What to do with Nurse?

How would you handle Nurse?

• Total voters

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Does nothing about the past bloody decade plus remind people how difficult it is to find and retain quality D?? Nurse isnt perfect, but he is a good middle pairing D with a load of intangibles and a ceiling he still likely hasn’t quite reached. The *****in’ and moanin’ about him is stupid.
The same pissing and moaning was happening with Petry and Schultz, man I wised we still had them both.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I bet ,during this stretch without Klefbom, Nurse will impress us and will play good. He plays better when he has more time on the ice. It's how he played in junior. Also, yes he often makes stupid mistakes on the ice and even I hate him sometimes, but he's also 4 points behind our leading point producer on Defense and he leads us in goals by a Defense men. So let's see what he does. It's his opportunity. It's up to him to make a difference
It's certainly in Nurse's personality to try and step up to the challenge, though with the amount of minutes Klefbom was playing we'll need 2 guys to step up (defense by committee).

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
He's shown vast improvement every year since he was drafted. He was one of our best players all year last year. Now because of a 26 game stretch we should do something with him?

For an organization that has rushed every kid to the bigs and expected them to right the ship then traded them at their lowest, you'd think the fans would show a little more patience. Especially for a kid who has been one of the bright spots for the last few seasons.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He's shown vast improvement every year since he was drafted. He was one of our best players all year last year. Now because of a 26 game stretch we should do something with him?

For an organization that has rushed every kid to the bigs and expected them to right the ship then traded them at their lowest, you'd think the fans would show a little more patience. Especially for a kid who has been one of the bright spots for the last few seasons.
Except Nurse wasn't our best defensemen all of last year. He looked good for around 25-30 games and then after the winter break he looked like current Nurse and by almost all metrics he was our 5th best defender last year behind Klefbom, Larsson, Benning and Russell, 2 of those had bad years as well. This year by most stats he is our worst regular defender. Only worse is Wideman and Garrison.

Reactions: dawunderboy

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
This season for Oilers defenders with 20+ games (5 of them) Nurse is...
(Lower the worse)

4th in Shots Against/60
4th in Shots For/60
3rd in Goals For/60
5th in Goals Against/60
3rd in Scoring Chances For/60
5th in Scoring Chances Against/60
5th in High Danger Chances For/60
5th in High Danger Chances Against/60
5th in On Ice Save%

Now I will do his numbers relative to teammates and competition...(lower the worse)

4th Corsi%Rel
5th in Fenwick%Rel
5th in Shots%Rel
5th in Goals%Rel
5th in Scoring Chance%Rel
5th in High Danger Chance%Rel

Long story short his offense is better than expected but his defense is the worst out of our regular defenders.

What this highly points to, even when healthy is that Nurse is playing too high in the lineup and should be on the third pairing.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
All the tools in the world. But I really do question his IQ on both sides of the ice. What’s concerning most for me is that he leaves his assignment in front of the net or gets caught puck watching far too often.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
All the tools in the world. But I really do question his IQ on both sides of the ice. What’s concerning most for me is that he leaves his assignment in front of the net or gets caught puck watching far too often.
It's strange to me because these are mistakes that NHL defenders shouldn't be making and should be ironed out of his game by now, which worries me.

Reactions: Tom Brady

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
The same pissing and moaning was happening with Petry and Schultz, man I wised we still had them both.

It is eerily similar. Like Schultz and Petry before him, I think a lot of it has to do with expectations vs. reality. All three defenders were (at least at times) hyped-up beyond their abilities. Many posters on here for instance truly believed that Nurse had top-pairing potential. Just look at the old Nurse vs Klefbom discussions. Most people were pegging Darnell to be our best defender by now.

While he's still youngish and somewhat untapped, I doubt he ever reaches that sort of peak. He's still a very valuable asset and (should be) a big part of the team going forward though. Just because he likely won't be that number-1 defensemen we all hoped for, doesn't mean we should cut bait and sell low on him. I just hope that the organisation has learned from their past mistakes.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I thought Nurse had a strong game given what he was asked to do.

He was our only defenseman that created anything offensively all night. He was also playing 30 minutes playing shutdown duties against one of the best offensive teams in the league. Fans expect him to be perfect in every aspect it seems, but guess what, even Norris trophy winners make some mistakes every single game.

Kaniac

Sep 11, 2018
Why are we bitching about Nurse? The dude has 2 goals in the last 2 games. He's playing consistent hockey. Is he a #1 dman? No, but without Russel and klefbom he's all we got. Hopefully he can keep his head above water long enough so atleast one can get back. He's the last of our problems.

Giggli G

Sep 8, 2006
Why are we *****ing about Nurse? The dude has 2 goals in the last 2 games. He's playing consistent hockey. Is he a #1 dman? No, but without Russel and klefbom he's all we got. Hopefully he can keep his head above water long enough so atleast one can get back. He's the last of our problems.

People saying he has no elite upside are actually completely wrong in my opinion. He could be as good as Klefbom sometime this year and the sky is the limit for him. He's on pace for over 10 goals too

Quinteoilers

Jan 7, 2012
The entire DCorp needs to be intact-including Sekera and then he needs a proper partner, that compliment each other. IMO when he’s trying “too hard” that’s when his game unravels. You have to use the Detroit model and evaluate after 400 games.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
People who want to trade Nurse are insane. Everyone rags on Chia all the time, but I really fear what would happen if some of you were allowed to call the shots.

Nurse is 23 years old, he still has plenty of time to develop. Be patient.

Also, who is replacing Nurse on the back end?? Those of you who think Sekera will step back in and be anything but a shell of himself, especially initially, are out to lunch.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I think Nurse has really embraced his enhanced role, and I really think these injuries will be a blessing in disguise for him. He still loses his man in his own zone at times, but it seems to be less and less. He is becoming much more assertive and aggressive carrying the puck now and moving it up ice. With his size and skating, it really is nice to see.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I bet ,during this stretch without Klefbom, Nurse will impress us and will play good. He plays better when he has more time on the ice. It's how he played in junior. Also, yes he often makes stupid mistakes on the ice and even I hate him sometimes, but he's also 4 points behind our leading point producer on Defense and he leads us in goals by a Defense men. So let's see what he does. It's his opportunity. It's up to him to make a difference
Hitch agreed with you in todays post game, said the more he plays the better he plays talking about 25 mins a night might be closer to ideal for him and this is on top of Hitch saying previously that the floor for Klefbom is 25 mins, sounds like bad news for Gravel he might be on the underside of 10 mins fairly regularly if Hitch holds true to his takes on both of Klef and Nurse.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Hitch agreed with you in todays post game, said the more he plays the better he plays talking about 25 mins a night might be closer to ideal for him and this is on top of Hitch saying previously that the floor for Klefbom is 25 mins, sounds like bad news for Gravel he might be on the underside of 10 mins fairly regularly if Hitch holds true to his takes on both of Klef and Nurse.

He does seem like one of those guys that needs that pressure and responsibility to really fully motivate himself. Some guys seem to just be like that, the challenge and being put on the spot is the great motivator.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad