What to do with Barrie?

What to do with Barrie?

• Total voters

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
Wow while I appreciate you can't hear inflection in a typed word you should have at least been smart enough to see it was a ficitious response to a ficitious post above it , but since it wasn't simple enough for you let me break it down for ya , I was saying Colorado doesn't want Barrie either , this is a thread about Barrie not Kadri . Second Colorado is extremely happy with Kadri , he's been the on and off leader of the league in faceoff % , his linemates are having career years playing with him whether or not he gets an apple when they score he always contributes at both ends of the ice . Theres no way they trade him back for even both of Barrie and Kerfoot with no kicker , for you to not grasp that is just sad man truely sad .
Facetious

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
It's too bad "have Kadri back" isn't an option.

I just wonder about the whole thing. I wondered back then. We all thought he was a hot head, but I remember thinking "how is he still getting caught up in this shit? do the coaches not tell him he doesn't have to go head hunting?"

And I just wonder what he would have been like after Babcock got outed.

Sorry, can't help myself Kadri was my favourite player and Barrie is invisible for the most part.

I would trade Barrie.

Resign at 8m/per? You kidding? there's no way he's getting that now. He has not worked out here and it's damaged his earnings and it's damaged our depth big time.

But I will still blame it on unfair suspensions to Kadri (at least as far as length when it's in the playoffs) and bad refereeing. Yeah.

We should trade Barrie for something if someone will bite even if we're gonna make it.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
The chances of the Leafs being sellers by the tdl i think are close zero - management wont have any incentive to do so - theyve already spent a fair amount of futures already: theyll want to fight until mathematically eliminated

Now capspace does give the team more trade options - but i suspect itll see them look to add to the D via subtracting a forward than a D for Dswap. Personally I dont see any signs that management has any interest in trading Barrie.

They might as well though. Let's see what we have internally, and see what the team can do under those circumstances. I bet there's an AHL guy that will make more of an impact than Barrie.

I still feel like we're on the Shannaplan and Dubas is also still on that train too.

Everyone keeps talking like this year is our window and I think that's absolute BS, it's the next decade. We can miss this year and not have to do a rebuild at all. Time is on the Leafs side with their core.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
They might as well though. Let's see what we have internally, and see what the team can do under those circumstances. I bet there's an AHL guy that will make more of an impact than Barrie.

I still feel like we're on the Shannaplan and Dubas is also still on that train too.

Everyone keeps talking like this year is our window and I think that's absolute BS, it's the next decade. We can miss this year and not have to do a rebuild at all. Time is on the Leafs side with their core.
You are right but we have maybe 2-3 years left with Tavares making a difference. and we have Freddy and Rielly this year and next. That is why folks are pushing for improvements on our backend. We can score with anyone.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
I'm keeping him for the playoffs if I can.

Ppl need to take a step back here. Barrie didn't forget how he plays.

I still maintain that Barrie's offense doesn't fully compensate for his average/mediocre defense. I feel like he's a more offensively gifted Gardiner where he can play decent defense at times, but then make boneheaded decisions that often leads to good scoring chances and sometimes goals for the other team and I'm tired of having Dmen like that on the Leafs. Rielly is already kinda like that and I'd rather not have another and prefer we move Barrie out and bring in a guy who can just play some solid, mostly mistake free defense for 20-25 mins a night.

If I were GM of the Leafs, if someone is willing to offer a decent package for him then I move him without hesitation. Unless he was willing to take a reasonable contract, there's no way I would resign him because the risk is too great that he would become Shattenkirk 2.0 where you give a offensive Dman a big contract and then after a year or two you find out like the Rangers did that you made a mistake and then you either have to find someone to take him off your hands or buy him out.

I mean wasn't it mentioned that when Babcock was still around and Barrie was doing poorly that he was asking to be traded? Why not do just that and recoup what you can from a trade that didn't quite work out as well as you thought it would? I'd much rather do that then either resign him or lose him for nothing in the offseason.

Reactions: LeafsRus

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I'm keeping him for the playoffs if I can.

Ppl need to take a step back here. Barrie didn't forget how he plays.
I think Rielly can do everything Barrie can do. But if Rielly is out for season then yes. If he is coming back then Sandin can fill in fine in short term.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
He is Jake Gardiner 2.0. Another guy where people will see what they want to see.

On some teams, Barrie could be a vital missing piece on the blueline. There's no doubting his skill level.

Based on our current roster construct, I think we would be more balanced and better off if we replaced him with a defensive minded defenceman.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
There is no comparison to Gardiner at all. Gardiner was significantly better defensively. Gardiner’s worst season defensively with the Leafs is better than Barrie’s best season defensively, ever.

The comparison was not to defensive ability, it was to the perception in Leafs land and the media. No matter what either Gards or Barrie does, most people have and had made up their mind on them.

Barrie is an effective D-men, people act as if the sky is falling though since we traded for him.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
The comparison was not to defensive ability, it was to the perception in Leafs land and the media. No matter what either Gards or Barrie does, most people have and had made up their mind on them.

Barrie is an effective D-men, people act as if the sky is falling though since we traded for him.

Again, there is no comparison. Barrie is significantly worse than Gardiner... and really isn’t all that effective. Effective dmen do not get sheltered even more than your typical rookie

Barrie criticism has nothing to do with people having minds made up... he just ain’t good.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
There is no comparison to Gardiner at all. Gardiner was significantly better defensively. Gardiner’s worst season defensively with the Leafs is better than Barrie’s best season defensively, ever.

Gardiner is not good enough defensively to be significantly better defensively than anyone in the NHL.

I would still take Barrie overall to Gardiner any day of the week, and I do not even like Barrie all that much.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Gardiner is not good enough defensively to be significantly better defensively than anyone in the NHL.

I would still take Barrie overall to Gardiner any day of the week, and I do not even like Barrie all that much.
I take him in game 7s for sure :p

Reactions: Erdinger

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

lol, I’ll just post this here:

Its even more hysterical that people think that Gardiner was the same as Barrie defensively....

Gardiner's worst season defeinsvely was still better than Barrie's best season defensively.

Numbers below
Jake Gardiner:
15-16: 0.78 EV GA/GP; 50.6% 5v5 OZ%; 16:49 5v5 TOI/GP
16-17: 0.65 EV GA/GP; 54% 5v5 OZ%; 17:36 5v5 TOI/GP
17-18: 0.82 EV GA/GP; 47.4% 5v5 OZ%; 18:54 5v5 TOI/GP
18-19: 0.72 EV GA/GP; 48.7% 5v5 OZ%; 18:18 5v5 TOI/GP

AVG: 0.74 EV GA/GP; 50.25 5v5 OZ%; 17:54 5v5 TOI/GP

Tyson Barrie:
16-17: 1.11 EV GA/GP; 56.7% 5v5 OZ%; 18:39 5v5 TOI/GP
17-18: 1.01 EV GA/GP; 61.3% 5v5 OZ%; 17:47 5v5 TOI/GP
18-19: 0.87 EV GA/GP; 63.1% 5v5 OZ%; 16:49 5v5 TOI/GP
19-20: 1.02 EV GA/GP; 55.2% 5v5 OZ%; 17:48 5v5 TOI/GP

AVG: 1.00 EV GA/GP; 59.08% 5v5 OZ%; 17:46 TOI/GP

On top of this, Gardiner could actually be trusted on a PK.

Reactions: Duffman955

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad