What trades turned out to be very lopsided for one of the teams?

taylord22

Mar 30, 2009
You could say that the Oilers hosed the blues to get Perron for (recently waived) Paajarvi and a 2nd, but then we just went and hosed ourselves by giving him up to the Pens for a main bean and a depth forward.

We'll have to wait and see what Barbasev does in the NHL (not to mention it allowed us to sign Petro for big money and term).

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Boston has more than a few from Espo to Neely to Rask...

But right now I think the Toivonen for Soderberg trade to be interesting (not exactly what you're asking) - as it's still playing itself out so many years later. Just that Toivonen looked like a sure-fire #1 and Soderberg didn't look like he'd ever leave Sweden.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Even with no cap theres a decent chance the Preds owners don't pay up 7 million and change for Suter.

Yashin for Bill Muckalt, Chara and 2n overall in 2001 (Spezza)

Justin Williams to LA for Patty O'SUllivana nd a 2nd. Williams has been a playoff beast for the Kings since.

Oleg Tverdovsky and Jack Johnsons rights for Tim Gleason and Bélanger.

Gleason was serviceable for the 'Canes but JJ turned out great and got the Kings Carter.

Actually, they tried to do just that. Their offer, according to an article by former Preds beat Josh Cooper shortly after, was for almost the exact same length and term that the Wild offered. Suter just chose to "go home" to that part of the country, where both he and his wife were originally from.

bhawks1399*

Flyers traded a young Patrick sharp to the blackhawks for some no names

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
Flyers traded away their entire draft to rent Adam Oates at the deadline.

Kiprusoff to CGY for a 2nd round pick.

DyerMaker66*

Markus Naslund was once a Penguin and that's all I have to say about that.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Except Frattin was used to parlay Gaborik to LA, so not really that bad.

No kidding.

Scrivens came in and played fantastic, but was outplayed by the emergent Martin Jones, so he became expendable.

It essentially became Bernier for 19 games of a .931 Scrivens and Marian Gaborik, who scored 14 playoff goals on the way to the cup.

Everyone knew how good Bernier was, and considering he wasn't sticking around coupled with the goalie market, it's hard to argue that this trade was lopsided or bad asset management.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
Klein for Del Zotto is starting to look pretty grim.

But when you trade down its generally under the assumption that your guy (in this case Pickard) will still be there a few spots later, so you get a little something for moving down and get your pick anyway. It's very likely that the Preds take PIckard at 15th anyway if the trade never goes down.

Still a bad idea, but I wouldn't classify it as a bad trade. More so a bad pick.

Even worse for the other team than the Gomez for the rights to McDonagh? It is a minor miracle that Scott Gomez is still in the NHL, while that trade gave the Rangers their current captain.

Elsewhere, I think that the Turris for Rundblad deal ended up lopsided...as was the trade the Leafs made to get Dion Phaneuf. Only Matt Stajan is still with Calgary (or in the NHL) for players going to Calgary. Another trade that ended up lopsided is Jack Johnson for Jeff Carter...just because the Kings got rid of Jack Johnson, who has no concept of the word defense.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Not even close bud. Luongo and Jokinen for Parrish and Kvasha. The Isles already had the #1 overall and tossed it away on DiPietro.

You're absolutely right. I remembered the trade and draft as one brain dead maneuver but that's wrong in the context here. Way off.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Lots of people are missing the point here. A bad trade is a bad trade. It does not become a good trade because they managed to mitigate it with a future trade, that trade is just a second good trade and the original is bad.

EG Loui Eriksson has nothing to do with Kessel/Seguin, Gaborik has nothing to do with Bernier.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Le Trade.
-> Patrick Roy aka the best goalie ever and Mike Keane for Jocelyn ****ing Thibault, Martin Rucinsky and Andrei Kovalenko.

And again, the Gomez Trade. One of the worst trade ever. Can you send us McDonagh back, NYR, plz?

Flamer12

Feb 11, 2013
Canada
Gilmour, Natress, Manderville, Macoun and Wamsley to the Leafs for Leeman, Berube, Godynyuk,Petit and Reese. I am assuming most on here are too young to remember this trade as it turned out to be one of the few times the Leafs actually fleeced the other team.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
Actually, they tried to do just that. Their offer, according to an article by former Preds beat Josh Cooper shortly after, was for almost the exact same length and term that the Wild offered. Suter just chose to "go home" to that part of the country, where both he and his wife were originally from.

Said another way, Suter worked a secret deal in the background to secure contracts for himself and Parise, all the while telling Predator management and fans he really wanted to work something out with Nashville.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Bunch of goons for almost an entire 2nd line. St Louis and Vancouver. St. Louis went from second in the league overall in wins to a mediocre team, Vancouver becomes Cup Finalists eventually.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Gilmour, Natress, Manderville, Macoun and Wamsley to the Leafs for Leeman, Berube, Godynyuk,Petit and Reese. I am assuming most on here are too young to remember this trade as it turned out to be one of the few times the Leafs actually fleeced the other team.

No Brett Hull accidentally thrown in version. :)

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
The Sharp for scrubs trade was pretty lopsided.

Not exactly a prospect, but still in the beginning of the career.

Versteeg from Boston to Chicago to boot.

Of course we all know about the Esposito trade to Boston.

However continuing with recent lopsided trades by the Blackhawks, Leddy and Oduya come to mind as well.

I dont know if the Hammer pick counts but it was acquired for Igor Koralev I believe.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

I had no idea, my bad. I thought it was he wanted to go home AND get paid.

You're absolutely right. I remembered the trade and draft as one brain dead maneuver but that's wrong in the context here. Way off.

You're confusing it with the other Milbury bonehead draft day move. Muckalt, 2nd overall in '01 (Spezza) and Chara for Yashin.

Denis Savard for Chelios. Savard wasnt "washed up" at that point but Chelios turned out great for us. Savard didn't really do much in MTL while Chelios won two Norris' and has some of his best seasons for Chicago. He may have even out scored Savard if you compare the three seasons after the trade. (Savards 3 seasons with the Habs, Chelios' first 3 with Chicago)

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Lots of people are missing the point here. A bad trade is a bad trade. It does not become a good trade because they managed to mitigate it with a future trade, that trade is just a second good trade and the original is bad.

EG Loui Eriksson has nothing to do with Kessel/Seguin, Gaborik has nothing to do with Bernier.

I agree with that. I was arguing about the context. To say "Scrivens only played 19 games with the Kings" as a reason the trade was bad ignores WHY. If you're going to talk about after effects you can't just ignore context. It was a decent trade that was mitigated by a future great trade. Definitely not nearly as bad as some other things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad