly a playoff team on paper and anyone suggesting otherwise is clearly bias. There is a reason they're the fifth favorite to win the cup in Vegas right now and that's because the people making those lines are above petty bullshit for the most part. I do think they're cup contender if their guys can learn how to compete the same way in the playoffs as they do in the regular season. Their team lacks depth at forward and goaltending is a ? but their top 6 is as good as anyone's almost and defence is also very strong now.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
They're clearly a playoff team on paper and anyone suggesting otherwise is clearly bias. There is a reason they're the fifth favorite to win the cup in Vegas right now and that's because the people making those lines are above petty bullshit for the most part. I do think they're cup contender if their guys can learn how to compete the same way in the playoffs as they do in the regular season. Their team lacks depth at forward and goaltending is a ? but their top 6 is as good as anyone's almost and defence is also very strong now.
I don't think they lack forward depth. Their stars just don't show up when it counts. If they did, then it would be a whole different story.

I thought that the Leafs (outside of their 2 stars) played relatively well outside of game 7. If Matthews/Marner could score just ONE goal, they would have closed it out in either game 5/6.

That's how close they were.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Leafs fans : IF we didn't lose games in the playoffs, we would win the cup!! It's the other teams fault for winning the game. They are suppose to lose to us!
Priceless

And I like this one from a leaf fan ......if you don't count the Blues Cup run (win) Then St Louis has not won that many play off series in the last decade .
Leaf fan logic . Gotta love it

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Incredibly difficult team to beat and threat to the Cup if they can get out of the first round. Same thing I've said for years and so far they've sucked those eggs that are placed in the earth for "hundreds of years" every playoffs.

These eggs: Century egg - Wikipedia

Don't insult these delicious foods. Add some sesame oil and brown sugar, they are delicious.

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013
One of 16 teams that make the playoffs, and one of 8 teams that loses in the first round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad