What trades turned out to be very lopsided for one of the teams?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Jeff Carter to Columbus for Voracek, 1st(Coutourier), 3rd(Cousins)

Carter has last laugh though seeing he has 2 stanley cup rings with LA... But brutal trade for the Columbus Bluejackets none the less, great one for Philly

CBJ was able to get hosed on 2 Jeff Carter deals in one season!

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Jonathan Bernier for Ben Scrivens, Matt Frattin and a 2nd round pick

Bernier has been a bonafide #1 for the Leafs, Scrivens played 19 games and got traded for a 3rd round pick, Frattin couldn't crack the roster and a 2nd round pick is a 2nd round pick.

I don't doubt that Dean Lombardi knew how good Bernier was too, such is the market for unproven goalies though I guess.

Lombardi essentially flipped the assets from the Bernier trade to pick up Marian Gaborik.

I don't think the Kings have any regrets about that at all.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
Vancouver getting Naslund from Pittsburg for a fighter who retired within a short period

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Lombardi essentially flipped the assets from the Bernier trade to pick up Marian Gaborik.

I don't think the Kings have any regrets about that at all.

Which he couldn't have done regardless of any Bernier trade? Just because he did well on another trade months down the line doesn't really excuse the fact that he gave up a very good goaltender for very little.

I don't blame DL for the trade because his hands were tied, but trying to tie the Gaborik trade into it isn't right. All GMs make mistakes, even if they don't regret them. I don't know why people deny this and try and act as if some GMs are without flaw.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Vancouver getting Naslund from Pittsburg for a fighter who retired within a short period

Alek Stojanov forever !!!!!!!

Linden to NYI for Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan McCabe, and the Islanders' third round choice (used to select Jarkko Ruutu) in the 1998 NHL Entry Draft. Betuzzzi and McCabe were apart of the 'Nucks successful early-mid 2000's teams. They were two of the core guys and did great for Vancouver. Even Ruutu was a solid bottom 6er for them.

I wonder how often all pieces acquired in a trade end up being useful for the team?

Linden only managed 64 points total for the Isles in two seasons (25 games 98, all of 98-99).
Another Milbury trade that didn't work out.

Mike Venron for Steve Chiasson (RIP). Vernon helped the Wings win the Stanley Cup in '97 and won the Conn Smythe that year. Also helped Osgood develop into a solid starter. Chiasson had 25 pts one year and 33 the next, not as bad as the Nalsund race but it worked out beautifully for Detroit.

PepperKeenan

Sep 22, 2012
Sweden
Alek Stojanov forever !!!!!!!

Linden to NYI for Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan McCabe, and the Islanders' third round choice (used to select Jarkko Ruutu) in the 1998 NHL Entry Draft. Betuzzzi and McCabe were apart of the 'Nucks successful early-mid 2000's teams. They were two of the core guys and did great for Vancouver. Even Ruutu was a solid bottom 6er for them.

I wonder how often all pieces acquired in a trade end up being useful for the team?

Linden only managed 64 points total for the Isles in two seasons (25 games 98, all of 98-99).
Another Milbury trade that didn't work out.

Mike Venron for Steve Chiasson (RIP). Vernon helped the Wings win the Stanley Cup in '97 and won the Conn Smythe that year. Also helped Osgood develop into a solid starter. Chiasson had 25 pts one year and 33 the next, not as bad as the Nalsund race but it worked out beautifully for Detroit.
Not really, McCabe played a big part in landing both Sedin's though.

"He played one and a half seasons with the Canucks before being shipped to the Chicago Blackhawks on draft day in a bid by Brian Burke to draft Daniel and Henrik Sedin second and third overall, respectively. McCabe was packaged with Vancouver's first round draft pick in 2000 in exchange for Chicago's first round draft pick in 1999."

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
What about the trade that sent Brett Hull to the Blues? That trade was Rob Ramage and Rick Wamsley for Hull and Steve Bozek. Hull ended up scoring 527 goala for the Blues and now has his number retired and his number and name on the Scottrade Center address.

Anson Carter for Jagr with 4 million retained salary for WSH.

For the love of my life, I will never understand how the Rangers ended up for just Anson Carter getting 319 points in 277 games for Jagr (including a 123-point season at age 34).

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Hmm, isn't it obvious?

Seguin is turning in to one of the more elite goalscorers and point producers in the game. He isn't one dimensional, he works hard and can lay the body on people. If I were shopping ONLY Seguin on my team and someone offered me Kessel one-for-one, I would laugh in their face.

Now you go to Hamilton, who is turning out to be a damn solid NHL defender who can chip in offensively. You know how much defensive help the Leafs could use right now? I would give a leg to have that trade back. The Leafs would be a COMPLETELY different team (for the better) right now if we had Seguin up front and Hamilton on the blueline.

It is a DREADFULLY lopsided trade.

Except the fact that much of what people hold against Kessel, Seguin is also guilty of.

To me it's hard to imagine that deal as terribly lopsided given Kessel has the second most points of any player in the world in almost a half decade.

I find the rhetoric around this trade beyond silly. There are countless trades where one team ends up with nothing while giving up something valuable.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Hmm, isn't it obvious?

Seguin is turning in to one of the more elite goalscorers and point producers in the game. He isn't one dimensional, he works hard and can lay the body on people. If I were shopping ONLY Seguin on my team and someone offered me Kessel one-for-one, I would laugh in their face.

Now you go to Hamilton, who is turning out to be a damn solid NHL defender who can chip in offensively. You know how much defensive help the Leafs could use right now? I would give a leg to have that trade back. The Leafs would be a COMPLETELY different team (for the better) right now if we had Seguin up front and Hamilton on the blueline.

It is a DREADFULLY lopsided trade.
blah blah

What do the Bruins have left to show for it? And the Leafs? Dreadfully lopsided lol

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Which would make it a passable trade for the Buds, but the trade wasn't for Seguin alone.

I'm aware. I said from day one the difference in this trade would be Hamilton and I still appear to be right.

Again, after 5 decades of watching hockey, losing out on Hamilton will hardly go down as a worst all time.

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City

Bernier has been a bonafide #1 for the Leafs, Scrivens played 19 games and got traded for a 3rd round pick, Frattin couldn't crack the roster and a 2nd round pick is a 2nd round pick.

I don't doubt that Dean Lombardi knew how good Bernier was too, such is the market for unproven goalies though I guess.

Didn't Frattin and that 2nd get them Gaborik?

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Didn't Frattin and that 2nd get them Gaborik?

If I trade you $5 for your couple year old Ferrari, you buy a lotto ticket and win $1 M, would you combine those things together and suggest I was silly for giving you $1 M for your car?

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc

Frattin was used with a 2nd-round pick in 2015 and a 3rd-round pick in 2014 to get Gaborik.

But keep on reading, it gets better.

That 3rd-round pick is the one they got from the Oilers for Scrivens.

That 2nd-round pick is the one they received from the Leafs in the Bernier trade.

End result: they traded Bernier, they ended up with Gaborik (14 goals in their Cup run last year).

Not so bad, n'est-ce pas? :D

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Kovalchuk....

Not only did we get Kovy, we got the first player out of the deal with Atlanta's 2nd round pick aka Jon Merrill..

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Except the fact that much of what people hold against Kessel, Seguin is also guilty of.

To me it's hard to imagine that deal as terribly lopsided given Kessel has the second most points of any player in the world in almost a half decade.

I find the rhetoric around this trade beyond silly. There are countless trades where one team ends up with nothing while giving up something valuable.

But Seguin has more points than Kessel now. And may consistently from now on. Plus Hamilton is a top 2 or 3 D right now.

Ouch

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Everyone says Gomez to MTL for the Rangers newest C….I really don't see what can top that. Like ever.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Zherdev was good for a little with the Rangers but Tyutin has been much better for Columbus and actually still plays in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad