What to do with Barrie?

• Total voters

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Given Rielly injury should we
A. Keep as an own rental for playoff run
B. Sign him for 8M that he wants
C. Trade him for hopefully a 1st rounder next year

Just curious where we stand now after Rielly injury ...

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I think the logical option is to keep him as a rental going into the playoffs. He makes the team better and not having him come the end of the year would be a major loss.The issue is if we lose out in the first round or miss the playoffs entirely, everyone will see this is a hindsight thing and wish we traded him at the deadline.

Personally I hope he stays as a rental, signing for 8 million will be a tough one.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I think we're locked into him for the season barring a great offer.

He hasn't been what we needed him to be. We needed a guy who could play top pairing minutes and he's proved that he can't do that on this team. He's played with a stay at home guy in Muzzin and a puck mover with Rielly and hasn't had chemisty with either. His positional play is spotty at best, his defense is lacking. He's a very good puck mover and PP QB. He's a complimentary 2nd pairing guy. That's about it though, unfortunately.

He'll walk at the end of the season.

Reactions: mikeyz and qqaz

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Hopefully the Leafs win the Cup cause otherwise that trade is going to look pretty bad once he walks.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
If the goal is to make the playoffs and advance, Barrie isn’t going anywhere because (like him or not), we don’t have any other viable options for the above at the moment.

So unless we acquire someone, I don’t see anyone moving. Next year I wouldn’t plan on paying Barrie or Ceci whatever money they want, so goodbye. We will retool the D in the summer. Re-sign Muzzin and look at the following UFA D:

Pietrangelo
Krug
Vatanen
Tanev
Etc.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
He's the wrong kind of player for this team to pay big money to when we already have Rielly. We just let Gardiner walk, and he's essentially the same player. Offence first 2nd pairing guy who makes glaring mistakes.

Barrie is good to have for this season, especially at the minuscule cap-hit. So I can't complain. Keep him as an "own rental", just like we did with Gardiner. But Barrie isn't a good partner for Rielly long term, and that's the hole we really need to fill.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If we could do a three way trade with Minny and a team interested in Barrie, I would move him assuming we get Dumba back.

For example:

To Leafs: Dumba
To Minny: 1st + Dermott + prospect from 3rd team
To 3rd team: Barrie

Reactions: LeafGrief

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I don't know why this is so hard.

The guy is a horrible fit for this team, is a UFA and is walking as he won't be worth the contract he signs, and we aren't winning the Stanley Cup this year.

You trade him for a 1st round pick that you include in a trade for a long-term solution at RHD like a Josh Manson, and you don't even think twice about it.

I don't think twice about this. Barrie's best value to us is a trade chip, for a return that we turn around and use in another trade for someone who actually will be of long-term value to us.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If we could do a three way trade with Minny and a team interested in Barrie, I would move him assuming we get Dumba back.

For example:

To Leafs: Dumba
To Minny: 1st + Dermott + prospect from 3rd team
To 3rd team: Barrie

Yeah that's the only way I can see Barrie being traded for futures - if we first trade futures for a long-term solution at RHD. Well, there's one other possible set of circumstances but that's unlikely and too depressing to think about.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I would be astonished if we did anything other than own rental. I don't think we have the money to sign him and I don't think that we'll miss him. I'm not particularly a fan and would be very happy to move him in a hockey deal right now, but there's pretty much zero way we trade him for futures unless we bomb hard and are out of it by the deadline.

The Rielly injury complicates things because we do need to have a PP QB and it's good to have strong offensive defensemen, but I think we would be okay giving Muzzin and Sandin the offensive minutes instead. It's a downgrade, but it would be worthwhile if we got a stronger defensive player IMO.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Given Rielly injury should we
A. Keep as an own rental for playoff run
B. Sign him for 8M that he wants
C. Trade him for hopefully a 1st rounder next year

Just curious where we stand now after Rielly injury ...

This is simplistic, in terms of what options there are, not to mention presumptuous. Rielly's injury isn't really relevant, to what we do with Barrie next year anyway.

Your codes.

B./ He might want $8M... or maybe it's $7M... or $6.5M?? (Probably not $6.5M)... but you have the conversation, because it's critical for planning...
C./ Is that definitively what he'd return?

As I've suggested before, the other option is... explore trading Rielly, and see if we can upgrade our RD in doing so. For example, after this year, St. Louis only has Gunnarsson signed as a LD.... If they sign Pietrangelo, do they move Parayko? Could we do a deal, Rielly for Parayko, and resign Barrie?

To build a D, with Parayko, Barrie, Muzzin, Dermott, Liljegren, Sandin, Holl, Marincin... would be a pretty solid D core IMO. Dermott becomes the Expansion draft victim in all likelihood, but that's something that can be overcome.... or Seattle picks a forward from us instead?? To build such a D, is a challenge on the salary cap though... no question there. Kapanen and Johnsson would have to be moved... for prospects or picks... and we'd have to hope that the rest of the RFA/UFA sign reasonably as well... we do have some leverage.

Like I've suggested, you have to have that conversation with Barrie and his people first. We like you, we are trying to find a way to improve.. what are your expectations for your next contract? Look, we've done the math, and this is what we can afford... if that doesn't work... he becomes an own rental.

There is zero chance we trade him, barring trades that brings in RD, and makes him expendable.

So many variables, that this isn't a simplistic discussion.

Reactions: ToneDog

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Doesn't work into our cap structure.

Rielly
Muzzin (cheaper better fit)
Sandin
Dermott
Holl
Liljegren? UFA? Trade?

With our big forward contracts and Rielly UFA in the not too distant future it doesn't make sense to give 8 aav to a guy that hasn't exactly been the best fit.

Reactions: TopCheese

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada
I don't know why this is so hard.

The guy is a horrible fit for this team, is a UFA and is walking as he won't be worth the contract he signs, and we aren't winning the Stanley Cup this year.

You trade him for a 1st round pick that you include in a trade for a long-term solution at RHD like a Josh Manson, and you don't even think twice about it.

I don't think twice about this. Barrie's best value to us is a trade chip, for a return that we turn around and use in another trade for someone who actually will be of long-term value to us.
Exactly this. Trade him west somewhere where an offensive D is needed like wpg or edm for picks/ prospects then flip the return with johnsson/ whatever for a responsible defensive dman

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
This is simplistic, in terms of what options there are, not to mention presumptuous. Rielly's injury isn't really relevant, to what we do with Barrie next year anyway.

Your codes.

B./ He might want $8M... or maybe it's $7M... or $6.5M?? (Probably not $6.5M)... but you have the conversation, because it's critical for planning...

As I've suggested before, the other option is... explore trading Rielly, and see if we can upgrade our RD in doing so. For example, after this year, St. Louis only has Gunnarsson signed as a LD.... If they sign Pietrangelo, do they move Parayko? Could we do a deal, Rielly for Parayko, and resign Barrie?

To build a D, with Parayko, Barrie, Muzzin, Dermott, Liljegren, Sandin, Holl, Marincin... would be a pretty solid D core IMO. Dermott becomes the Expansion draft victim in all likelihood, but that's something that can be overcome.... or Seattle picks a forward from us instead?? To build such a D, is a challenge on the salary cap though... no question there. Kapanen and Johnsson would have to be moved... for prospects or picks... and we'd have to hope that the rest of the RFA/UFA sign reasonably as well... we do have some leverage.

Like I've suggested, you have to have that conversation with Barrie and his people first. We like you, we are trying to find a way to improve.. what are your expectations for your next contract? Look, we've done the math, and this is what we can afford... if that doesn't work... he becomes an own rental.

There is zero chance we trade him, barring trades that brings in RD, and makes him expendable.

Yeah I get it. I was just curious, given Rielly's injury and more points for Barrie under Keefe, if thoughts had changed. To me I went from a for sure trade him to a keep him as an own rental (assuming we are still hunting in 3 weeks which I think we will be). And I see most people think same to keep him as an own rental. It worked out well last game. He got his goal and an assist to help on offense and then Keefe sat him for the last 5 minutes of game to preserve the win.

Reactions: LeafsRus

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
Exactly this. Trade him west somewhere where an offensive D is needed like wpg or edm for picks/ prospects then flip the return with johnsson/ whatever for a responsible defensive dman

wow i was going to say the exact same thing ...
you can litterally do a larsson+extras for barrie ... then another trade for another depth RHD guy (demelo dillon whatever)

we arnt winning in the playoffs with our pair of d being so inept in the d zone.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I'd rather we pay Reilly than Barrie. He's fun to watch, but he's a luxury we can't afford or really need. Own rental though seems like the most likely, I think people are underestimating how this team could do in the playoffs.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

Your codes.

On $$$ front he was traded from Avs because he told them he would not resign unless he got 8M per. Maybe his conditions have changed but I doubt it. So they turned him into a #2 centre which they needed to contend. and Sakic got exactly what he needed. what did we get? A borderline level #3 centre with speed that looks like he works better on the wing. And an own rental for 1 year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad