What to do with Morrissey

Bridge or Long Term

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Briscodog

May 2, 2016
Of course this tweet from Hamilton contradicts what I was told by the media member I golfed with a couple of weeks ago. So one of two things are evident. 1. My guy is talking out his azz or 2. Hamilton is looking for retweets. Either way it looks like 44 will get signed.

1430MaroonsRoad

Sep 14, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Of course this tweet from Hamilton contradicts what I was told by the media member I golfed with a couple of weeks ago. So one of two things are evident. 1. My guy is talking out his azz or 2. Hamilton is looking for retweets. Either way it looks like 44 will get signed.

I think Hamilton is somewhat tuned in... IIRC he broke the news first that Enstrom agreed to waive his NMC ahead of the expansion draft (yes, even ahead of Elliote Friedman).

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think we'll get him signed to a contract. I think he just doesn't want to be bargained, can't blame him as it's such a ruthless business.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Right now I am hoping for 6/$36 million. For me it's good faith, prime years investment. Considering the Jets paid Toby Enstrom $5.75million for a lesser role, it's a modest inflationary increase for a better player. Maybe the cap game forces the Jets to move a spare part as a consequence.

Reactions: robertocarlos

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Right now I am hoping for 6/$36 million. For me it's good faith, prime years investment. Considering the Jets paid Toby Enstrom $5.75million for a lesser role, it's a modest inflationary increase for a better player. Maybe the cap game forces the Jets to move a spare part as a consequence.
6x6 is way to much. Slavin signed at 7x5.3 that is more in line with what morrissey should get. So many dmen who could be used as comps signed in the 5aav range coming off their elc.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
6x6 is way to much. Slavin signed at 7x5.3 that is more in line with what morrissey should get. So many dmen who could be used as comps signed in the 5aav range coming off their elc.

Taking into account market and taxes, I think if you can get a clear first pairing defenseman locked up for $6 million take it. Trouba's looking for more and most everyone would agree that Morrissey is more important than Trouba to this team. It seems petty to me if we'll overpay a vet like Enstrom, who was at best a 4-6 defenseman at the end of his career, but won't shell out for a horse, who leads this team. You'd have to think he is going to wearing an A down the road.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't think 6 X 6 is too out of line for Morrissey but Enstrom is not a comparable. At the time Toby was a UFA and the team had no leverage. Morrissey's comparables are other young promising defenseman coming off their ELC's without arbitration rights.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

6 by 6 is most certainly too much. An equiviliant deal to Slavin's using today's cap would by 7 at 5.6 million a year. I still maintain they sign a long term deal between 5.25 and 5.6 million a year.

Reactions: Mathil8

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I don't think 6 X 6 is too out of line for Morrissey but Enstrom is not a comparable. At the time Toby was a UFA and the team had no leverage. Morrissey's comparables are other young promising defenseman coming off their ELC's without arbitration rights.
Morrissey would get less for a 6 year contract, I would think. If he wants anything close to $6M, it would have to be an 8-year deal (comparable to Scheifele).

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
6 by 6 is most certainly too much. An equiviliant deal to Slavin's using today's cap would by 7 at 5.6 million a year. I still maintain they sign a long term deal between 5.25 and 5.6 million a year.
slavin's contract starts this year so why would there be any salary cap inflation added on to Morrissey's contract. either way we are in the same ballpark. I don't think it should go over the 5.3 aav though.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
slavin's contract starts this year so why would there be any salary cap inflation added on to Morrissey's contract. either way we are in the same ballpark. I don't think it should go over the 5.3 aav though.

He signed it a year ago when the cap was much lower so the cap hit% is tied to the value of the cap when he signed not when it starts. It would be the same if Laine signed this summer, his cap hit% would be on this year's cap.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
He signed it a year ago when the cap was much lower so the cap hit% is tied to the value of the cap when he signed not when it starts. It would be the same if Laine signed this summer, his cap hit% would be on this year's cap.
I have a hard time understanding this. how does how cap friendly applies cap hit % matter in any way. I think it would be impossible for his agent to argue that Morrissey should get more because slavin signed his contract last year although it starts this year. they both would be starting their 2nd contracts at the same time with the same salary cap.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
6x6 is only buying 2 UFA years. From a term perspective, that'd be very disappointing. I'm hoping for at least 7 years.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
6x6 is only buying 2 UFA years. From a term perspective, that'd be very disappointing. I'm hoping for at least 7 years.

Those are prime years though. The speed of the game passes a lot of 30 year olds by, and does wear and tear. Similar contract to Scheifele. From a team salary structure, puts him behind Buff and Scheif, equal to Ehlers, ahead of Wheeler, who signed years ago, Trouba and Myers. Name your top 5 most important Jets, and Morrissey is probably on that list. I give him at least Enstrom's salary, but d are higher paid than forwards so that's 6/$6million per is still good, maybe a back loaded contract gives the Jets more real money to spend to keep the core together.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I haven’t watch Hanifin much, but how comparable is he to Morrissey?

Would a 6x4.95m be fair?

Hanifin has been really sheltered so far in his career. He puts up points but doesn't hold a candle to Morrissey on his own end. I'd say Morrissey is closer to the 5.25 x 6 that Skeji signed for. Well I think we have a range for a 6 year deal. Somewhere between 5 and 5.25.

Reactions: Aggie204

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Hanifin has been really sheltered so far in his career. He puts up points but doesn't hold a candle to Morrissey on his own end. I'd say Morrissey is closer to the 5.25 x 6 that Skeji signed for. Well I think we have a range for a 6 year deal. Somewhere between 5 and 5.25.
I would think the Jets are looking more for a 7-8 year deal. In that case, it's probably going to be in the 5.75-6M range.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
I would think the Jets are looking more for a 7-8 year deal. In that case, it's probably going to be in the 5.75-6M range.
So that would likely mean 7-7.5 for Trouba if it is 6 year or longer term. Do not see the possibility he signs for less than that ballpark.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So that would likely mean 7-7.5 for Trouba if it is 6 year or longer term. Do not see the possibility he signs for less than that ballpark.
I think 7-7.5M for Trouba on a 7-8 year deal after this season would be very good for the Jets.

One thing that I think some don't appreciate is that the Jets' cap crunch might be more acute this season than next. By next season they will likely be able to move out Myers, Kulikov and Perreault, replacing them with young players on ELCs that are still developing (e.g. Vesalainen / Petan for Perreault, Niku / Samberg for Kulikov, Poolman for Myers).

The Jets can probably fit in Morrissey at 5.5M and Trouba at 7.5M.

Below is an example with Morrissey at 5.5m, Trouba at 7m and Wheeler at 7.5m.

Jets 2019 with Wheeler.png

Reactions: kittiecarlyle

None

Feb 22, 2012

Hanifin's contract getting finished should help finding the right AAV for Morrissey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad