What to do with our Goalie Situation (poll)

Keep Markstrom and Trade Demko, or Let Marky walk and roll with Demko

• Total voters

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Since it’s overwhelming we as HF Canuck’s fans would rather let Marky walk and go with Demko, Benning will over pay to resign Marky, keep Demko for this season too, and lose Demko in expansion. Benning is terrible at asset management, so why would we expect anything else from the GM of the millennia? :thumbd:

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
The return on a Demko trade would have to be very good to merit trading him and retaining Marky. It would have to offset our future in net and also the higher caphit and risk signing an aging keeper to a long term contract. For me, that return would have to be similar to Schneider's in order to draft a dman that can play meaningful minutes soon. That or a young top 4 dman puckmover signed to a good contract for 2+ seasons.

Just can't see that being close to the actual return we would get for Demko.
I just look at it as this:
Markstrom + assets OR Demko + cap space.
Depending on the asset and the difference in cap space, that equation can go either way.
Long term seems like Demko fits into our "window" better, with EP and Hughes prime upcoming. It's a tough choice for Benning this off-season for sure.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Marky could play even better the next couple seasons, but the team won't be sniffing the conference finals, let alone the SCF.

Demko's age is a better fit with the current core. They could keep both this upcoming season (at least to the TDL), but they should keep Demko after that.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
None of the above. Sign Markstrom and explore trade options at the trade deadline for both. Go with the one that gives the best return (will need to have no NMC in Markstrom's deal). If neither are traded (unlikely) expose Markstrom in the expansion draft and hope that Seattle goes with another goaltender.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Love Marky but it’s probably time to move on. Go with Demko. Sign a cheap Veteran back up. Save whatever is left to fill out the roster.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
None of the above. Sign Markstrom and explore trade options at the trade deadline for both. Go with the one that gives the best return (will need to have no NMC in Markstrom's deal). If neither are traded (unlikely) expose Markstrom in the expansion draft and hope that Seattle goes with another goaltender.

That ought to make us a destination for free agents... Sign them to long term contracts, then trade them at the deadline for a couple picks, totally screwing over the UFA's choice of destination.

If Markstrom wants to come back for a discount, reasonable term and no expansion draft protection? Sure. That's not happening though. He will be signed on the first day of UFA.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
If you give Markstrom 5/30 and he either regresses next season or is supplanted by a big improvement from Demko, both of which are distinct possibilities, you’ve got another untradeable 6M contract.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
That ought to make us a destination for free agents... Sign them to long term contracts, then trade them at the deadline for a couple picks, totally screwing over the UFA's choice of destination.

If Markstrom wants to come back for a discount, reasonable term and no expansion draft protection? Sure. That's not happening though. He will be signed on the first day of UFA.
Ergo, no NMC as I said. I presented what they shoul do , as the question asked. And I’m guessing that these issues are the reason that the parties are reportedly far apart. If he signs, he needs to understand the possibilities. Life in a cap, expansion, and covid era.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
If you give Markstrom 5/30 and he either regresses next season or is supplanted by a big improvement from Demko, both of which are distinct possibilities, you’ve got another untradeable 6M contract.
I wouldn’t sign maelstrom for 5/30. Part of the current negotiations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad