Speculation: What to do with Patty Maroon

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
He signed a cheap 1 year deal to prove he belonged on this team in the off-season and had a rough first half of the year. Most of this board wanted to run him out of town and were very vocal about it before, during & after many games. He started to turn it around in January (about the same time the rest of the team clicked) and consistently played better through the end of the season. Then he comes up big in the playoffs and imo was one of our better players in games 1-6. So while we have a few days to kill before the next series is underway, did he prove he deserves a deal to remain in the Note? Does Army re-sign Pat, and what kind of deal do you think he gets if they do sign him.

Lets Go Blues!

Last edited:

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island
He signed a cheap 1 year deal to prove he belonged on this team in the off-season and had a rough first half of the year. Most of this board wanted to run him out of town and were very vocal about it before, during & after many games. He started to turn it around in January (about the same time the rest of the team clicked) and consistently played better through the end of the season. Then he comes up big in the playoffs and imo was one of our better players in games 1-6. So while he have a few days to kill before the next series is underway, did he prove he deserves a deal to remain in the Note? Does Army re-sign Pat, and what kind of deal do you think he gets if they do sign him.

Lets Go Blues!
I think he might want more money than we can afford to give him. We still have to resign Schenn and Petro. I like Big Rig, he's been good during the playoffs so far and if he wants to give us the home town discount then I say resign him. But only if we can extend Schenn and Petro as well

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Depends what type of money he asks for. But yes, I'd be interested in bringing him back on another 1-year deal. Maybe 2 years if it keeps the cap hit lower.

He's turned his game around, seems like a good guy in the room, and plays an important heavy game that it looks like nobody will be able to replace anytime soon unless we find someone else in UFA. He's filled a nice role.

Reactions: STLomacneko

A Real Barn Burner

Apr 25, 2016
I’d say he on the list to be resigned but not near the top. Ink Petro sand Schenn extension if possible then figure out how much maroon wants. If you can’t resign Petro and Schenn before hand I wouldn’t want to go over a year long deal

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
I wanted Maroon resigned before the playoffs, want him back more now.

Local guy and I never thought he was as bad as people would bash on him here for. Plus you know he will take a hometown discount. I would offer a 2 year deal with a decent pay raise. 2yr 5-6 million

LGB51

Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
I wanted Maroon resigned before the playoffs, want him back more now.

Local guy and I never thought he was as bad as people would bash on him here for. Plus you know he will take a hometown discount. I would offer a 2 year deal with a decent pay raise. 2yr 5-6 million
I know myself & @Dbrownss were pretty vocal about wanting Maroon gone. But after the last 25 or so games of the season and what he brought to this series I'll eat a big bunch of crow. I've done a 180 on Pat, I'm with you I want him back for 2 more years and he's earned a good boost in pay.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Same here. I really wanted him gone, but he has been a solid addition for the 3rd line.

The Grouch

Jan 31, 2009
I think there are a lot of questions that the Blues need to find answers for before they decide if they should bring Maroon back.

1. Do the Blues project Brayden Schenn to be playing at center or at wing in 19-20?
2. Do the Blues project Robert Thomas to be playing at center or at wing in 19-20?
3. Does Jordan Kyrou project to be a serious contender for a roster spot in 19-20?
4. What will Robbi Fabbri's role be moving forward?
5. Will the Blues be looking to make moves to relieve cap space, perhaps with an eye toward Petro/Schenn contracts?
- a. Would the Blues consider trying to move Alex Steen during the offseason?
6. Is Ivan Barbashev the Russian Jesus? Just kidding, everyone already knows the answer to that question. He is!

Tarasenko, O'Reilly, Schwartz, Schenn, Perron, Bozak, Thomas, Steen, Sundqvist, and Barbashev. Those ten players Maroon wouldn't/shouldn't supplant on the roster.

If the Blues don't move Steen and want Kyrou and Fabbri to play the bulk of the games next season then the Blues can't really afford to pay Maroon as a top nine player. Certainly not for multiple years.

Beyond that if the Blues do find a spot for him, or can get him signed to another bargain contract, I agree with @BlueDream that Maroon's heavy game and toughness is all but irreplaceable from within(save a drastic step forward in Blais' development).

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I know myself & @Dbrownss were pretty vocal about wanting Maroon gone. But after the last 25 or so games of the season and what he brought to this series I'll eat a big bunch of crow. I've done a 180 on Pat, I'm with you I want him back for 2 more years and he's earned a good boost in pay.
I'm very happy with Maroon, and his playoff game IS on another level. If they dont force his roster spot, I'm happy to see him return. He was a factor for the Blues in the playoffs

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Congratulation on your win . I will be cheering for you guys to get your first cup . I find your fans are a good bunch and lets face it every team got players another teams fan base would like to have so for me to like a team it is base on how classy their fan base is . St Louis fans have always shown class while other have bash Edmonton .

Good luck the rest of the way . Now go kick some ass and win yourself a cup !

Now for the Op

Maroon is a real good guy . His last year in Edmonton he started slow as well . I think some of these bigger player just take a while to get going plus he was on a new team with a different system ( This year ). I real wish we could have moved Lucic and kept Maroon . He is also a smart player who could play with McDavid and not all player can do that .

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
We shouldn't be offering him more than 2 years and more than $2.5m per. At that point I think we're still at the stage where he is exploring free agency and only coming back if he can't find anything better. His expectations last summer were a lot higher than that.

We are going to have a lot of cap flexibility going into the summer, but we have to be keeping an eye on 2020 when we'll have up to 6 players getting decent raises and Bouwmeester the only significant salary coming off, and there is a decent chance we'll want to sign him again.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I've never really been against Maroon because he produced well for his price. He also seems like a good guy that loves this team. Maybe not as much as Perron but you know not everyone can be perfect.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Hey guys, Devils fan here. Congrats on the series win. In regards to Maroon, he wants to stay with St. Louis. He took way less money and term to come play for St Louis so that he could spend more time with his kid for this season. I would be willing to bet that you wouldn’t have to pay him that much for him to come back

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Hey guys, Devils fan here. Congrats on the series win. In regards to Maroon, he wants to stay with St. Louis. He took way less money and term to come play for St Louis so that he could spend more time with his kid for this season. I would be willing to bet that you wouldn’t have to pay him that much for him to come back
That's not really how it played out. If he was desperate to come back to St. Louis then the deal would have been done on July 1. The reality is that he got terrible advice from his agent, didn't get the offers that he wanted/expected and had to settle for a short term deal in the hope he'd get what he wanted this summer. Which is why he fired his agent a couple of weeks into July and then signed here.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I’m all for bringing him back. I agree with Dizee that I never thought he was as bad as others made it out to be especially considering what he signed for.

That last part is key because it’s going to matter.

The top priority is figuring out what we do with Brayden Schenn. After that, Jordan Binnington. After that, Alex Pietrangelo.

He’s gotta wait until that is done and then we can reassess. Can we move Allen? How cheap are the deals for Fabbri and Edmundson?

If we can get him for like... 2 years and 2.75 mil per, yeah I’d probably do that, but I’m not doing anything until the big stuff is taken care of first.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I think Barbashev can replace Maroon’s role. I don’t think it’s worth paying a premium for Maroon’s services (2x2.5M). If we can get Maroon for a steal then I think he’s worth keeping around. Personally, I’d rather run this next year:

Perron O’Reilly Tarasenko
Schwartz Schenn Fabbri
Sundqvist Bozak Thomas
Steen Barbashev Blais

There really isn’t room for Maroon when healthy, and I think we should also be looking to add another top-6 RW scorer.

Reactions: BangarangxRufio

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Everything over 4mill.$ AAV is overpaid and bad contract even its 1-year deal. 2-years would be ideal I don't see him keeping up this volum and speed which is even now problematic.

Maroon is our best board players, but after that area I don't see him being that big thing for us. Crazy to say, but Berglund did bring same kind of possession like Maroon and Berglund was far more versatile then Maroon.

Bring Berglund back next off-season if its possible.

Reactions: jura

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I’m all for bringing him back. I agree with Dizee that I never thought he was as bad as others made it out to be especially considering what he signed for.

That last part is key because it’s going to matter.

The top priority is figuring out what we do with Brayden Schenn. After that, Jordan Binnington. After that, Alex Pietrangelo.

He’s gotta wait until that is done and then we can reassess. Can we move Allen? How cheap are the deals for Fabbri and Edmundson?

If we can get him for like... 2 years and 2.75 mil per, yeah I’d probably do that, but I’m not doing anything until the big stuff is taken care of first.
That doesnt really matter though. He was not good for a large chunk of the season. Turns out patience was a good thing this season because he proved to be valuable down the stretch and so far in the post season.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I still think we’ll end up trading a forward like Fabbri or Blais along with Eddy for an upgrade at LD. If that happens, I can see us bringing back Maroon or picking up another UFA forward.

If he wants too much money though, I’d rather just sign Ferland. He’s a better, faster version of Maroon.

Perron-O’Reilly-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Thomas-Schenn
Maroon/Ferland-Bozak-Kyrou
Steen/Fabbri-Barbashev-Sundqvist

TBD-Pietrangelo
Bouwmeester-Parayko
Dunn-Bortuzzo

Last edited:

Saint Loser

"(they) are unavoidably unsafe" - SCOTUS
Mar 16, 2018
I was on board with ridding ourselves of Maroon and am still on board with that.

He proved his worth in the second half of the season, but there will be no room for him unless other moves are made.

Also, what if he shits the bed again in the first half of next season?

Reactions: BangarangxRufio

LGB51

Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
I was on board with ridding ourselves of Maroon and am still on board with that.

He proved his worth in the second half of the season, but there will be no room for him unless other moves are made.

Also, what if he ****s the bed again in the first half of next season?
I'm willing to give him the benefit of doubt that like the rest of the team it took him a while to gel with his new teammates & a new system to answer your question at the end there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad