Speculation: What was LA trading to Montreal now that we see what they got from Vegas

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
OP says toffoli was part of the deal, what do you add for one season of pacioretty. still trying to figure on what part i'm wrong about.

For starters, you're wrong about the term. Considering the deal was nixed because they couldn't agree on an extension, it's odd that you are saying "for one season of Pacioretty." Quite obviously the deal was contingent on having him for more than one season.

Reactions: HabsQC

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
You poor tortured souls. You finally got a good deal and some of you can't just sit back and enjoy it. Instead, it's "how did this compare to every made up rumor on HF in the past six months".

I'll put your mind at ease:

The Habs got all the offers. They got Vilardi and a 1st. They get Thomas and/or Kyrou from St. Louis. Sakic called up putting Jost and Timmins on a platter for Bergevin. And he chose Suzuki (and some stuff) - thereby definitively proving Suzuki is absolutely as good if not better than the aforementioned prospects and if you don't think so, you're just another non-Habs fan who's goal in life is to troll HF and persecute Habs fans who, as a group in general, are never prone to hyperbole and overreactions.

Happy now? Get some sleep. It was a good deal. Suzuki is a good prospect. You've got a really nicely developing prospect pool. The season will suck but the process of pulling the scabs off has started. It's painful but will be worth it in a few years.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
You poor tortured souls. You finally got a good deal and some of you can't just sit back and enjoy it. Instead, it's "how did this compare to every made up rumor on HF in the past six months".

I'll put your mind at ease:

The Habs got all the offers. They got Vilardi and a 1st. They get Thomas and/or Kyrou from St. Louis. Sakic called up putting Jost and Timmins on a platter for Bergevin. And he chose Suzuki (and some stuff) - thereby definitively proving Suzuki is absolutely as good if not better than the aforementioned prospects and if you don't think so, you're just another non-Habs fan who's goal in life is to troll HF and persecute Habs fans who, as a group in general, are never prone to hyperbole and overreactions.

Happy now? Get some sleep. It was a good deal. Suzuki is a good prospect. You've got a really nicely developing prospect pool. The season will suck but the process of pulling the scabs off has started. It's painful but will be worth it in a few years.
Bergevin turned down Crosby (50%retained), Malkin (50%retained) and a 1st for Pacioretty

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Vilardi is seen as a considerably better prospect than Suzuki, and is easily the best prospect in the Kings' system, which is something Suzuki is not for Vegas.

As some have guessed, I too think that Toffoli and the 20th overall pick were involved.
Villardi is definitely a tremendous prospect, but the back issues make it close. I thought he was over them, but now he’s missing rookie camp because of back issues. Who would you prefer as the main piece back for your captain???

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Vilardi wasn't involved. Tatar had negative value hence why Vegas had to give up a nice piece like Suzuki to get rid of him.
It took GMGM 28 games to realize that not only was Tatar not worth a first, second, and third round pick, but that he also had to give up a first round pick to get rid of him?

riznat

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2005
Lake Tahoe
Villardi is definitely a tremendous prospect, but the back issues make it close. I thought he was over them, but now he’s missing rookie camp because of back issues. Who would you prefer as the main piece back for your captain???
for Kopitar? MTL doesnt have the assets for him. Not sure what this post means exactly, just because hes a captain doesn't really mean anything.

For the fun of it... would you trade Max for Dustin Brown (former captain)?

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
for Kopitar? MTL doesnt have the assets for him. Not sure what this post means exactly, just because hes a captain doesn't really mean anything.

For the fun of it... would you trade Max for Dustin Brown (former captain)?
No, I’m saying Suzuki is the safer return for Pacioretty.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Suzuki is an undersized b prospect.
Toffoli would not have been a healthy scratch for Vegas like Tatar.

If anything, we can conclude neither Vilardi nor Toffoli was involved but somehow the OP is trying hard.

More likely two assets from Clague, JAD, 1st, 2nd. Thats similar to Suzuki, Tatar, 2nd.

Amen

Two assets from Clague, JAD, 1st, 2nd is far from Suzuki, Tatar 2nd in my opinion.

Agreed. It's been said from Blake and other office reps Vilardi was NOT getting moved. Vilardi is the best C they've had in the farm since Kopitar and the Kings will not have the luxury to take on a high paid FA center for a long time. Recent history has shown w/ the Kings success that besides their stubborn defense and goaltending, having the 1-2 punch down the middle is critical.

The only way Blake moves Vilardi would be him as the center piece for an upgrade at C (see the DL trade Schenn and Simmonds for Richards).

Doubt as well Vilardi was included but I also believe Bergevin had a better offered to him fron L.A than he got with Vegas. My bet is either Muzzin + JAD + 2nd or Toffoli + Clague + 2nd.

Once again: Sportsnet said they believed the package was Muzzin, Anderson-Dolan and a 2nd

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if that was the deal.

No, I’m saying Suzuki is the safer return for Pacioretty.

Exactly this. This trade was/is going to make or break Bergevin’s carreer. Imagine trading for Vilardi and two months later the kid is out again for a unknown period of time for back issues. Scary stuff. He’s clearly one of the best prospect in the league right and his only weakness is his skating, which may be caused by his back pain (try skating smoothly with back pain - Not easy).

Vilardi has the talent to be a superstar but his back issues is a huge question mark and I doubt Bergevin would be taking that kind of risk right now. It’s safer for him & Habs future to go with the less talented but still A prospect instead of the home run.

I do hope it turns out well for Vilardi’s and L.A. Kids a stud

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Once again: Sportsnet said they believed the package was Muzzin, Anderson-Dolan and a 2nd
Doubt it, Blake should be fired immediately and this would be a non typical Blake trade.

Perhaps Sportsnet still thinks Lombardi is running the show.

Kings need young assets and Muzzin could for traded for that as well.

IMO the pieces going to Montreal is exactly what Patches was worth. B prospect, healthy scratch, pick.

Last edited:

Shad

Mar 5, 2011
Seeing the result of the actual trade gives more credibility to the original rumor of Toffoli + Vilardi.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Seeing the result of the actual trade gives more credibility to the original rumor of Toffoli + Vilardi.

No, not really. I was under the impression that Tatar wasn't that successful in vegas, perhaps they wanted out of his deal

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
The offer was Gabe Vilardi, his brother Francesco, and all future Vilardis from now to perpetuity. Future Vilardis deemed unfit for hockey will be required to man t-shirt cannons or sell programs in the Bell Centre for a minimum of 5 seasons.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Doubt it, Blake should be fired immediately and this would be a non typical Blake trade.

Perhaps Sportsnet still thinks Lombardi is running the show.

Kings need young assets and Muzzin could for traded for that as well.

IMO the pieces going to Montreal is exactly what Patches was worth. B prospect, healthy scratch, pick.
Suzuki isn’t a B level prospect, Tatar is not a permanent healthy scratch. I still consider him a 2nd liner

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I think the return from the Kings was even better than Vegas. Wasn’t Muzzin also rumored to be in?

I think the offer was one of these two: Muzzin + 1st + mid prospect

Toffoli + Clague + 2nd

The difference in value between Muzzin a top pairing defenseman and Patches is not a 1st and a mid prospect so Hell no to that.

Now toffoli is a right wing why would la trade there best right wing for a left wing who would be behind Kolvo on the depth chart. Also The difference between Toffoli and Patches is not Our best defensive prospect and a 2nd

Imo dolan anderson and a 2nd was the offer You all may not like it but it would be closer as the kings are in a win now why would they give up someone from the roster

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I would be confident in saying it was Anderson-Dolan, 2018 1st and something else, didn't have to be a roster player because the Kovalchuk hadn't happened yet, so the cap was not an issue.
It would not have been the pick because by all reports the deal was done after the first round and needed to be done before the 2nd round because a pick in that round was in the deal

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
It would not have been the pick because by all reports the deal was done after the first round and needed to be done before the 2nd round because a pick in that round was in the deal

I thought someone mentioned it was in progress during the 1st round (I am likely remembering incorrectly), so i'll take your word for it.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I thought someone mentioned it was in progress during the 1st round (I am likely remembering incorrectly), so i'll take your word for it.
I am remember a tweet by mackenzie or dregger someone along those s line saying something to the effect that king made a deal Friday night contingent on him resigning and it was under a time restriction because of a pic in the next round

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad