What to do with our Goalie Situation (poll)

Keep Markstrom and Trade Demko, or Let Marky walk and roll with Demko

• Total voters

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I agree cuz if demko faulters after 30 games next year as the starter then what?
I'd also like to get an asset out of this goalie controversy once again and by letting a valuable asset walk we ain't getting better.
But with the poor cap management this team isn’t able to add to get better which they clearly showed they need to do. They require a boatload of cap coming off in 2021 to extend Pettersson and Hughes. So really no long term deals for any type of cap hit this off season.

After the extensions to their two main guys can they finally then operate how teams should, pay your best then fit everyone else in afterwards.

Canucks are not winning anything until more help arrives. Right now that help can’t be expensive. So I don’t think the team is contending.

they may be able to move some guys out if they retain. Not ideal but I’d rather retain 50% on Eriksson or whatever I had to in order to do a Gagner for soooner deal where cap hit our equals cap hit in. Hope that $3 mill player can do better than Loui did.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Sure, contacts are obviously very important, as is age, but in March Demko was a struggling 24 year old goalie with a 905 svp, and it was really looking like the wheels of the Canucks, including Demko, were coming off. While injured, Markstrom was the uncontested MVP. Three games of great hockey since then really shouldn’t sway anyone’s decision on this. The sample size is laughably too small.

With that said, the real issue Is Benning’s total mismanaging of the cap, because if he didn’t commit tons of cap space to junk, then I can conceive of a situation where the Canucks re-sign Markstrom but don’t give him entry draft protection which would both given them stable goaltending in the near future but also allow them to ultimately go with Demko if he proves to be a franchise goalie.

Simply going with Demko at this point would be a massive risk as Demko could very easily end up not being an NHL starting goalie. While a long term contract to Markstrom could be disastrous, one could reasonably expect Markstrom to be a decent goalie for the next 2-3 years (and over that time, it’s perhaps more likely that Markstrom out performs Demko).

Again, as I stated earlier, I can’t really see how Benning doesn’t leverage Demko to get him out of a cap crunch, whether taking a massive gamble and going with Demko as the starter, or using Demko to unload a bad contract.

Agreed with your final statement. Demko's performance gives Benning options.

As to your other points:

I'm not sure it's easy to project Demko failing to become a starter? He finished with a .905 SV% getting spot duty while the 31st ranked starter put up a .909 SV%. Further, he has performed well as a starter in the AHL. Last, his tool set is better than a good chunk of starters in the NHL currently.

Given that information, I would place slim odds of him failing to become at least a bottom-end starter (31st overall).

This is not to say there isn't any risk. There's always a chance his development goes awry. But with the way they've structured contracts, this is the path that is open.

Again, it's not a decision made based upon 3 games. Had Demko not been shaky down the stretch, I was prepared to go with him as the starter next year. That stretch of play raised doubt. The recent stretch of play assuaged that doubt. On balance, he's a good enough talent to bet on.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I agree cuz if demko faulters after 30 games next year as the starter then what?

We keep playing him and see if he can handle the load. We will never know if we never try. All goalies start with a blank slate, and many question marks. They all will start with zero experience, it's what it is, and the team and management will have to live with the rewards or consequences.

And if demko craps the bed again like he did this year when he had to take over for the injured Markstrom.

the team in front of him wasn't playing to well either.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
We have went with this solution with an inconsistent Markstrom until he became this late bloomer and our patience paid off and the only consequences were we picked in the top ten and that's what I am leery about if we gamble.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I would prefer to sign Markstrom to a 3-4 year deal without an NMC, then trade him next year and let Demko become the starter then.

That seems like an unlikely option though.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah, it's really annoying how not giving Markstrom a stupidly overblown contract with an ironclad NMC is apparently not an option.
You could very well see him not sign a nmc with sat Carolina or Chicago because well they don’t have anyone else they’d protect over him. Vancouver not so much

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
demko

giphy.gif

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Well, if our cap space was managed right we would have no problem paying Markstrom. But it hasn’t been so we need to cut corners where we can. If we’re signing our 2 franchise players to 8 year deals we’re looking at a minimum of 10 million each. Going to be hard to afford as is; tacking on 6 or 7 million that Markstrom will command will make it damn near impossible to sign them while having any semblance of good depth. It’s been a nice run but it’s time to part ways with Marky.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
It depends om what it costs to sign Markstrom. 5 mill yes. 7 mill no. Very difficult to tell what the price would be in this market (i.e. 1 year to expansion draft and lots of goalies on the market).

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Well, if our cap space was managed right we would have no problem paying Markstrom. But it hasn’t been so we need to cut corners where we can. If we’re signing our 2 franchise players to 8 year deals we’re looking at a minimum of 10 million each. Going to be hard to afford as is; tacking on 6 or 7 million that Markstrom will command will make it damn near impossible to sign them while having any semblance of good depth. It’s been a nice run but it’s time to part ways with Marky.
Exactly. If they weren't cap-strapped for the worst possible reasons, they'd easily be able to pay Markstrom $5-$6m a season, and bring Demko back too. And they'd still be paying a lot less than most other teams for the best goaltending tandem in the league. Look at what the Habs are paying for Price and Allen.

But you wouldn't be a Canucks fan if you weren't bummed out by the fact they likely going to lose two of Markstrom, Tanev and Tofoli because of their cap situation.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Exactly. If they weren't cap-strapped for the worst possible reasons, they'd easily be able to pay Markstrom $5-$6m a season, and bring Demko back too. And they'd still be paying a lot less than most other teams for the best goaltending tandem in the league. Look at what the Habs are paying for Price and Allen.

But you wouldn't be a Canucks fan if you weren't bummed out by the fact they likely going to lose two of Markstrom, Tanev and Tofoli because of their cap situation.
That option works only if you are committed to Markstrom. And for him, the only way to have that promise set in stone is to have ED protection.
Like I say, I wouldn't be shocked to see him only with a NTC if he signed with Carolina. Like they would protect Mrazek/Reimer/Alex. N over him in an ED?

Markstrom is roughly the same age as Bishop was back in 2017. Bishop was 30, going on 31 at year end, whereas Markstrom turns 31 in January. So, all of a couple of months difference in age at the time of being a UFA.

Bishop's contract was 6 years, with NMC for the first 3, then an 8 team No Trade List for the final 3.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
If we have to pick one, I'm leaning towards Demko.

He was the reason we crashed our way into game 7.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
If we can get a top RHD prospect or top 12 pick, trade Demko. If not keep him. Also LOL to people saying sign Markstrom and trade him at the deadline. Not happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad