Speculation: What to do with Patty Maroon

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Oh I absolutely agree we shouldn’t break the bank on him but I think your selling him short. Scored one big goal this series? Sure. But why would we leave out last series? I also don’t think it’s as easy as you say to find playoff contributors in free agency. In fact I think it’s quite the opposite, I think you find the right player slim to none to turn it up in the post season. But I agree the bank should not be thrown at him. All I’m saying is the kid (who is my age) is doing more than any of us every thought possible. Kudos Pat Maroon!
Last series he had one goal too. I don't really think he's amped it up in the playoffs. He's pretty much continued his second half play into the playoffs, which is fine, certainly better than his first half play, but nothing spectacular. It was a big goal a huge time, and I'm thrilled for him and the team, it just doesn't really change my position on him going forward. Now if he was having a Jaden Schwartz level playoffs that would be a different story.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I don’t think Maroon is likely to be this effective next year in the playoffs. I take this as a “quit while you’re ahead situation”. Unless we can get him dirt cheap and he’s fine with being in the fourth line at least during the regular season, and okay with sitting on ocassion for younger guys, I let him test FA first.

Reactions: Multigrain
Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
View attachment 220527

Here is an estimate of what the roster will look like this offseason after we sign players I think we are almost guaranteed to sign (barring trades). I got these numbers more or less using these projections, and erred on the side of overpayment. With these contracts and the salary cap rising to 83,000,000 we would have 6,475,000 to sign one more forward and a 7th defenseman. The next year though, we will have a pretty tough cap crunch as we have to re-sign Petro, Schenn, and Dunn. We should be able to afford that with minimal changes though assuming we do not re-sign Bouwmeester and are able to trade away a contract like Allen, Steen, or Bozak.

I think we could sign Maroon for something like 3m x 2 years. These projections have him getting a longer and heftier contract, but I think they are overestimating it by a bit due to his 27 goal season alongside McDavid. If he wants more $ or term than that I'd be hesitant.
4.9 per for Edmundson? Woof. I’d move him if that’s the ask. He’d be pushing to be worth that at his best and most certainly not anywhere near that given the year he just had.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I really don't think I'm selling Maroon short. He is what he is, though. He's a big body who chirps frequently and engages physically most nights, but doesn't bring much offensively. Those guys are not very difficult to find. I wouldn't want him for anything more than 2M or anything longer than 2 years. If he can do better on the open market then I wish him all the best. I just think his best years are behind him and even his best years weren't super effective. Can't commit to guys who are so easily replaceable every offseason. You choose your essential players and build around them, using cheap/replaceable parts like Maroon to supplement them along the way.

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura
Every time Maroon scores a goal, I'm not sure who is more surprised, me or him. I love his reactions, like the goal yesterday. He looks like, "Look what I did!"
In JR's article there's a quote from him saying basically he's been working on lifting the puck in practice from around the net like that and he was excited that it went in. Patty has that "boy who wants to make his city proud" energy and I cannot get enough of it

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
In JR's article there's a quote from him saying basically he's been working on lifting the puck in practice from around the net like that and he was excited that it went in. Patty has that "boy who wants to make his city proud" energy and I cannot get enough of it

Exactly, really happy it's working out for him this year after all the heat he's taken from fans. His teammates seen to love him and you need players like him. Sure he may be "replaceable" on the ice but why not keep the guy we have if he fired in well with this group.

As for what to do about Maroon, I say give him a high five! His gwg in the last game was almost worth his salary alone. I think everyone in both teams was shocked by that.

Reactions: JoshFromMO

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Pretty good quote about Maroon from someone labeled a "Western Conference Executive" in Freidman's 31 thoughts: “He’s a dinosaur, but there’s no one left who knows how to play against a dinosaur.” Even as someone who sees Maroon as pretty replaceable, this is definitely true. Guys really struggle to get the puck off his stick once he's along the boards down low.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
I was wondering when this thread would be bumped. Pat isn't a playoff point producing machine, but god damn are every one of his PO points huge so far. Captain Clutch Patty Maroon.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
When you see the Blues live there are 2 guys that are always entertaining between whistles or just hanging out on the bench. One is Bortuzzo who is forever keeping time with whatever music is on the PA system (super funny). The other is Pat Maroon who really, really......really appears to enjoy smelling salts and being a goofball. Love both of those guys even if they rarely get attention.

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island
I mean we have to sign him now, right? I just hope there's enough left over to resign Schenn and Petro (and Binnington is going to want some money).

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Maroon won two games for us this series with two huge goals, not to mention his puck possession skills along the boards! I'd say he earned his salary this series alone.
He just made the Blues how much money in playing at the least two more games at home? I'd give him a 2 year $1.5 mil a season contract full of performance incentives.

Reactions: STLomacneko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad