Speculation: What to do with Patty Maroon

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Everything over 4mill.$ AAV is overpaid and bad contract even its 1-year deal. 2-years would be ideal I don't see him keeping up this volum and speed which is even now problematic.

Maroon is our best board players, but after that area I don't see him being that big thing for
Crazy to say, but Berglund did bring same kind of possession like Maroon and Berglund was far more versatile then Maroon.

Bring Berglund back next off-season if its possible.[

:confused::eek::amazed::eek2::scared:

2z4z5j.jpg

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
I know myself & @Dbrownss were pretty vocal about wanting Maroon gone. But after the last 25 or so games of the season and what he brought to this series I'll eat a big bunch of crow. I've done a 180 on Pat, I'm with you I want him back for 2 more years and he's earned a good boost in pay.

I really love his play behind the net. Very rarely does he lose the puck when back there draws the other team down there which opens up room for our forwards. I am not a fan of his speed but with Thomas and bozak he meshes very well. Also is the mouth like Reaves and ott but way more skilled.

I agree with the consensus. Resign him but only after petro schenn are resigned. We also have the following rfas.

Fabbri, Blais, sunds, sandford, barbashev, Edmondson, binnington,

In my opinion we should sign them in order of importance

Bennington
Petro
Schenn
Edmondson
Sunds
Maroon
Barbashev
Fabbri
Blais
Sandford.

Reactions: STLomacneko

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I am starting to really like Maroon. I liked the way he was chirping in Byfuglien's ear all series long and yet was smart enough to stay out of the box. He is an agitator, (which I know some posters hate), but that kind of player can be really useful in the playoffs. I hope he does the same thing to either Subban or Benn. I get that signing him has its risks, but I like what he brings.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
It would be really cool if Maroon would take a generous one year deal, like Bouwmeester. Lots of bonuses, maybe an NTC ... I don't know how realistic that is, however.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I’d reserve 2x2.5 for him. Personally I don’t see signing him as big of a priority of figuring out what Sunny, Barry and Binner are worth as well as extending Schenn/Pietro.

I don’t know what we realistically do with Eddy and Fabbri. Fabbri hasn’t really gotten a fair shot especially while needing time to get back in the swing of things. It’s hard to actually pencil him into a lineup regardless right now outside of reserving a press box spot for him and hoping that he jumps out and takes the job from someone. Still probably shouldn’t give him over a million right now. Eddy hasn’t been great this year either, however he does bring an element to the game that DA seems to value and seems to be good for the locker room. However, what do we pay him? I would steer clear of over 4m at term. That’s the type of contract that could bite us in the ass if he strings together multiple campaigns like this one and not the previous season.

The real question is can we afford to pay out 2-3m for Maroon and not lose an integral piece to our lineup? I would say that Maroon returning or not will heavily depend on whether or not Steen is returning and whether or not Thomas/Schenn will be a 2C. Depending on who moves to where. I don’t see how we cannot try very hard to ensure Barbie and Sunny return before Maroon.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I'm 100% ok with giving maroon a 1yr contract @ 3-4mill.... 2 yrs scares me.... I don't see the foot speed improving....if anything, it could get worse, luv how he's playing rn.....scared of how he could look after next season tho...

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I'm willing to give him the benefit of doubt that like the rest of the team it took him a while to gel with his new teammates & a new system to answer your question at the end there.

And he shouldn't be recovering from back surgery either so a slow start shouldn't look as bad as last year's start .

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
Evolving Wild has Pat Maroon at 4yrs, 4.25 million as their projection. I don't think he's done enough in the eyes of the league to garner that this season. I would imagine he'd take a discount to play around here. Would think he's gonna get a 3 mill for 3 years, personally. Blues can afford it and wouldn't be too decimated by that salary. Worth it in my opinion.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Give him the $1M that Jerabek makes plus his current that would be $2.750M which I'd say would about the max we can afford to give him.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
I really love his play behind the net. Very rarely does he lose the puck when back there draws the other team down there which opens up room for our forwards. I am not a fan of his speed but with Thomas and bozak he meshes very well. Also is the mouth like Reaves and ott but way more skilled.

I agree with the consensus. Resign him but only after petro schenn are resigned. We also have the following rfas.

Fabbri, Blais, sunds, sandford, barbashev, Edmondson, binnington,

In my opinion we should sign them in order of importance

Bennington
Petro
Schenn
Edmondson
Sunds
Maroon
Barbashev
Fabbri
Blais
Sandford.

Sundqvist has priority over Edmundson. Edmundson plays a more premium position, but Sundqvist has been worlds better than him all year long.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Give him the $1M that Jerabek makes plus his current that would be $2.750M which I'd say would about the max we can afford to give him.

He's 30. How long is he a serviceable player for? 4 more years, maybe? How would it look if the blues gave him 1.25 per for 8 years? 10M but really thinned out per year for cap. So instead of 4 X 2.5 you give him 8 years. He can be LTIR'd if he gets broken, or if he's an AHL player in 4 years, you're only paying like 300K in cap penalties to send him down. Looks like he's earned 9.5M over his career thus far.

I'm not saying I would do this but just curious if you could get a hometown guy like Maroon on a long term deal like that. He still gets his money, and the cap is pretty much nothing. Although the Seattle expansion would probably make this a no on his end, if he could just get snagged in two years.

Reactions: mk80

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I like Maroon, but he'll probably want a 2-3 year deal. That could block Fabbri from top 9 minutes, Kyrou from coming up, and Kostin in the second year and maybe even a Bokk callup. Thanks Pat for your discount and playoffs, but I think we need to get some more youth and speed into the lineup. Look how Thomas has blossomed. I'd think the same could happen with Kyrou.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Pat would 100% take a hometown discount aslong as its fair and not a lowball offer.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Cut bait. He’s entirely replaceable. He hasn’t helped the PP at all and is two steps behind the play at all times. He’s a super lite Berglund with some grit.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
If he wants to take the Bouwmeester 1 year special, sure. But I wouldn’t commit to even two years.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
I'm 100% ok with giving maroon a 1yr contract @ 3-4mill.... 2 yrs scares me.... I don't see the foot speed improving....if anything, it could get worse, luv how he's playing rn.....scared of how he could look after next season tho...
I think 2.5 would be the limit for 2 years.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Wow, great posts everyone, thanks it's made this a fun read.
It’s a good thread, as Maroon will actually be one of the more interesting Blues players to keep an eye on this offseason.

Gunnarsson might walk, but probably everyone else will be back. So Maroon is the one wild card that I’m not sure about yet.

Luckily, hopefully we have another 2 months to evaluate him. ;)

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
I wouldn't be against trying to deal Fabbri to Edmonton for their 2nd if Harley or Kokkonen fall.
I really dont think Trading fabbri is the best idea, But if we could get Harley i would be ok with it. Wonder if we could package something with fabbri to get thier first. SInce they lack any depth what so ever. Most likely not but a thought.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
The second you trade McDavid's best friend to McDavid's team....you will regret it within the first month as he becomes a ppg player on that team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->