What would it take for you to move McDavid?

Lrrr

Omicron Persei 8
Apr 7, 2010
Edmonton
We all now know he can't take over a game when it matters so you gotta get rid of him for whatever package you can find.

kidding...obviously.

PersuasiveSteve

Hey Connor!
Mar 4, 2014
I wouldn't trade him. As far as I'm concerned he is priceless. Maybe its rampant speculation but he is to me, the franchise player that makes a team a contender and he brings enough hype to revitalize a worn and weary fan base.

If Connor McDavid scored 50 goals or 100 points next year and the Oilers still didn't make the playoffs, I would have a much easier time accepting our future at the end of that season and would not be feeling like there was no hope like I did at the end of this season. I think no matter the outcome he is the answer for the fanbase and hopefully he can be the answer for the team.

Shane Goudie

Jul 8, 2009
The comparable deal would be the Lindros trade. Let's just pick a random team that might be looking to change things up a bit. Let's say Toronto. We'll start with three consecutive first rounders. Add in Bernier, Phaneuf with 1 million per season of contract eatten, and Kessel with another million eatten off the contract. Edmonton can send back Marincin in the deal also. Nikitin might need to be tucked in there for cap reasons.

No, I wouldn't do that deal or trade the pick. Just wanted to play the game lol. That might be what it would take though.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
The comparable deal would be the Lindros trade. Let's just pick a random team that might be looking to change things up a bit. Let's say Toronto. We'll start with three consecutive first rounders. Add in Bernier, Phaneuf with 1 million per season of contract eatten, and Kessel with another million eatten off the contract. Edmonton can send back Marincin in the deal also. Nikitin might need to be tucked in there for cap reasons.

No, I wouldn't do that deal or trade the pick. Just wanted to play the game lol. That might be what it would take though.

That would be a deal that was forced too. I think if the Oilers were to auction off McDavid they could get something even better. Toronto wouldn't have the assets to pull it off.

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
The problem with trading McDavid is then suddenly the team has to win right away because all the goodwill is gone. Now, you might be able to put a package together which can do that for the team (like the Nordiques did with Lindros) but it's very risky.

As it stands now, the team doesn't have to make the playoffs next year. The entire season will probably sell out in 30 minutes when all tickets go on sale in September and as long as McDavid stays healthy and the team plays to about an 80-point pace, fans are going to be falling all over themselves to go to games at Rexall Place next season.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
I would consider a deal with Buffalo centering around Eichel but they'd have to add some other attractive pieces as well (some assorted combination of Ristolainen, Girgensons, Bogosian, Reinhart, and Zadorov). Buffalo has a number of quality young assets though and I think they could make an offer I couldn't refuse. That's largely because I'm a huge fan of Eichel though - he's going to be a franchise centreman in the near future.

If Buffalo was to offer something like Eichel, Ristolainen, Girgensons, and another pick, I'd have a tough time saying no.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
id offer mcdavid + scrivens to the sabres for bogosian, eichel + lindback
That wouldn't be nearly enough for me. Bogosian is a good start but it would take another couple quality assets in addition to him and Eichel for me to make the move.

To be honest, Buffalo is in a good position rebuild-wise and trading for McDavid probably doesn't make much sense. They're set for the next decade and more with Eichel-Reinhart-Girgensons down the middle. That's a great mix of skill-sets!

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
You're not serious... :help:

I guess it depends what you think about Eichel really, I don't think there is as big of a spread as is hyped but I do agree McDavid is the better player.

I would at least let Buffalo make an offer and tell them that Bogosian and Eichel would have to be a part of it and just see if they offer something dumb - they have some nice assets over there.

Ranger30Oiler97*

May 14, 2015
I guess it depends what you think about Eichel really, I don't think there is as big of a spread as is hyped but I do agree McDavid is the better player.

I would at least let Buffalo make an offer and tell them that Bogosian and Eichel would have to be a part of it and just see if they offer something dumb - they have some nice assets over there.

Risto+eichel+2016 1st+Ennis for
Mcdavid + Ference +nikitin .

And I still don't know if I'd do it..

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
That wouldn't be nearly enough for me. Bogosian is a good start but it would take another couple quality assets in addition to him and Eichel for me to make the move.

To be honest, Buffalo is in a good position rebuild-wise and trading for McDavid probably doesn't make much sense. They're set for the next decade and more with Eichel-Reinhart-Girgensons down the middle. That's a great mix of skill-sets!
McDavid-Nuge-LD…ours is better.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Number 1 to Buffalo for number 2 (to draft Eichel), Reinhart and Buffalo's number 1 in 2016 would interest me. Then you flip Reinhart-plus to get number 4 to draft Hanifin.

Buffalo probably refuses this deal but I'd do it.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Think about this. We dont even have Mcdavid yet but just the thought of him being on the team next year has caused a fast track in change within the Oilers. The current players are excited, other players are willing to play for Edmonton as well as coaches and managers. We trade Mcdavid then we're back to being some crappy city in northern Canada.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
McDavid-Nuge-LD…ours is better.
I think they're pretty comparable. We probably get the overall edge in talent, but Buffalo has a better mix of skill-sets with Eichel's size and Girgenson's two-way ability. Of course, I wouldn't trade our set for theirs given McDavid's generational ability. Girgensons would fit perfectly with this team on our third line though!

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
I think they're pretty comparable. We probably get the overall edge in talent, but Buffalo has a better mix of skill-sets with Eichel's size and Girgenson's two-way ability. Of course, I wouldn't trade our set for theirs given McDavid's generational ability. Girgensons would fit perfectly with this team on our third line though!
I kinda feel the same way about LD for the next few years. I see a player who has size and defensive ability with some offensive punch. The only thing that worries me is Yak on the wing and we have already witnessed those two floundering a little bit although Eakins could have had an effect on that pairing as well.

TimeForAnOilChange

From OTTERS 2 OILERS
May 4, 2010
Made by MacTambLowe
Think about this. We dont even have Mcdavid yet but just the thought of him being on the team next year has caused a fast track in change within the Oilers. The current players are excited, other players are willing to play for Edmonton as well as coaches and managers. We trade Mcdavid then we're back to being some crappy city in northern Canada.

Ehh? Thats the first i've heard of this...has anybody actually come out and said this yet? I agree with the rest of your post though.

And the correct answer to the OP's question is NOBODY....You dont trade him, period!!

You trade one or two of the other big names (because we wont be able to keep them all eventually with all the big salaries), but not him (and i'm talking in a year or 2, not necessarily this year).

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
McDavid for Benn, Seguin and Klingberg is fair.

McDavid for Subban and Price too, IMO.

Value is good, but the problem is that it pushes us to basically zero cap space if we make those deals.

A big part of the allure of McDavid is getting a phenom at a low cap hit for 3 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad