Speculation: What was LA trading to Montreal now that we see what they got from Vegas

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
i don't think vilardi was involved. toffoli is a younger version of pacioretty. maybe a 1st plus toffoli.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
how? vilardi is considered to be a top 10 prospect. suzuki is not. toffoli is a young 30 goal scorer.

What?

Vilardi is bigger, and was drafted two spots ahead of Suzuki --- they were VERY close in PPG this season in the same league (OHL)

Not saying Vilardi isn't better, but he's definitely not WAY better.

My guess is Vilardi + 2018 1st was the deal at the table.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
He scored 30 goals once 3 seasons ago
OP says toffoli was part of the deal, what do you add for one season of pacioretty. still trying to figure on what part i'm wrong about. is a 1st round pick not enough? do you not value toffoli at all? quite frankly toffoli is worth much more than tatar...and vilardi imo is a better prospect than suzuki.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
I don't get why LA would trade Toffili. In his day I would say Patches is better but I would bet on 4 years of Toffili being better then what Patches contract is
maybe, but pacioretty has had a much better career than toffoli and there's only 3 years separating the two.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Just speculation, but I think the Habs were expecting a similar return as they received from Vegas. I'd guess...

Toffoli (slightly better than Tatar)
Clague (equal to Suzuki, considering the Habs are looking for young D)

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
What?

Vilardi is bigger, and was drafted two spots ahead of Suzuki --- they were VERY close in PPG this season in the same league (OHL)

Not saying Vilardi isn't better, but he's definitely not WAY better.

My guess is Vilardi + 2018 1st was the deal at the table.

1.81 and 1.56 are not really close in ppg, especially when Vilardi was still recovering from an injury when he put up those points.

And no way do the Kings trade Vilardi AND a first anyways. Absolutely no way. They need those cheap contracts to avoid trading core pieces as it is. Kovalchuk at 6.25 leaves them with about $2M in cap space, with Doughty's cap hit jumping $4M next year and 4 RFAs. Any trade for Patches would have needed salary going the other way, which is why only Toffoli or Pearson would make sense for the Kings.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Vilardi is seen as a considerably better prospect than Suzuki, and is easily the best prospect in the Kings' system, which is something Suzuki is not for Vegas.

As some have guessed, I too think that Toffoli and the 20th overall pick were involved.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Vilardi is seen as a considerably better prospect than Suzuki, and is easily the best prospect in the Kings' system, which is something Suzuki is not for Vegas.

As some have guessed, I too think that Toffoli and the 20th overall pick were involved.

Vilardi is probably better projected for the NHL right now, no doubt about that. He's ahead of Suzuki but not because Suzuki wasn't the Knights' top prospect, that's stupid to say. Glass and Suzuki are both great prospects and Glass really isn't that far ahead of Suzuki.

I'm glad the habs went with Suzuki + Tatar + 2nd over Toffoli + late 1st if that was in fact the offer.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
OP says toffoli was part of the deal, what do you add for one season of pacioretty. still trying to figure on what part i'm wrong about. is a 1st round pick not enough? do you not value toffoli at all? quite frankly toffoli is worth much more than tatar...and vilardi imo is a better prospect than suzuki.

I don't see why though.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Vilardi is probably better projected for the NHL right now, no doubt about that. He's ahead of Suzuki but not because Suzuki wasn't the Knights' top prospect, that's stupid to say. Glass and Suzuki are both great prospects and Glass really isn't that far ahead of Suzuki.

I'm glad the habs went with Suzuki + Tatar + 2nd over Toffoli + late 1st if that was in fact the offer.

I think they would be fairly comparable returns. The way I see it is Toffoli = Tatar + 2nd, roughly, and Suzuki slightly > 20th overall pick in a deep draft.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I think they would be fairly comparable returns. The way I see it is Toffoli = Tatar + 2nd, roughly, and Suzuki slightly > 20th overall pick in a deep draft.

I'd rather have the 2nd round pick and a prospect who is 2 years into a successful development so far (saves us work).

Nothing against Toffoli, he's 26 and we're (hopefully) rebuilding.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I'd rather have the 2nd round pick and a prospect who is 2 years into a successful development so far (saves us work).

Nothing against Toffoli, he's 26 and we're (hopefully) rebuilding.

I definitely prefer Suzuki to the late first too, absolutely.

Better Tofolli is a better player than Tatar, he is on a better contract and he's also a bit younger.

Ehh, similar players, fairly comparable production. Toffoli is a bit younger and cheaper but not so much that he should be in another stratosphere compared to Tatar when it comes to value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad