Player Discussion: What to do with Lemieux?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I have been saying for a long time that the impact of Hendricks could have been larger than a lot of us realize. Oilers imploded when he left and their players were even lamenting how his leadership was sorely missed, Jets had one heck of a season with him on-board and now Minnesota is doing well with him.
It was smart of the Oilers to re-sign him this offseason. Hang on...

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Lemieux had held his emotions in check quite well while with the Jets this season, and then lost his head last game. Jets need to send him a message, and then assess whether it's received. He needs to sit in the press-box for some time, or be sent to the Moose for a stretch. It's not okay for a 4th line winger to take his team out of a game with his antics.

You can't assess whether the message has been received or not if he is in the PB.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What Lemieux did in comparison to the 1970's and 80's Philadelphia Flyers era was nothing. Those Broad Street Bullies were "vicious" and they would come up to a guy, and punch him in the head for no reason at all. Guys like Dave Schultz were terrible. Lemieux would have been a "prize possession" in those days, to fight off those type of goons. Things have changed though.

The hit was not necessary, and he took 2 penalties, is the "real issue" the Jet's are going to have with Lemieux. I've seen Trouba try to seriously take guys out, and nobody says anything ?? Lemieux was a big part of what cost us the game, however Wheeler, and Myers, and Buff have taken many penalties, that have cost us games. Because it's Lemieux, everyone is making to big a deal out of this ??

We actually need a talented "tough guy"--that can control his emotions, and contribute on the scoreboard, and at the same time keep guys off of our talent guys.

The game has become Europeanized, and now features more skill, and also there is way more money in the game, and the NHL is worried about law suits for concussions etc. Really and truly the game today is like Disneyland, compared to the "very rough"--70's and 80's.

The game has not become Europeanized. Who are you? Don effing Cherry? :laugh: It has changed. It has gone back to more like it was in the 50's and 60's, maybe and then some. It has become more civilized. Europe doesn't hold the patent on civilization. The Broad Street Bullies were an aberration. The game was in danger of sinking to Roller Derby on ice. It was not a good thing.

At that same time Winnipeg got to watch Hull, Hedberg and Nilsson. I'll take them over the BSB's every time.

The place of a tough guy to protect our talented players has been argued to death. I don't think it is very effective but I don't mind having one available. But the keys are in your description. Talented and controlled. Lemieux has shown some talent. Not a lot, but some. Similar to Chris Thorburn level talent at hockey and more than Thorburn talent at fighting. Unfortunately, without the control. Thor averaged 1.2 PIMs/gm, career. Lemmy is currently at 2.67 PIMs/gm.

Reactions: Halberdier

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Can't stand reading these uniformed posts any longer.
Believe it or not people, there as reason why coaches and management had him on the roster.
I trust those choices just a little bit more, rather than the spew in here.

What might that reason be? See post #196, immediately above yours.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
True. But for bolded, I'd say it should not be okay for 1st line captain either, and should be penalized every single time.

I'm pretty much fed up with utterly idiotic penalties Jets are taking esp. this season. That Lemieux one was particularly boneheaded, even borderline wicked, but I would like to see just about anyone sitting on the bench after an idiotic penalty to send the message.

The thing is, if you don't send a message after stupid penalty, you are sending a message: stupid penalties are OK. And then you lose even more games for stupid penalties.

I would have liked to see Lowry sit for a while after his stupid unsportsmanlike penalty. He is generally not one of the worst offenders though. But it might have sent a message.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I have been calling for all out vets to be held accountable for a lack of discipline for a while now but Maurice doesn't seem to have the balls to do it.

It seems to be getting worse, not better. Why are players like Wheeler and Scheifele among our PIM leaders? Scheifele has 20 PIMs in 14 games this year. He had 18 in 60 games last year. WTF? Several other players are also well above their previous norms.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I wanted to give Lemieux a shot, but he has a long history of dirty plays/hits and I am not a fan of his personality. He doesn’t offer enough to the team where his antics would be tolerable (think Marchand) so I’d like to see him go. I would give Appleton a shot, he’s looking to good for the AHL at this point and could hopefully re-create some success with Roslovic and Petan in the NHl.

Petan draws in for Lemieux. Who sits to make room for Apples? Wouldn't it be better to have some veteran presence with those young guys rather than putting out such an inexperienced line? It is a big step from the A to the NHL.

Reactions: snowkiddin

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
We made the playoffs because of Matt Hendricks.

There was an impact Hendricks and the 4th line provided last season that has not been provided by our 4 th line yet this season. I get that Perreault and Armia had much to do with that impact, but regardless we have not had anything close to that type of play this season from that line. They actually carried us for a couple of weeks last year, early on.

The potential for our 4th line is higher with Roslovic at the C, but Lemieux has a ways to go to get to an Armia level, and a journey to Perreault’s level.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Petan draws in for Lemieux. Who sits to make room for Apples? Wouldn't it be better to have some veteran presence with those young guys rather than putting out such an inexperienced line? It is a big step from the A to the NHL.

I agree, especially if we are trying to make the playoffs this year. It’s just an idea of something I would like to see in the future.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
Lemieux, by virtue of this indiscretion, should be with the Moose for the rest of the season. If he makes the big club out of camp next season then that his awesome for him, but there has to be a severe consequence as a result of this blatant attempt to injure an opponent. I am all for a big hit that will sap the energy of an opposing player, but to target the head is unacceptable, period...

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I have been saying for a long time that the impact of Hendricks could have been larger than a lot of us realize. Oilers imploded when he left and their players were even lamenting how his leadership was sorely missed, Jets had one heck of a season with him on-board and now Minnesota is doing well with him.
I agree there is a value to veteran guys who do and say the right things in all situations. There is a reason why coaches love them. You are in the PB tonight...no problem. Team is struggling...need to work harder. Other players gossiping about coaches...shut it down. Team is sagging...fire them up. Young player is feeling left out...include him.

Reactions: Tommigun

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
"Metrics" for a 4th line / 5 minute a game player? Not worth looking at based on games played. Rest assured, the Jets are looking at his potential based on other factors.
He can score (AHL with minutes), he has a cycle game and he plays a hard driving style that could be considered perfect for the 4th line.

I think you have pointed out one of the problem areas. I don't actually think Lemieux or Petan are designed to play 6 minutes a game on the 4th line. Lemieux has played up the line up most of his amateur and early professional career and I don't think he will be able to do much playing 6 minutes a night. Frankly almost nobody plays that well in that role. Matty P has been the main straw that can stir the 4th line from time to time and Tanev seems to handled that role ok last season too but on balance most guys really struggle with limited ice time.

PaperRockChamp

Oct 19, 2009
Wpg
Roslovic, Lemieux, Petan, Appleton... The answer is not within the organization this year.
We should make the playoffs but I can't believe these are our 4th line options in such an important year.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I think you have pointed out one of the problem areas. I don't actually think Lemieux or Petan are designed to play 6 minutes a game on the 4th line. Lemieux has played up the line up most of his amateur and early professional career and I don't think he will be able to do much playing 6 minutes a night. Frankly almost nobody plays that well in that role. Matty P has been the main straw that can stir the 4th line from time to time and Tanev seems to handled that role ok last season too but on balance most guys really struggle with limited ice time.

I agree - no one is designed to play 5/6 minutes a night.

Most who are moving up from the AHL usually take a step back from where they were but I get your point.
The 4th is a catch 22 - you need to bring something to the line in order to get more minutes but you also need more minutes to show what you can bring.

It's a problem for any player - Lemieux, Petan, Rosy or whoever - they need to take advantage of their limited time - they need to leave it all on the ice.
Matty's a good example of a player who leaves it all out there on ever opportunity - hopefully the younger crew catches on.
And hopefully Maurice finds a way to stretch out their TOI as bit.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
We made the playoffs because of Matt Hendricks.

No ones saying that. Just wondering if he did have an impact in game at times as a leader. I know you guys dont like leadership talk. It's a part of hockey though.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
No ones saying that. Just wondering if he did have an impact in game at times as a leader. I know you guys dont like leadership talk. It's a part of hockey though.

One thing I loved about Hendy is nobody has ever looked happier to be playing 4th line minutes. He was the ultimate gleeful 4th line brand ambassador.

Despite his shortcomings his attitude and professionalism were a 10 and I wish him nothing but good luck in life.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
"Brendan's got a bit of a unique game. The physicality is a certain part of it. But that line that gets crossed, it can't be who you become as a player. So it's a learning experience for him," Maurice said.

"A little too close to the edge on both those penalties. And there was a price paid for it both by our team and by his suspension. We need him to bring all the good qualities, that hard physical game, and ride that edge a little better."

"That's the challenge for the player. You still have to bring what you're capable of bringing and what your skill set is. He's a physical guy, he's going to finish his check, going to go to the net hard. And he's going to learn. We don't expect that he's going to come off the body. A half-step, right. Just a little more to the shoulder there and it's a good, clean play."

Doesn't sound like Mo is too upset about what happened, but we will see where Lemiuex ends up.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
"Brendan's got a bit of a unique game. The physicality is a certain part of it. But that line that gets crossed, it can't be who you become as a player. So it's a learning experience for him," Maurice said.

"A little too close to the edge on both those penalties. And there was a price paid for it both by our team and by his suspension. We need him to bring all the good qualities, that hard physical game, and ride that edge a little better."

"That's the challenge for the player. You still have to bring what you're capable of bringing and what your skill set is. He's a physical guy, he's going to finish his check, going to go to the net hard. And he's going to learn. We don't expect that he's going to come off the body. A half-step, right. Just a little more to the shoulder there and it's a good, clean play."

Doesn't sound like Mo is too upset about what happened, but we will see where Lemiuex ends up.

The optimist in me thinks he's had a few days to cool down and is giving the standard stand by your player type of response despite still being pissed about it.

The pessimist in me thinks this is just par for the course with Maurice, overvaluing the wrong attributes st the bottom of the line up.

Reactions: JetsUK

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

Regardless of what Mo says, Lemieux is not getting back in the lineup anytime soon. Petan and Roslo will have their chance for several games. They might not be planning on banishing Lemieux to the Moose like many wanted but he is firmly going to be planted in the press box.

I don't think the Jets organization is high on Lemieux as many here think. It was reported by a respected poster here last season that they tried to move him at the deadline but couldn't.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Regardless of what Mo says, Lemieux is not getting back in the lineup anytime soon. Petan and Roslo will have their chance for several games. They might not be planning on banishing Lemieux to the Moose like many wanted but he is firmly going to be planted in the press box.

I don't think the Jets organization is high on Lemieux as many here think. It was reported by a respected poster here last season that they tried to move him at the deadline but couldn't.

Even had this not occurred, it would have been Lemieux time to sit or be sent down.

Maurice has been very candid that his intention was providing the press box players multiple consecutive games before making any permanent decision. Vesalainen got his as did Lemieux.

It's now Petan's time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad