Speculation: What to do with Patty Maroon

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
First off no way in hell should they Fabbri, period.

I do love what Maroon brings right now though, great size, hands, can battle and be effective down low and score dirty goals and is perfect fit with Bozie and Thomas. He's also a damn good fighter and can throw down if need be, that's a really nice element to have out there - especially in the playoffs. So I sincerely hope Maroon gets re-signed but only if its a another 1 year deal around 2-3mil...something along those lines. Maaaaybe a two year deal but there is alot of talented youth about to emerge soon, he's gotta know there is a good chance he gets bumped at some point. Maybe he'd be okay with that to play on a great team and stay in St. Louis.

RaleighBlues

Feb 18, 2019
Raleigh, NC
I’ve been impressed with how smart Maroon has played. He’s been tough on the puck, aggressive, but hasn’t engaged and taken stupid penalties when baited (Buff anyone?).

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
he'd have to have a heck of a playoffs to get resigned after an entire season of mediocrity

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Maroon got better and better as he got healthier. Definitely want to keep him. No one else on the roster does what he does. Enforcer, net front presence, occasional playmaker.

I think the Blues can afford 2 x $2.5 million - home town discount.

ZigZagBluesFan

Sep 30, 2010
Count me in as another person who has really come to appreciate what Maroon has brought to this team. He's a big, physical presence and that Thomas-Bozak-Maroon line looks like an absolute pain in the ass to play against. When they're not scoring they're still wearing down their opponents down low.

I'd like to see Patty back on a 2-year deal. He's earned it.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Say they make a serious run this year. There is something to be said for feeling like the team is close to the right formula. Does that change the likelihood that they try to keep Maroon?

I don't really see a player that is going to replace his role: strong on the boards, mixing it up in the crease, strong possession, and physically able to withstand the league's biggest defenders. Saying that "Kyrou will be ready for a spot" doesn't really give me an image of a team that has all the necessary ingredients. Anyway, because of that I think its more likely than not that the Blues will re-sign him, and that many on here will not be happy with how much they pay him.

Reactions: STLomacneko

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Say they make a serious run this year. There is something to be said for feeling like the team is close to the right formula. Does that change the likelihood that they try to keep Maroon?

I don't really see a player that is going to replace his role: strong on the boards, mixing it up in the crease, strong possession, and physically able to withstand the league's biggest defenders. Saying that "Kyrou will be ready for a spot" doesn't really give me an image of a team that has all the necessary ingredients. Anyway, because of that I think its more likely than not that the Blues will re-sign him, and that many on here will not be happy with how much they pay him.
Barbashev does those things. Maybe not as well in all categories, but he is a better, and cheaper, overall player.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Barbashev does those things. Maybe not as well in all categories, but he is a better, and cheaper, overall player.
I really don't see Barbashev and Maroon as comparable players though.

Barbashev is a 4th-line center. He can move up when injuries occur, but I really doubt the Blues plan on playing him elsewhere. He's a fast PK'er that can play the body and score some goals, yes.

He really doesn't hold the puck down low, cycle, mix it up and go to the front of the net like Maroon does.

I like Barbashev a lot but I don't really see how he's relevant in a Maroon discussion because not only do they play different games but they also play different positions, so they're not in competition with each other.

Perron-ROR-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Sundqvist
X-Bozak-Thomas
X-Barbashev-Steen

Those are the 10 guys that, barring an unforeseen shocking trade, have a spot for sure in the lineup next season. The lines may be different, but I'm using the current ones as a placeholder just to make it easier to visualize. Battling for those 2 winger spots would be Maroon, Fabbri, Kyrou, Blais, MacEachern, Sanford. Keep in mind, this also isn't including the 2 extra forward spots that guys like Mac, Blais and Sanford, for example, could certainly hold until they prove they are every night players. So we could take them out of the equation.

So basically let's say Fabbri gets a spot, as I'm sure he probably will, and then that would leave one open for Maroon to battle with Kyrou, essentially. The Blues would have to be sure that Kyrou is ready to just let Maroon walk. Even if Kyrou is ready, it wouldn't hurt him to start in the AHL and then be called up when needed. Also, Kyrou obviously provides a different role than Maroon so the Blues would have to be comfortable to completely lose Maroon's sandpaper in all aspects in favor of a softer player like JK.

All in all, this was a really long way of saying that it's pretty clear there is a spot for both Maroon and Barbashev IMO. The Blues' other young players like Mac, Blais, Sanford, etc. are the ones that would have to make Maroon expendable. But so far, I don't think any of them have really done that. Fabbri still being a question mark doesn't exactly help either.

Reactions: STLomacneko and LGB

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If Maroon plays like this all post-season and is fine with a reasonable deal, then I'd be fine with bringing him back. We'll need to make some decisions to clear up some logjams though.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I really don't see Barbashev and Maroon as comparable players though.

Barbashev is a 4th-line center. He can move up when injuries occur, but I really doubt the Blues plan on playing him elsewhere. He's a fast PK'er that can play the body and score some goals, yes.

He really doesn't hold the puck down low, cycle, mix it up and go to the front of the net like Maroon does.

I like Barbashev a lot but I don't really see how he's relevant in a Maroon discussion because not only do they play different games but they also play different positions, so they're not in competition with each other.

Perron-ROR-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Sundqvist
X-Bozak-Thomas
X-Barbashev-Steen

Those are the 10 guys that, barring an unforeseen shocking trade, have a spot for sure in the lineup next season. The lines may be different, but I'm using the current ones as a placeholder just to make it easier to visualize. Battling for those 2 winger spots would be Maroon, Fabbri, Kyrou, Blais, MacEachern, Sanford. Keep in mind, this also isn't including the 2 extra forward spots that guys like Mac, Blais and Sanford, for example, could certainly hold until they prove they are every night players. So we could take them out of the equation.

So basically let's say Fabbri gets a spot, as I'm sure he probably will, and then that would leave one open for Maroon to battle with Kyrou, essentially. The Blues would have to be sure that Kyrou is ready to just let Maroon walk. Even if Kyrou is ready, it wouldn't hurt him to start in the AHL and then be called up when needed. Also, Kyrou obviously provides a different role than Maroon so the Blues would have to be comfortable to completely lose Maroon's sandpaper in all aspects in favor of a softer player like JK.

All in all, this was a really long way of saying that it's pretty clear there is a spot for both Maroon and Barbashev IMO. The Blues' other young players like Mac, Blais, Sanford, etc. are the ones that would have to make Maroon expendable. But so far, I don't think any of them have really done that. Fabbri still being a question mark doesn't exactly help either.

Once Steen isn't injured, he'll be taking the spot on the 3rd.

Unless we run the exact same lineup as this year (no Kyrou, no addition to the top-9, or preferably the top-6 to push Sundqvist down), we don't really need Maroon. Barbashev more consistently provides enough of what Maroon has brought over a short sample-size for a much cheaper AAV. Barbashev does have a cycle game that has been consistently better than Maroon's this season, and I don't think Maroon is even a good net-front guy. Barbashev puts the beef on the bun more than Maroon does, in my opinion, and I'm not even a Barbashev fan.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Once Steen isn't injured, he'll be taking the spot on the 3rd.

Unless we run the exact same lineup as this year (no Kyrou, no addition to the top-9, or preferably the top-6 to push Sundqvist down), we don't really need Maroon. Barbashev more consistently provides enough of what Maroon has brought over a short sample-size for a much cheaper AAV. Barbashev does have a cycle game that has been consistently better than Maroon's this season, and I don't think Maroon is even a good net-front guy. Barbashev puts the beef on the bun more than Maroon does, in my opinion, and I'm not even a Barbashev fan.
Guess we will have to agree to disagree because I’m just not seeing the similarities at all.

Also, since when is Steen injured? I think it’s a mistake to be counting on him as a top 9 player moving forward. He’s similar to Barbie in that he can move up if needed but if those two are on your 3rd line permanently, your depth probably isn’t good enough. Steen looks like a good 4th liner these next 2 years and not much more than that due to his age.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I think Maroon has been one of the reasons for the Blues turnaround. He’s been great. He brings an element we don’t have.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Screen Shot 2019-04-24 at 7.22.07 PM.png

Here is an estimate of what the roster will look like this offseason after we sign players I think we are almost guaranteed to sign (barring trades). I got these numbers more or less using these projections, and erred on the side of overpayment. With these contracts and the salary cap rising to 83,000,000 we would have 6,475,000 to sign one more forward and a 7th defenseman. The next year though, we will have a pretty tough cap crunch as we have to re-sign Petro, Schenn, and Dunn. We should be able to afford that with minimal changes though assuming we do not re-sign Bouwmeester and are able to trade away a contract like Allen, Steen, or Bozak.

I think we could sign Maroon for something like 3m x 2 years. These projections have him getting a longer and heftier contract, but I think they are overestimating it by a bit due to his 27 goal season alongside McDavid. If he wants more $ or term than that I'd be hesitant.

Last edited:

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Maroon's season has been similar to Bouwmeester's. Both looked awful in the early going, but they got better, a lot better.

Maroon has a lot of left wing competition for next season. Signing him will complicate the situation. I like Blais. I see potential in Sanford ( I know I'm out on a limb here) and his time as prospect is running out. Where does Fabbri play? Weren't we impressed by MacEachern?

The rest of the playoffs will tell the story. If the Blues go far and Maroon is a factor, he will probably be re-signed. If not, the Blues may want a younger player to be able to win a job and improve the team.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
View attachment 220527

Here is an estimate of what the roster will look like this offseason after we sign players I think we are almost guaranteed to sign (barring trades). I got these numbers more or less using these projections, and erred on the side of overpayment. With these contracts and the salary cap rising to 83,000,000 we would have 6,475,000 to sign one more forward and a 7th defenseman. The next year though, we will have a pretty tough cap crunch as we have to re-sign Petro, Schenn, and Dunn. We should be able to afford that with minimal changes though assuming we do not re-sign Bouwmeester and are able to trade away a contract like Allen, Steen, or Bozak.

I think we could sign Maroon for something like 3m x 2 years. These projections have him getting a longer and heftier contract, but I think they are overestimating it by a bit due to his 27 goal season alongside McDavid. If he wants more $ or term than that I'd be hesitant.
No way Edmundson gets $4.9mm next year. He's been terrible much of the year. He may be back but at where JayBo just signed for or less would seem to be top of range where makes sense. So that creates additional space.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
No way Edmundson gets $4.9mm next year. He's been terrible much of the year. He may be back but at where JayBo just signed for or less would seem to be top of range where makes sense. So that creates additional space.
I don't think he'll make that much. Better to overestimate than underestimate.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Apologize, eat crow, cheer!
He scored a big goal in the playoffs, but that doesn't really change who he is. If he'll take another hometown discount then it might be worth exploring, but if he wants anything substantial we should let him go. Troy Brouwer scored a big playoff goal once upon a time too, and despite much hand wringing around here when he walked, we pretty clearly dodged that bullet. Guys like Maroon can be found every offseason via free agency or trading a small asset. He's not somebody to lock up for the future because he scored a big goal.

yogintheaveragebears

May 23, 2015
Oh I absolutely agree we shouldn’t break the bank on him but I think your selling him short. Scored one big goal this series? Sure. But why would we leave out last series? I also don’t think it’s as easy as you say to find playoff contributors in free agency. In fact I think it’s quite the opposite, I think you find the right player slim to none to turn it up in the post season. But I agree the bank should not be thrown at him. All I’m saying is the kid (who is my age) is doing more than any of us every thought possible. Kudos Pat Maroon!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad