What to do with Morrissey

Bridge or Long Term

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
"Right now, it's in the works. Every player handles these things differently but I'm just focused on training throughout the summer. Of course, it's something you think about. You'd be lying if that wasn't the case. But I think things have really started to progress. For me, I love being here, I love playing here. You look at the playoff run last year that we had and just the support from the fans, I love being a Winnipeg Jet."

Article in the WFP, sounds very optimistic that long term deal will be worked out before TC starts

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
"If you have UFA (unrestricted free agent) status then, obviously, July 1 is a pretty big date. If you have arbitration rights, whatever date is determined (for a hearing) becomes a big date. For me, for us, we basically just have to get something done before training camp and so it really doesn't matter if that's done in June or July or August," he said. "It's all part of the process and I'm just trying to enjoy it."

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Nothing about the flawed character of Morrissey because of a high cross cheque in the playoffs and how that means he wants out like Trouba? :laugh:

Wonder how Paul ”Eklund”” Wiesek will react When Josh signs?
Unbelievable.

You see it in the types of questions he asks during player scrums, stirring the pot, trying to create a story.

He annoys the players often with his line of questioning.

Reactions: ps241

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Gee, it's almost like this information is obvious. Too bad Wiecek is too clueless to figure it out and can't get past his petulance about TNSE for long enough to write a thoughtful article.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Jason Bell, solid article, with good quotes.
I never had any doubt he would be here long-term, but found the end of the article most interesting.
Scheifele has been mentored by Wheeler in terms of leadership and professionalism, and, in turn, Morrissey is learning from them. I see an A on his jersey in the not too distant future.

... Morrissey spent a few weeks earlier his summer working out with Scheifele and Jets captain Blake Wheeler in California. He said he's in awe of the veteran forwards' commitment to fitness and preparedness for the upcoming season.

"I felt like it really helped me just being around two players who, in my opinion, are two of the best players in the league and also two guys who are extremely fit," said Morrissey. "Right now, I feel like I'm in the best shape of my career. I have high goals for myself.

"... I want to continue to improve. I feel like if I can make a play eight out of 10 times, I want to make it nine out of 10 times, and just work on my overall game."

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I never had any doubt he would be here long-term, but found the end of the article most interesting.
Scheifele has been mentored by Wheeler in terms of leadership and professionalism, and, in turn, Morrissey is learning from them. I see an A on his jersey in the not too distant future.

... Morrissey spent a few weeks earlier his summer working out with Scheifele and Jets captain Blake Wheeler in California. He said he's in awe of the veteran forwards' commitment to fitness and preparedness for the upcoming season.

"I felt like it really helped me just being around two players who, in my opinion, are two of the best players in the league and also two guys who are extremely fit," said Morrissey. "Right now, I feel like I'm in the best shape of my career. I have high goals for myself.

"... I want to continue to improve. I feel like if I can make a play eight out of 10 times, I want to make it nine out of 10 times, and just work on my overall game."

I have no doubt he will be part of the leadership core moving forward. Many thoight he was a potential captain candidate back when he was in junior.

You are starting to see who the keeners are on the team. The org has done a great job drafting players that have the drive to work to get better.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

Thank for that. I love hearing quotes like this. Nice to see these guys become a tight knit group.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

I understand why Morrissey's camp wants a bridge deal, as they feel he hasn't had enough time as the bona fide number one LHD to drive up his value. I think it's smart of Jets management to push for a long-term contract right now, while his value is still relatively lower.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I understand why Morrissey's camp wants a bridge deal, as they feel he hasn't had enough time as the bona fide number one LHD to drive up his value. I think it's smart of Jets management to push for a long-term contract right now, while his value is still relatively lower.

I completely understand why both parties want what they want. They will work through it.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I completely understand why both parties want what they want. They will work through it.

This seems to contradict what was stated earlier where Morrissey's camp only wanted a long term deal. I guess the Jets may have to go higher on a long term to entice him to sign one.

Reactions: ps241

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
This seems to contradict what was stated earlier where Morrissey's camp only wanted a long term deal. I guess the Jets may have to go higher on a long term to entice him to sign one.
And that suggests to me that the Jets would then need to get rid of some salary, like Myers or Perreault, wouldn't it?

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Is it opposite day? Sign him to an 5 year bridge deal. So really Wiecek was right and JoMo wants out in 4 years,

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Like that Chevy is pushing for a long term deal. Smart tactic for Morressey's camp to push for bridge. Let's go 6 X $5.5 M and call it a day.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't put much credence into reports that source "sources". My guess both sides are fine with a long term deal that comes in at the right number. Jets push low and Morrissey's camp talks bridge. Morrissey goes too high and Jets talk bridge. I'm liking a little news is leaking out. Means both sides are working on this.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't put much credence into reports that source "sources". My guess both sides are fine with a long term deal that comes in at the right number. Jets push low and Morrissey's camp talks bridge. Morrissey goes too high and Jets talk bridge. I'm liking a little news is leaking out. Means both sides are working on this.

Yeah I imagine they will agree on a long term deal at some point in the next few weeks. Good point on the bridge tactic being used to leverage more on a long term deal.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
And that suggests to me that the Jets would then need to get rid of some salary, like Myers or Perreault, wouldn't it?

Cap room is $10.2 million, 3.5 for bonus leaves 6.7, then .8-1.2 for a forward leaving at least 5.5 for JoMo, even on a bridge there would be a bit of room to spare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad