What to do with Nurse?

How would you handle Nurse?

• Total voters

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
How long until the "down the road" talk stops? Dude is going to have 300 pro games under his belt by the end of the season.

Reactions: Beerfish

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
How long until the "down the road" talk stops? Dude is going to have 300 pro games under his belt by the end of the season.
Not even true. Can only reach 292 by the end of the season. But we better trade him, otherwise how are we going to keep complaining about the defense??

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Not even true. Can only reach 292 by the end of the season. But we better trade him, otherwise how are we going to keep complaining about the defense??

305 if he doesn't miss any games this year, counting playoffs and AHL.

Something important to keep in mind is that a big part of "fixing the defense" is to stop committing money and term to second pairing players. Obviously the Oilers are better with Nurse than without, but if they want to actually be a contending team, some of these guys have to start being upgraded on--especially if Nurse is going to ask above his value again the next time he's in a contract negotiation.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
The biggest reason I'm leaning towards "keep him" is he seems tight with Connor, well liked, brings an interesting mix of ES offense and toughness and probably won't ever be super expensive.

If there's a clear upgrade available and Nurse needs to be part of that, of course you move him. Otherwise, let it rock.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Lets run another 23 year old dman who leads the team on D with goals points with limited pp time , you all Nurse haters rush to Rogers starting booing him like Schultz chase him out of town for a magic bean all the while salivatating over Justin garbage Faulk who at the end of this season will be a huge part of the Canes tying the Oilers record of most missed consecutive playoffs .

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Lets run another 23 year old dman who leads the team on D with goals points with limited pp time , you all Nurse haters rush to Rogers starting booing him like Schultz chase him out of town for a magic bean all the while salivatating over Justin garbage Faulk who at the end of this season will be a huge part of the Canes tying the Oilers record of most missed consecutive playoffs .
Calm down it’s clearly the minority (by far) of Oiler fans that dislike Nurse. Jultz was hated by everybody lol.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Calm down it’s clearly the minority (by far) of Oiler fans that dislike Nurse. Jultz was hated by everybody lol.
Yea really hated by Pens and their fans , the same Justin Schultz who chose the Oilers over anyteam he Could of chosen the same Justin Schultz who was a huge part in a Cup winning team . The same Justin Schultz that lead to last years Hart winner being traded to find a Right shot Dman , but hey Oiler fans always know best

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Yea really hated by Pens and their fans , the same Justin Schultz who chose the Oilers over anyteam he Could of chosen the same Justin Schultz who was a huge part in a Cup winning team . The same Justin Schultz that lead to last years Hart winner was traded to find a Right shot Dman , but hey Oiler fans always know best
I see you missed the calm down part. Jultz had a fantastic season that one year. Good for him and Pittsburg. I didn’t understand half your post but I’m going to back out of this debate. I’m just saying most Oiler fans like nurse and he’s not going to get booed out of rogers anytime soon.

Reactions: MinimaMoralia

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Nurse isn't going anywhere... He's best buds with the 2 stars on this team. He is our best skating D man, and our biggest. He can anchor a second pairing and play well on the first when needed. But let's go back and run with the Nikitan's and Fayne's of the world. If there was ever a Chia player on this team it is Nurse.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Nurse isn't going anywhere... He's best buds with the 2 stars on this team. He is our best skating D man, and our biggest. He can anchor a second pairing and play well on the first when needed. But let's go back and run with the Nikitan's and Fayne's of the world. If there was ever a Chia player on this team it is Nurse.

I don’t care that he’s best buds with McDavid and Koski, why does that matter, if Gretz was traded even Nurse could be.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I don’t care that he’s best buds with McDavid and Koski, why does that matter, if Gretz was traded even Nurse could be.
Yeah...anything you say on here really belongs to the "out to lunch" pile with me. No offense - I just can't take anything you say on here seriously...Do you really think they meant Kostco when talking about his two best buds (stars) on the team? Seriously, can you really be that oblivious about this team?

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah...anything you say on here really belongs to the "out to lunch" pile with me. No offense - I just can't take anything you say on here seriously...Do you really think they meant Kostco when talking about his two best buds (stars) on the team? Seriously, can you really be that oblivious about this team?

Nope, not offensive.:thumbu:

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc

I was the only guy saying they were about to go on a run, I just see the game different from playing it at a high level for many years and from partying with many players and former players.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
“Hockey IQ” seems to be that new HF buzzword and I see it thrown around with Nurse all too often.
The fact remains most d men with high iq can actually create opportunities while in the offensive zone because of their own talent whether its driving the net or holding onto the puck long enough to allow a teammate to set up somewhere for a good opportunity and Nurse has never been capable of that. People who want him traded don't want him traded for peanuts they want him traded for a d man that is capable of what I just said. Nurse got 2 points a couple of games ago on basically dumping the puck into the zone while Mcdavid/Spooner/Larsson did all the work to get the goals and yet somehow people use that as a benchmark for Nurse being offensively gifted.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I was the only guy saying they were about to go on a run, I just see the game different from playing it at a high level for many years and from partying with many players and former players.
If you've been so involved in the game for so long, you would understand basic things, like junior players cant be called up after being sent down unless their season is over.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Yea really hated by Pens and their fans , the same Justin Schultz who chose the Oilers over anyteam he Could of chosen the same Justin Schultz who was a huge part in a Cup winning team . The same Justin Schultz that lead to last years Hart winner being traded to find a Right shot Dman , but hey Oiler fans always know best

To be fair, Jultz has been pretty much standard Jultz since that season. Still soft, still half-hearted, still inconsistent.
To paint him as a saint after that one good year is akin to calling Maroon a 25 goal guy after his one good year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad