What to do with Barrie?

What to do with Barrie?

• Total voters

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
He got another secondary assist last night.

There was a play in the third, forward on the wall just blew by Barrie as he waived his stick like some neutered forward. That’s ridiculous from a D man.

He has a lot of good attributes, but he’s soft as butter in our end.
He clearly doesn't like to make or get hit. But he plays D. Maybe we should make him a centre. Why do we get these guys who really don't want to play D? Get some d*mn dmen. It is not that hard.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He clearly doesn't like to make or get hit. But he plays D. Maybe we should make him a centre. Why do we get these guys who really don't want to play D? Get some d*mn dmen. It is not that hard.
He’s a rover. This team needs D men. I don’t care what he did in the playoffs last year(Aves won A series, relax with the bronze statue routine), a team like Boston will absolutely eat him alive in our end. We’re a great possession team, he gets favourable zone starts, so we can bandaid his liabilities to a certain extent, which Keefe obviously realizes.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
He’s a rover. This team needs D men. I don’t care what he did in the playoffs last year(Aves won A series, relax with the bronze statute routine), a team like Boston will absolutely eat him alive in our end. We’re a great possession team, he gets favourable zone starts, so we can bandaid his liabilities to a certain extent, which Keefe obviously realizes.
Once puck is in our end and other team has possession team our 4 guys needs to form the box and then Barrie changes on the fly for a dman. If he does not want to pick up his winger and he does not want to get hurt in his contract year with a blocked shot then he needs to get to bench so someone else gets on ice to help us out doing that job.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Once puck is in our end and other team has possession team our 4 guys needs to form the box and then Barrie changes on the fly for a dman. If he does not want to pick up his winger and he does not want to get hurt in his contract year with a blocked shot then he needs to get to bench so someone else gets on ice to help us out doing that job.
I still think we need some more analytics data for that before we can be certain ...

:naughty:

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020
Or Barrie and Kerfoot for Nazem Kadri .........oh wait thats right they don't want him back , sorry my mistake .
Barrie has 3 less points than Kadri and thats with Kadri playing on the 2nd line. If we kept Kadri we still woukd have needed a RD to log big minutes for under 3 mill. I do miss a lot of the things Kadri brought to the team but I think we sit lower in the standings right now if we never made that deal.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Barrie has 3 less points than Kadri and thats with Kadri playing on the 2nd line. If we kept Kadri we still woukd have needed a RD to log big minutes for under 3 mill. I do miss a lot of the things Kadri brought to the team but I think we sit lower in the standings right now if we never made that deal.
Those kinda of arguments are tough to say. You have to go back to every game and determine which goals against were caused by him and which ones he created if they caused a change in point totals.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
He’s a rover. This team needs D men. I don’t care what he did in the playoffs last year(Aves won A series, relax with the bronze statue routine), a team like Boston will absolutely eat him alive in our end. We’re a great possession team, he gets favourable zone starts, so we can bandaid his liabilities to a certain extent, which Keefe obviously realizes.

Boston has a 'rover' D man, why shouldn't we have one?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
If you guys think Tyson Barrie is driving the PP, I’ll leave you to it. Recall the 4 on 3 PP, who did the coach sit? Hmmm.

Last edited:

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Trade him.
Look for a guy who is his opposite. A guy who is great defensively, makes the smart play, and can be a solid guy on the PK.
I could care less if the guy averages like 25 points a year, just get someone who knows how to be a defense first d-man,

Reilly - (Defense first D)
Muzzin - Holl
Dermott - Liljgren

PK
Muzzin - Guy
Dermott - Holl

PP
Reilly
Liljgren/Dermott/Muzzin

When your leading/you need a stop
Muzzin - Guy

Id say its similar to Karlsson on Ottawa, he was at his best when he had an smart defensive guy beside him.
Id go as far as saying I have no problem including Barrie+Kappy in the trade, as long as we get a defensive minded winger back.

I.e - Brodin (Left handed who can play the right side) + Hartman/Foligno (both good defensive W's, both can play either wing)
for
Barrie (they can move him for pics, which is what they need) + Kappanen (cost controlled RW, who would be in their top 6) + Bracco (they need talent)
Until Reillt comes back
Brodin - Holl
Muzzi - Liljgren
Sandin - Dermott

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
AJ - Tavares - Nylander
Engval - Kerfoot - Hartman/Foligno
Timashov/Gauthier - Spezza - Moore

Reactions: cannucky

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Wow while I appreciate you can't hear inflection in a typed word you should have at least been smart enough to see it was a ficitious response to a ficitious post above it , but since it wasn't simple enough for you let me break it down for ya , I was saying Colorado doesn't want Barrie either , this is a thread about Barrie not Kadri . Second Colorado is extremely happy with Kadri , he's been the on and off leader of the league in faceoff % , his linemates are having career years playing with him whether or not he gets an apple when they score he always contributes at both ends of the ice . Theres no way they trade him back for even both of Barrie and Kerfoot with no kicker , for you to not grasp that is just sad man truely sad .

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I’m looking at Vegas. Lots of draft capital. Want to make a move. Need a qb
Nick Holden could be interesting, but not for Barrie unless a large sweetener is coming. Maybe someone to go after if we can dump Ceci as he is all around better and much cheaper. Solid underlying numbers, solid defensive numbers, good Corsi and Corsi rel for a guy who would be a #5/6.
6'4 guy who plays the right side but is left handed. If your bottom 2 guys on the right side are Holl and Holden thats not bad, at a combined cap hit of 2.9m.

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020
Wow while I appreciate you can't hear inflection in a typed word you should have at least been smart enough to see it was a ficitious response to a ficitious post above it , but since it wasn't simple enough for you let me break it down for ya , I was saying Colorado doesn't want Barrie either , this is a thread about Barrie not Kadri . Second Colorado is extremely happy with Kadri , he's been the on and off leader of the league in faceoff % , his linemates are having career years playing with him whether or not he gets an apple when they score he always contributes at both ends of the ice . Theres no way they trade him back for even both of Barrie and Kerfoot with no kicker , for you to not grasp that is just sad man truely sad say again?

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020
I don't doubt theyre happy with him, hes a good fit for them. Other than that I have no idea what you're on about mate. Never heard the word inflection used in my life.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If Rielly and Ceci are out for the regular season, does this open up enough cap space for the Leafs to trade Barrie in a hockey deal for a bigger cap hit on defense?

If the Leafs continue to fall out of the playoff picture, you have to move him for futures.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If Rielly and Ceci are out for the regular season, does this open up enough cap space for the Leafs to trade Barrie in a hockey deal for a bigger cap hit on defense?

If the Leafs continue to fall out of the playoff picture, you have to move him for futures.

The chances of the Leafs being sellers by the tdl i think are close zero - management wont have any incentive to do so - theyve already spent a fair amount of futures already: theyll want to fight until mathematically eliminated

Now capspace does give the team more trade options - but i suspect itll see them look to add to the D via subtracting a forward than a D for Dswap. Personally I dont see any signs that management has any interest in trading Barrie.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The chances of the Leafs being sellers by the tdl i think are close zero - management wont have any incentive to do so - theyve already spent a fair amount of futures already: theyll want to fight until mathematically eliminated

Now capspace does give the team more trade options - but i suspect itll see them look to add to the D via subtracting a forward than a D for Dswap. Personally I dont see any signs that management has any interest in trading Barrie.

I think you're probably right in terms of management's inclination not to move Barrie, but if we are life and death to make the playoffs and out so many assets, it just doesn't seem to set the Leafs up well for the next few seasons. Unless their plan is to continue to sign guys like Mikheyev in large quantities to keep replenishing the system beyond the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad