What would you consider the Leafs to be in their current state?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
They are the same as where they were last year. A team that should make the playoffs comfortably, and a couple significant peices away from serious perennial cup contention.

They could also use some sandpaper around the edges with the loss of hyman and foligno.

If they got some "sandpaper around the edges" to make up for the loss of Foligno and Hyman (and Bogosian) that doesn't suddenly make them contenders. All that does is get them back to the team they were last year which clearly wasn't good enough.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
They were hailed cup contenders once Tavares was signed. The amount of talent and youth on the roster somehow could be a justification for that title.

Fast forward 3 years later, would you still consider them a title favourite?

A playoff contender?

A playoff team?

A fringe playoff team?

What would you call them?
A very good regular season team But not made for the playoffs so a fringe playoff team.

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
They're definitely a playoff team. I'd say the Leafs are a second class contender. As of now they're a top 10 team with some serious choking tendency that they need to address

They would need a significant acquisition to be a clear cut contender IMO. With the offseason they had, they look like a >100 points team that get play one round of PO, maybe two

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i don't know about the leafs themselves, but i consider their fans to be annoying as hell. if every fan base posted like they do on the main boards, the site would crash.

nobody cares about the leafs. they are irrelevant at best, and a punchline at worst.

Reactions: JAK

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
this year is really interesting.

With Hyman gone, and the cap still pushing on them, it feels like this is an in-between year as they wait for the cap to grow a little.

At the same time, this finally feels like do or die. Dubas' comments and simple realities dictate that if they fail again, that's it for this core, a deeper change happens. Plus, Reilly isn't signed yet.

I don't think there is something about them that makes them fail in the playoffs. This was the first year that they failed in the playoffs and weren't the underdogs. They were beat by a team that went on to make the Golden Knights look terrible. I also know that people hate the injury excuse. However, they lost Tavares early, and if that wasn't enough they lost Muzzin. Major injuries are always a big factor in success. The top teams are often lucky in injuries. The underperforming ones often have a a few major ones. It's just a fact of hockey.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
They are an experiment by a new GM.
There hasn’t yet been a successful team in the cap era with such a large percentage of the cap tied up in four forwards. I mean it could potentially work if two of those four forwards were of the generational quality like Crosby and Malkin but it seems unlikely to work with lesser players.
At some point I think one of the four will inevitably be traded.

Reactions: PaulD

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
They are an experiment by a new GM.
There hasn’t yet been a successful team in the cap era with such a large percentage of the cap tied up in four forwards. I mean it could potentially work if two of those four forwards were of the generational quality like Crosby and Malkin but it seems unlikely to work with lesser players.
At some point I think one of the four will inevitably be traded.

The bolded is exactly the issue. If a team is going to be top heavy and expect to win the Cup, then those players who are taking up that much cap space/money have to produce tremendously well, not just "solid". So far, the Leafs have only gotten "solid" (at best) out of their high priced talent.

"Solid" is fine if you've got depth to pick up the slack, like the Pens in 2016 when Crosby and Malkin only produced solid totals (for their standards) but the HBK line helped pick up the offensive slack. But when you rely on your top guys for the bulk of the offense (like the Pens did in 2009 and 2017) then your stars have to be outstanding.

Reactions: PaulD and leafsfan5

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Bubble team .... like they were season the covid hit .

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
If they could get rid of that trash Tavares contract

they could be soo good and so much more balanced.
Or trading Marner for a good dman and cap space would help them big time.........so I'm glad that ain't gonna happen.
As I like the leafs right where they are... going nowhere

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He scored 10 goals. He wasn’t on the verge.

he also shot at 25%. That’s not sustainable.

If he got the same powerplay opportunities as the other stars around the league get, and if he gets more ice time and produces the exact same G/60 in that increased ice time, he should easily top 30 goals, maybe even 40 goals. ;)

Reactions: Varan

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Very talented playoff team that hasn't proven it's built for more the next step.

Mar 20, 2010
A very generous team that continues to let other teams borrow a big Cup that should really be the property of the TML.

Reactions: Michel Beauchamp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad