What would it take for you to move McDavid?

JustinCider

Dec 15, 2005
Earth
I don't want to trade Connor, to me it would take a boatload, but as good as he looks, he is still a junior hockey player who is unproven as a PRO. If the right deal came along, what would it take it take for you to move him. These are the ones I'd seriously consider...

MON - Subban and Price.

or

OTT - Karlsson, Lazar, and Turris.

or

NSH - Weber and Josi/Jones.

or

LA - Doughty, Toffoli, and Jones.

or

FLA - Barkov, Bjukstad, and Ekblad.

or

BUF - Eichel, Reinhart, and Risto.

or

WAS - Backstrom, Wilson, and Carlson.

or

STL - Tarensko, Pietrangelo, and Allan.

or

DAL - Seguin, Benn, and Klingberg.

or

COL - Mackinnon, Barrie, and E. Johnson.

or

ARZ - OEL, Hanifan, Domi, and Duclare.

These are the deals that would make me consider trading Connor, some seem like no brainers, some are still a little iffy. One thing is for sure, not many teams, if any, would be willing to pay the asking price to acquire him.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Yes
FLA - Barkov, Bjugstad, and Ekblad. (Would rather Huberdeau over Barkov or Bjugstad, though.)
DAL - Seguin, Benn, and Klingberg.

Maybe
COL - Mackinnon, Barrie, and E. Johnson.
BUF - Eichel, Reinhart, and Risto.
STL - Tarasenko, Pietrangelo, and Allen.

No
MON - Subban and Price.
OTT - Karlsson, Lazar, and Turris.
NSH - Weber and Josi/Jones.
LA - Doughty, Toffoli, and Jones.
WAS - Backstrom, Wilson, and Carlson.
ARZ - OEL, Hanifin, Domi, and Duclair.

GRadio

Energy Line
Aug 16, 2014
Edmonton
No one. The problem with a trade in the cap world is that we have to take a lot of salary back which would destroy our team. If we took Crosby or Ovy, we'd be taking $10 million with him. Toews, Seabrook and Saad? $20 million.

There is no one as good as mcdavid for as cheap as we are going to have him. He's invaluable.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
No one. The problem with a trade in the cap world is that we have to take a lot of salary back which would destroy our team. If we took Crosby or Ovy, we'd be taking $10 million with him. Toews, Seabrook and Saad? $20 million.

There is no one as good as mcdavid for as cheap as we are going to have him. He's invaluable.

Bingo.

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
I really hope that no one makes us an offer we can't refuse. I'm really looking forward to watching McDavid for the next 10 years or so.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
In a Cap-less league, there's plenty in there that would make my eyebrow raise. McDavid isn't untradeable. If we get a crazy offer, like what you're seeing in many of these examples, you do it.

I think.

I don't know. I don't want the backlash of the Gretzky trade again. Too much bad karma (manifesting itself in the form of Kevin Lowe).

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Eh, on the one hand there are a lot of deals here that the Oilers win hands down. On the other hand, the marketability of McDavid and the instant optimism he brings to the struggling franchise is irreplaceable. In terms of player value, he's actually not worth that much. In terms of value to the Oilers franchise, he's worth more than any other player or combination of players in the league.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
It'd take a lot of balls to pull the trigger on any trade, even a true overpayment.

Isn't that crazy. One, 18 year old kid who hasn't stepped one foot on NHL ice to play a single second of NHL hockey has enough pull to make even the smartest hockey minds sweat when considering a trade.

Crazy.

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012

This is really the main factor.

But aside from that, we've been without a truly dominant guy for so long that I think people forget how big of a deal it really is. Hall and Nuge are great, but they aren't controlling the game every time they hit the ice the way Pronger did. Pronger wasn't just a #1 D, he was (arguably) the best in the league at his position. Guys like that are pretty tough to quantify with these on-paper debates.

The Human Torch

Sep 7, 2005
Amsterdam

This, a million times over.

Plus, with McDavid on the team, if the team improves as it should (Babcock? McLellan?) the next few offseasons will very likely see a larger influx of free agents coming here and other players taking Edmonton off their no-trade lists so we could end up with some of the above players or their ilk anyways.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Hes unmoveable as hes a generational player that is better than Crosby.

Honestly the only team with the correct pieces are the Habs and hypothetically lets say its

Subban, Price, Pacoreitty, Galchenyuk and 3 first rounders + 15 million cash I wouldnt do it.

Habs cant even make the finals with this "best in a generation" Habs team.

Oilers in 06 were able to do it with a bunch of plugs and Pronger.

Why

Jan 15, 2014
Edmonton
After watching the erie/soo playoffs series there's no way I trade him. Just so much fun to watch. Besides what I would even consider we couldn't afford. I think he's gonna kick Hall up another notch too and that will be a pretty crazy line to watch. Pretty pumped for next year

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad