What trades turned out to be very lopsided for one of the teams?

DyerMaker66*

I'm aware. I said from day one the difference in this trade would be Hamilton and I still appear to be right.

Again, after 5 decades of watching hockey, losing out on Hamilton will hardly go down as a worst all time.

But it wasn't just Seguin and Hamilton, either, and that's why it gets mentioned among the worst of all-time: They gave up at least 3 valuable assets for a player equal to one of those assets. It gets worse when you add in all of the other possible moves that could've been made.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Habs traded Craig Rivet to Sharks for Josh Gorges and their 1st round pick

1st round pick turned out to be Max Pacioretty.

Oh, and McDonagh to Rangers. :facepalm:

One of my teams wins in the Patches trade. That same team gets ****ed in the McDonagh trade. So it's a net loss for my two teams together. :(

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
The Joe Thornton to SJ trade was very lopsided.

That really didn't turn out to be lopsided, from the get go it was lopsided and never changed.

and no freeing up cap space to get other players doesn't help it.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Naslund for Stojanov

Jagr, Kucera for Beach, Sivek, Lupaschuk

Kovalev, LaCouture, Laukkanen, Wilson for Samuelsson, Fata, Bouchard, Lintner, $$$ (Although Samuelsson was flipped in order to get Fleury, so some positive here.)

Patrick may have had some great trades in his time in Pittsburgh, but he sure had some bombs like these ones.

The Naslund trade was the first one that immediately came to mind.

The Kovalev debacle was nothing more than a salary dump since the Pens were literally lucky to pay their players during that miserable time.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Messier for Louie DeBrusk, Bernie Nicholls, and Steven Rice.

Brind'Amour and Dan Quinn for Murray Baron and Ron Sutter. (To Flyers from STL)

Brind'Amour for Keith Primeau. Brind'Amour led Carolina to two finals, won one of them and won two Selkes. Primeau had a 73 point season his first season after the trade for the Flyers and was pretty average after that.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
That really didn't turn out to be lopsided, from the get go it was lopsided and never changed.

and no freeing up cap space to get other players doesn't help it.

Well to be fair, Sturm and Stuart weren't exactly chopped liver. But Sturm broke down and Stuart was traded for scraps.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Justin Williams to LA for Patty O'Soul and a 2nd.

My goodness J-Dub has been dynamite for LA.

Jinsell

May 11, 2007
Zarley Zalapski, John Cullen, and Jeff Parker for Ron Francis, Ulf Samuelsson, and Grant Jennings.

This looks ridiculously lopsided now, but at the time that it happened the deal appeared fairly even. In fact, some pundits believed Hartford was getting the better end of the deal.

Ron Francis had been stripped of the Whalers' captaincy by Rick Ley and was having somewhat of a down year. Meanwhile, John Cullen was wracking up points with the Penguins, having scored 31 goals and 94 points 65 games when the trade was made. This wasn't the first time Cullen had surpassed the 30-goal or 90-point mark either as he had done so in 1989-90. Some felt the Penguins were making a big mistake parting with one of the league's top scorers. As it turned out, the change of scenery was just what Francis needed. Cullen, on the other hand, couldn't maintain the same scoring pace in Hartford. He put up a solid season in 1991-92 but it was nothing like what he had done in Pittsburgh and injuries started to hamper his career. Considering that he eventually ended up back in Pittsburgh by 1994-95, it goes without saying the Pens made the right move.

In the case of Ulf Samuelsson and Zarley Zalapski you're basically looking at a swap of a skilled, offensive defense man for a more physical stay at home defense man. Both guys were roughly of equal trade value at the time, but I think from a Pittsburgh perspective Zalapski became expendable when Larry Murphy was acquired from Minnesota in December 1990. The Penguins needed to beef up their blue line after having parted with Jim Johnson and Chris Dahlquist in that trade with the North Stars and Samuelsson was ideal.

As for Grant Jennings and Jeff Parker, well...the Penguins got 248 games (regular season and playoffs) out of Jennings while the Whalers only got 4 NHL games out of Parker...'nuff said.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Thats the kind of trade that sets back a franchise 5 years

And yet the Jackets not only recovered, we've become even more competitive as a result of that recovery action. Seriously, Scott Howson is extremely underrated as a GM.

* * *​
CBJ was able to get hosed on 2 Jeff Carter deals in one season!

:biglaugh: :lol: :laugh:

The first one was bad. But JJ's infectious attitude was directly responsible for the team turnaround. And Dano's looking pretty good as a prospect. :)

And for the record, I am utterly shocked that nobody's mentioned the Bobrovsky trade yet. I mean, that's like a major recent textbook example of going from "meh, whatever" to "OMFG PHILLY EPIC FAIL" when he won the Vezina.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Everyone says Gomez to MTL for the Rangers newest C….I really don't see what can top that. Like ever.

To make it even worse, McDonagh at the time was not even the best piece coming our way, according to us. 5 other players were involved in that trade.

hris

ChristianFuchsApolog
Jun 8, 2014
To make it even worse, McDonagh at the time was not even the best piece coming our way, according to us. 5 other players were involved in that trade.
Sather had compromising photographs of Gainey, so that obviously doesn't count (trade was VERY reasonable from a Gainey POV).

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
And yet the Jackets not only recovered, we've become even more competitive as a result of that recovery action. Seriously, Scott Howson is extremely underrated as a GM.

* * *​

:biglaugh: :lol: :laugh:

The first one was bad. But JJ's infectious attitude was directly responsible for the team turnaround. And Dano's looking pretty good as a prospect. :)

And for the record, I am utterly shocked that nobody's mentioned the Bobrovsky trade yet. I mean, that's like a major recent textbook example of going from "meh, whatever" to "OMFG PHILLY EPIC FAIL" when he won the Vezina.

Howson did some great work for the Jackets. He should be the GM in Edmonton over Mac T.

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
Lessen to all GMs don't trade players with the last name Forsberg and if one comes around draft him.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
- Del Zotto (NYR) for Klein (NSH)
- Gomez (NYR) for McDonagh (MTL) in a 7-player trade
- Rozsival (NYR) for Wolski (PHX)
- Gaborik (NYR) for Brassard, Dorsett, Moore (CLB)

These are the most lopsided trades of the Rangers I can think of over the last few years.

The Rangers won the first two, and lost the third. Both trades with Columbus, however, appear to have netted equal value for everyone. Scott Howson is the one guy who had Glen Sather's number. He won the Tyutin trade, and the Gaborik and Nash trades are pushes.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Jonathan Bernier for Ben Scrivens, Matt Frattin and a 2nd round pick

Bernier has been a bonafide #1 for the Leafs, Scrivens played 19 games and got traded for a 3rd round pick, Frattin couldn't crack the roster and a 2nd round pick is a 2nd round pick.

I don't doubt that Dean Lombardi knew how good Bernier was too, such is the market for unproven goalies though I guess.

Really? Have you heard of a goalie named Jonathan Quick? He's done pretty well, although he plays in L.A., so you may be asleep by the time his games start.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Joe Mullen to the Pens for a second (#26-Nicolas Perreault)

Mullen was a beast for the Pens.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
This looks ridiculously lopsided now, but at the time that it happened the deal appeared fairly even. In fact, some pundits believed Hartford was getting the better end of the deal.

Ron Francis had been stripped of the Whalers' captaincy by Rick Ley and was having somewhat of a down year. Meanwhile, John Cullen was wracking up points with the Penguins, having scored 31 goals and 94 points 65 games when the trade was made. This wasn't the first time Cullen had surpassed the 30-goal or 90-point mark either as he had done so in 1989-90. Some felt the Penguins were making a big mistake parting with one of the league's top scorers. As it turned out, the change of scenery was just what Francis needed. Cullen, on the other hand, couldn't maintain the same scoring pace in Hartford. He put up a solid season in 1991-92 but it was nothing like what he had done in Pittsburgh and injuries started to hamper his career. Considering that he eventually ended up back in Pittsburgh by 1994-95, it goes without saying the Pens made the right move.

In the case of Ulf Samuelsson and Zarley Zalapski you're basically looking at a swap of a skilled, offensive defense man for a more physical stay at home defense man. Both guys were roughly of equal trade value at the time, but I think from a Pittsburgh perspective Zalapski became expendable when Larry Murphy was acquired from Minnesota in December 1990. The Penguins needed to beef up their blue line after having parted with Jim Johnson and Chris Dahlquist in that trade with the North Stars and Samuelsson was ideal.

As for Grant Jennings and Jeff Parker, well...the Penguins got 248 games (regular season and playoffs) out of Jennings while the Whalers only got 4 NHL games out of Parker...'nuff said.

Ya, Cullen was leading the team in points and had put together back to back 90+ point seasons before the trade.

Zalapski was an up and coming blueline star.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Atlanta traded Braydon Coburn to Philadelphia for Alexei Zhitnik

Flyers traded Mark Recchi and a 3rd TO Montreal for John Leclair, Eric Desjardins and Gilbert Dionne. the 3rd rounder ended up being the immortal Martin Hohenberger

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Fillip Forsberg for Martin erat...

No idea what the caps were thinking there.

Ryan McDonagh for Scot Gomez

Klein for Del Sotto

Cory Schneider for a 1st. That's a steal for a #1 goaltender

Seguin for Erikkson will always be up there as well

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
The Rangers won the first two, and lost the third. Both trades with Columbus, however, appear to have netted equal value for everyone. Scott Howson is the one guy who had Glen Sather's number. He won the Tyutin trade, and the Gaborik and Nash trades are pushes.

In short that trade can be summarized this way for the rangers:

Gaborik became Nash

Dubinsky became Brassard

Erixon became John Moore

We lost a 1st and anisimov on top of those swaps, then acquired Dorsett, which added some negative value though dorsett was a great player and I miss him on the 4th line.

Brassard has become a bona fide #2 centerman, and Nash has become a 2 way 35+ goal scorer that is active in every shift. Its amazing to see.

Dubinsky has been stellar for the jackets, and anisimov is a solid 3C... I think it ended up being equal value in the end. Dubs was rub out of town by tortorella, and we were able to replace 3C with Brassard off the bat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad