Speculation: What was LA trading to Montreal now that we see what they got from Vegas

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Wasn't it rumours to be a 1st, JAD and a roster player that's a cap dump ? Clifford ?

That's way worse than what we got tho, why would we do that? If the package doesn't have Vilardi i would have wanted JAD + Clague + 2nd + dump.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
Vilardi is probably better projected for the NHL right now, no doubt about that. He's ahead of Suzuki but not because Suzuki wasn't the Knights' top prospect, that's stupid to say. Glass and Suzuki are both great prospects and Glass really isn't that far ahead of Suzuki.

I'm glad the habs went with Suzuki + Tatar + 2nd over Toffoli + late 1st if that was in fact the offer.
It wasn't what Habs went with, it was dictated by they fact Patches balked at the extension Kings offered. And unlike Vegas , LA was not willing to give up a lot for a 1 year rental. Blake saw how the Lucic debacle went.

Reactions: go4hockey

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
LA has denied that Vilardi was ever in play for Patches. Regardless, it didn't happen and LA has Kovalchuk to thank for the save. In the end, does it matter? The deals are done. What could have been isn't going to change what is.

Reactions: YP44 and go4hockey

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Yes 100% Vilardi was involved, especially considering that was the 1st deal they accepted. Tbh there's not much gap between Vilardi and Suzuki, Vilardi is slightly the better prospect right now but i think Suzuki's game can transition better to the NHL.

I really loved both Suzuki and Vilardi in their draft year.
I havnt seen anything to suggest they guy were close in value....

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I havnt seen anything to suggest they guy were close in value....

? Vilardi was the #11 pick in 2017 and Suzuki was #13, they're both coming off good seasons. Vilardi is the more prototypical center (he's big but does have skating issues) but Suzuki's game is more suited for todays game.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
? Vilardi was the #11 pick in 2017 and Suzuki was #13, they're both coming off good seasons. Vilardi is the more prototypical center (he's big but does have skating issues) but Suzuki's game is more suited for todays game.
Ok, but I still havnt seen anything that has them close to each other post draft.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Ok, but I still havnt seen anything that has them close to each other post draft.

Vilardi is clearly the more talented of the two. However, his reccurent back issues at such a young age is a huge red flag and clearly affects him (and his skating too, I suppose). There could be a case made where some would pick Suzuki over him for that.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
To be fair, he did said yes to a deal but it fell apart when Pacioretty refused L.A’s extention.

I too believe Vilardi was not involved (see my post above when I mention was I believe was one of the two possible deals - Similar value to what he got from Vegas).

In the end, we will never know if Vilardi was included or not. Chances are he wasn’t but it still and will remain speculation. Only a handful of people knows for real.

i worded that poorly - i apologize.

Deal was done, that much we know. I would be utterly shocked if Vilardi was involved, and if he was, the other pieces wouldnt have mattered to Bergevin. As soon as Rob said "Vil.." Bergevin wouldve said no take backs. the word out of LA is that Vilardi is pretty much the most untouchable asset owned.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
i worded that poorly - i apologize.

Deal was done, that much we know. I would be utterly shocked if Vilardi was involved, and if he was, the other pieces wouldnt have mattered to Bergevin. As soon as Rob said "Vil.." Bergevin wouldve said no take backs. the word out of LA is that Vilardi is pretty much the most untouchable asset owned.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Vilardi is clearly the more talented of the two. However, his reccurent back issues at such a young age is a huge red flag and clearly affects him (and his skating too, I suppose). There could be a case made where some would pick Suzuki over him for that.
That is a factor. One that I would agree with actually given Viliardi is injured alreadt. At the time of the potential trade though, he was healthy.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
That's way worse than what we got tho, why would we do that? If the package doesn't have Vilardi i would have wanted JAD + Clague + 2nd + dump.

Depends who Montreal valued with the kings first at the draft.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
That is a factor. One that I would agree with actually given Viliardi is injured alreadt. At the time of the potential trade though, he was healthy.

He already had back issues at the time and it was well document. He was in fact healthy at the time (draft) but the question marks were already there. Having back issues again just amplifies the question marks.

Back problems isn’t something you can easily get rid of. Knee, shoulder issues are easier to deal with because a surgery fix the problem most of the time.

Hopefully it turns out ok for the kid. not only for his NHL carreer but also for his every day life. Back issues at such a young age is scary and should be taken very seriously.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

Oh and also the fact that the next big trade was mostly going to be the judge and jury for Bergevin’s carreer as a GM, I think it’s safe to say he’s probably happier than he got a safer return (less talented Suzuki vs more talented but with a question mark Vilardi).

If Vilardi was traded to Montreal at the draft (let’s just assume he was part of the deal) and we hear two months later that Vilardi’s back issue is still a problem, he would’ve been flamed by the media, fans and most likely the rest of the league.

If I’m Bergevin today and I have to make a deal that either save my carreer or ends it, I have to go with the safer but less talented Suzuki (although still a A prospect) over the possible home run/strike out prospect.

For the record, I think Vilardi “skating issues” are more related to his back issues than anything else and I believe out of all the top C prospects right now (Necas, Thomas, Borgstrom, Kotkaniemi, Suzuki) he’s the more talented of the bunch

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Oh and also the fact that the next big trade was mostly going to be the judge and jury for Bergevin’s carreer as a GM, I think it’s safe to say he’s probably happier than he got a safer return (less talented Suzuki vs more talented but with a question mark Vilardi).

If Vilardi was traded to Montreal at the draft (let’s just assume he was part of the deal) and we hear two months later that Vilardi’s back issue is still a problem, he would’ve been flamed by the media, fans and most likely the rest of the league.

If I’m Bergevin today and I have to make a deal that either save my carreer or ends it, I have to go with the safer but less talented Suzuki (although still a A prospect) over the possible home run/strike out prospect.

For the record, I think Vilardi “skating issues” are more related to his back issues than anything else and I believe out of all the top C prospects right now (Necas, Thomas, Borgstrom, Kotkaniemi, Suzuki) he’s the more talented of the bunch
I think he got an outstanding return regardless of the situations

Reactions: funky

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
I would be confident in saying it was Anderson-Dolan, 2018 1st and something else, didn't have to be a roster player because the Kovalchuk hadn't happened yet, so the cap was not an issue.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
LA has denied that Vilardi was ever in play for Patches. Regardless, it didn't happen and LA has Kovalchuk to thank for the save. In the end, does it matter? The deals are done. What could have been isn't going to change what is.
Yup, it was mentioned a few times by the LA beat writers.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Suzuki is an undersized b prospect.
Toffoli would not have been a healthy scratch for Vegas like Tatar.

If anything, we can conclude neither Vilardi nor Toffoli was involved but somehow the OP is trying hard.

More likely two assets from Clague, JAD, 1st, 2nd. Thats similar to Suzuki, Tatar, 2nd.

Amen

Reactions: Stumbling Jack

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
Im just wondering where all these sources came from all the sudden saying the 100% Kings offered Vilardi?

My guess is JAD+1st

Stumbling Jack

Jan 4, 2013
Valencia
Suzuki is an undersized b prospect.
Toffoli would not have been a healthy scratch for Vegas like Tatar.

If anything, we can conclude neither Vilardi nor Toffoli was involved but somehow the OP is trying hard.

More likely two assets from Clague, JAD, 1st, 2nd. Thats similar to Suzuki, Tatar, 2nd.

Amen

Agreed. It's been said from Blake and other office reps Vilardi was NOT getting moved. Vilardi is the best C they've had in the farm since Kopitar and the Kings will not have the luxury to take on a high paid FA center for a long time. Recent history has shown w/ the Kings success that besides their stubborn defense and goaltending, having the 1-2 punch down the middle is critical.

The only way Blake moves Vilardi would be him as the center piece for an upgrade at C (see the DL trade Schenn and Simmonds for Richards).

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
But now JAD is being praised to make the Kings lineup opening day so happy the deal didn’t go through . If we get Voynov back I think one of Martinez or Muzzin is going to be moved

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Probably a 1st, Muzzin and then one of LA's prospects. Then I think MTL trades for ROR.

Why didn't Max accept 6x6 if he took 4x7 to play in Vegas. Thats the head scratcher for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad