What trades turned out to be very lopsided for one of the teams?

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Marcus Naslund for a throwaway ultimately.

Ben Bishop trade.

How about Luongo and Jokienen for I believe Parish, Muckalt and the #1 overall (DiPietro).

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
For the Leafs off the top of my head:

JVR for Schenn

Alex Steen + Carlo Colaiacovo for Lee Stempniak

Toskala + Bell for 13th overall (Eller) + 44th overall (Palushaj). SJ used those picks however to trade up in the draft and get Couture.

Rask for Raycroft

Kessel for 1st x2 + 2nd (Seguin, Hamilton, Knight)

Kurvers for 1st (Scott Niedermayer)

FlyRoutine

Aug 4, 2012
I believe the suggestion is that Columbus was set back 5 years in this deal, not the Flyers.

Even if it was meant the other way.
You can compare such trades with the Kessel trade. It pushes your team now, but sets back your team a few years later.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Philly trades a 2007 1st(Jonathon Blum) to Nashville for Scott Hartnell and Kimmo Timonen

To be fair, both players were UFA, so it was for the negotiating rights.

To be even more fair, Nashville was allegedly close to re-signing both when Craig Leipold decided it was time to admit his failures and tried to sell the team to Jim Balsillie--and in doing so, demanded payroll be slashed to the bone and the option to retain Hartnell and Timonen vanished.

It was about making the best of a rotten situation.

LionelHutz*

Zarley Zalapski and John Cullen, for Ron Francis,Ulf Samuelsson,and Grant Jennings.

Chris Wells for Stu Barnes and Jason Wolley(Thanks Florida).

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
The Caps have some doozies in their history.

Of course the most recent being Erat for Forsberg.

Trading away Dino Ciccarelli for Kevin Miller was pretty abysmal.

And the franchise changer...

They traded Gaetan Duschene, Alan Haworth and a 1st Round pick for Dale Hunter and Clint Malarchuk. Who'd that 1st round pick end up being? Joe Sakic.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
The Caps have some doozies in their history.

Of course the most recent being Erat for Forsberg.

Trading away Dino Ciccarelli for Kevin Miller was pretty abysmal.

And the franchise changer...

They traded Gaetan Duschene, Alan Haworth and a 1st Round pick for Dale Hunter and Clint Malarchuk. Who'd that 1st round pick end up being? Joe Sakic.

Ridley+Miller for Carpenter (who played like 20 games for NYR)

Murphy for Engblom/Houston (one of the worst trades in Kings history)

Calle Johansson for Malarchuk

Geoff Courtnall for Gregg Adams

Steve Eminger for Flyer's 1st round pick (John Carlson)...if you want to go the Sakic route

MovesLikeJagr68

Mar 26, 2012
Naslund for Stojanov

Jagr, Kucera for Beach, Sivek, Lupaschuk

Kovalev, LaCouture, Laukkanen, Wilson for Samuelsson, Fata, Bouchard, Lintner, $$$ (Although Samuelsson was flipped in order to get Fleury, so some positive here.)

Patrick may have had some great trades in his time in Pittsburgh, but he sure had some bombs like these ones.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
For the Leafs off the top of my head:

JVR for Schenn

Alex Steen + Carlo Colaiacovo for Lee Stempniak

Toskala + Bell for 13th overall (Eller) + 44th overall (Palushaj). SJ used those picks however to trade up in the draft and get Couture.

Rask for Raycroft

Kessel for 1st x2 + 2nd (Seguin, Hamilton, Knight)

Kurvers for 1st (Scott Niedermayer)

I'll never get why people see the Kessel deal as terribly lopsided.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I would even throw in another Rundblad trade as well. Turris for Rundblad has seemed like highway robbery for Ottawa

Not really. It'll suck if Vermette walks, but he's been tremendous, and is even outscoring Turris so far this year (while also having the edge defensively). I know he wasn't in the original trade, but they flipped the pick for him

dbridge

Bluth Lockout 2015
Nov 28, 2010
Chicago
There were a couple good ones for the Hawks in recent years.

Patrick Sharp (and Eric Meloche) from Philadelphia for Matt Ellison and a 3rd round pick (Ryan White).

Kris Versteeg from Boston for Brandon Bochenski.

4th round pick (Niklas Hjalmarsson) from NYI for Alexander Karpovtsev (who Pat Foley said on the day he was traded the Hawks would be lucky to receive a roll of tape in return).

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
- Del Zotto (NYR) for Klein (NSH)
- Gomez (NYR) for McDonagh (MTL) in a 7-player trade
- Rozsival (NYR) for Wolski (PHX)
- Gaborik (NYR) for Brassard, Dorsett, Moore (CLB)

These are the most lopsided trades of the Rangers I can think of over the last few years.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Jonathan Bernier for Ben Scrivens, Matt Frattin and a 2nd round pick

Bernier has been a bonafide #1 for the Leafs, Scrivens played 19 games and got traded for a 3rd round pick, Frattin couldn't crack the roster and a 2nd round pick is a 2nd round pick.

I don't doubt that Dean Lombardi knew how good Bernier was too, such is the market for unproven goalies though I guess.

Except Frattin was used to parlay Gaborik to LA, so not really that bad.

ATBLeafsTyler

Dec 15, 2014
Newmarket, Ontario
I'll never get why people see the Kessel deal as terribly lopsided.

Hmm, isn't it obvious?

Seguin is turning in to one of the more elite goalscorers and point producers in the game. He isn't one dimensional, he works hard and can lay the body on people. If I were shopping ONLY Seguin on my team and someone offered me Kessel one-for-one, I would laugh in their face.

Now you go to Hamilton, who is turning out to be a damn solid NHL defender who can chip in offensively. You know how much defensive help the Leafs could use right now? I would give a leg to have that trade back. The Leafs would be a COMPLETELY different team (for the better) right now if we had Seguin up front and Hamilton on the blueline.

It is a DREADFULLY lopsided trade.

Last edited:

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
Hmm, isn't it obvious?

Seguin is turning in to one of the more elite goalscorers and point producers in the game. He isn't one dimensional, he works hard and can lay the body on people. If I were shopping ONLY Seguin on my team and someone offered me Kessel, I would laugh in their face.

Now you go to Hamilton, who is turning out to be a damn solid NHL defender who can chip in offensively. You know how much defensive help the Leafs could use right now? I would give a leg to have that trade back. The Leafs would be a COMPLETELY different team (for the better) right now if we had Seguin up front and Hamilton on the blueline.

It is a DREADFULLY lopsided trade.

I would agree it is lopsided when you look at the players. Now with Boston trading Seguin, who knows. Kessel for Hamilton + Loui + Smith. Still a lopsided but it's hard to gauge who exactly Seguin would have fetched in the trade if it was him alone.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
ron grahame, real cloutier, robert picard, dale hunter, trevor kidd, and tom kurvers for the draft picks that became ray bourque, denis savard, patrick roy, joe sakic, martin brodeur, and scott niedermayer.

but seriously though, in most cases trading a draft pick shouldn't really count. the brodeur and niedermayer cases are arguably exceptions though. those were deliberate and crafty moves by lou.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Philly trades a 2007 1st(Jonathon Blum) to Nashville for Scott Hartnell and Kimmo Timonen

Nashville was going to lose both guys to free agency so I say Nashville got a pretty good return(despite Blum not panning out)

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
The Teemu trade still feels like absolute robbery.

Teemu Selanne + Marc Chouinard + 4th Round Pick (Traded to Montreal)
for
Oleg Tverdovsky + Chad Kilger + 3rd round pick (Per-Anton Lundstrom)

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Dallas traded Janne Niinimaa and a 5th to Montreal, in exchange for quite a few solid years of Mike Ribeiro.

Still kinda miss the guy, he was fun to watch with Dallas. Much like we've seen with Tyler Seguin, he was lambasted by his old team's media, for "problems" which just never surfaced while in Dallas. Fine by us, we enjoyed the stellar play and point production. :D

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Geeze so basically Preds dmen right now could be (in a dream world with no cap)

Weber - Karlsson
Suter - Franson
Josi - Jones
Ellis

Even with no cap theres a decent chance the Preds owners don't pay up 7 million and change for Suter.

Yashin for Bill Muckalt, Chara and 2n overall in 2001 (Spezza)

Justin Williams to LA for Patty O'SUllivana nd a 2nd. Williams has been a playoff beast for the Kings since.

Oleg Tverdovsky and Jack Johnsons rights for Tim Gleason and Bélanger.

Gleason was serviceable for the 'Canes but JJ turned out great and got the Kings Carter.

Connor McOilers

We have the precious
Feb 16, 2013
You could say that the Oilers hosed the blues to get Perron for (recently waived) Paajarvi and a 2nd, but then we just went and hosed ourselves by giving him up to the Pens for a main bean and a depth forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad